Looks like Weatherby has another 6.5

2five7

WKR
They should have just skipped the 6.5-300, and released a 6.5 based on the 257 case necked up. It would easily beat the PRC or 6.5-284. Offer a factory 140 at 3200, that's the reasonable ceiling for that bore diameter, IMHO.

• Banned
OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
The 6.5-300 is a Weatherby thing, go big or go home, I get it. This new one with a rebated rim is a head scratcher. It’s a rebated Ruger Compact Magnum.

This doesn’t solve a problem that exists, I think it’s more for ego. I hope they get the ROI and don’t lose their ass on it. If they do I guess it’s a lesson learned.

• Banned
OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
Over on the campfire a member had this from his Weatherby rep. Guess it’s coming. They better not dawdle as hunting season is here unless they’re waiting for SHOT.

Axlrod

WKR
The 6.5-300 is a Weatherby thing, go big or go home, I get it. This new one with a rebated rim is a head scratcher. It’s a rebated Ruger Compact Magnum.

This doesn’t solve a problem that exists, I think it’s more for ego. I hope they get the ROI and don’t lose their ass on it. If they do I guess it’s a lesson learned.
I does solve a problem that exists-Gun/ammo manufacturers need to keep the pipeline filled with new stuff to keep their sales increasing. If all they made were 30/06 and 223 sales would drop off rapidly once everyone owned a 30/06 and a 223!

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
These new calibers are interesting for sure, but I can't justify getting one over my current setup (300 wby)

MT257

WKR
I’m a 257 weatherby fan, have been since I was 12. I’m curious as to why now all of a sudden they are partnering with groups as well as the 30% drop in loaded ammo.

The RCM line was developed for short actions, this looks to go into the standard action category. The only niche I see this filling (besides just another option for WBY fanboy leg humpers) is that if you had an 06 or the like with a shot out barrel then you could just order a barrel chambered for this new 6.5. You'd forgo opening up the bolt face required to make the other hot 6.5's work and have some factory options for shooting.

I'd go the 6.5-06ai route myself but I can see the ads already about breathing new life into grandpa's old and inadequate 06 that's been sitting in the corner collecting dust.

khuber84

WKR
So this is basically a 264 win mag, no belt rebated rim and what looks to be a 35° shoulder? Makes zero sense to me.....

codym

WKR
I think these guys are trying to offer chamberings in factory options. The 6.5-06 is a great round but if you aren’t a experienced reloader or really interested in learning the chambering wasn’t really an option. Looks like they are trying to complete with the 6.5 PRC that seem to be pretty popular. I don’t understand why anyone is looking to rework .277 or .257 chamberings with some better high b/c bullets. The 25 creed with the 130 blackjacks is pretty impressive from what have seen for a PRS type rifle.

Danny1788

FNG
To me it looks like a 6.5-284 with the case lengthened to 2.5", If that is true it will out run a 6.5-06AI by maybe 100-150fps. Ive always wanted to build a 6.5-280AI with a simple neck down of 280AI brass. But if this has more case capacity and brass is readily available ill probably chamber one up just to see what it can really do with handloads and long throat.