Looks like Weatherby has another 6.5

Danny1788

FNG
Right, I haven't heard a single word about it yet other than this thread and the one on 24HR. Maybe its BS but it seems cool to me to utilize the standard boltface actions.

I have a 6.5-06 that will get an upgrade if this will clean up the chamber. I can see this being the basis for a bunch of future wildcats.

LightFoot

WKR
I see this as the 6.5 cartridge to fit the WBY ULW that is ~1 lb lighter than the 6.5-300, since it will not use the 9 lug action.

There are way too many other options to make this the new big thing. I also cannot imagine any company other than wby will chamber it in a rifle.

I'd use one, but not buy one.

I also wouldn't hate on anyone who does.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR
Right, I haven't heard a single word about it yet other than this thread and the one on 24HR. Maybe its BS but it seems cool to me to utilize the standard boltface actions.

The mentioned new cartridges on thier podcast last week

BlaserR93

FNG
Looking at the cartridge images here the case looks very similar to the euro 6.5x65RWS with its slightly rebated rim.
The 6.5x65RWS certainly is a great cartridge but really do we need another 6.5.
I feel there is so much development that could be done with the .277 as in projectiles, case capacity and barrel twist for the long range boys.
Cheers
JohnN

It does have a few perks over the 6.5 PRC.

1. Should fit and feed nicely in virtually anybody's LA platform. The PRC is an odd length that won't work in a lot of 2.8" SA guns (such as a standard 700), and it seems weird to have to put it in a LA.

2. Cheap 30-06/.270 donors can be used. No mag boltface needed.

3. Will likely work in a Tikka factory mag without mods.

Of course, most of the same things could be said for the 6.5-06 or the 6.5x284, and having to rely on Wby for brass/ammo supply seems like a big risk on both the quality and quantity side of things.

EmperorMA

WKR
I like it.

A 140 AccuBond started at 3075 will be a wicked killer of all manner of game at very long range and will hold up well when that big big bull appears in the trees at only 40 yards.

Of course, the same can be said of the 6.5 PRC but this new cartridge just seems to make more sense in standard ‘06-length actions.

Some sleeker bullets like the 143 ELD-X, 142 ABLR and the various Berger and Scenar options will give this new number some serious long-range credentials, too.

Just another excellent option for us that should be a top performer while falling just at or under most folks’ recoil threshold.

ianpadron

WKR
I see this as the 6.5 cartridge to fit the WBY ULW that is ~1 lb lighter than the 6.5-300, since it will not use the 9 lug action.

There are way too many other options to make this the new big thing. I also cannot imagine any company other than wby will chamber it in a rifle.

I'd use one, but not buy one.

I also wouldn't hate on anyone who does.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That's a really good point about the ULW.

5.75 pounds flinging a 140 grain accubond at almost 3100 fps has me re-thinking haha

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Rambler

FNG
They should have just skipped the 6.5-300, and released a 6.5 based on the 257 case necked up. It would easily beat the PRC or 6.5-284. Offer a factory 140 at 3200, that's the reasonable ceiling for that bore diameter, IMHO.

Agreed!

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm unfamiliar with Weatherby Actions. So the 6.5 WBY RPM isn't a short action caliber...I've read it's supposed to be a competitor to the 6.5PRC which is a short action caliber....the new rifles are listed on Weatherby's site. Good looking rifles. I don't know who makes the barrels. I was hoping for a Proof barrel chambered in 6.5 PRC but it looks like a Christensen Arms or a proprietary barrel in proprietary calibers. If the 6.5 WBY won't fit in a short action it seems like there's a TON of cartridges that will perform as well or better and you have a lot more ammo manufactures to choose from. Am I missing something?

I don't see the weight of the Weatherby listed on their website. Curious what it weights. I know Proof is coming out with some more rifles in their Elevation line however they all have the more LR/Tactical Stock which isn't something I'm interested in. I think they'll be out before the new year. I really like the Proof Elevation Rifle but want some more caliber options.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I like that they're trying new things but I don't know if they'll compete with the 6.5 PRC market. That said the numbers are pretty impressive and 4.9/5.3 pounds in a standard action IS pretty impressive. It'll check a lot of boxes for a lot of people in the market for an ultralight rifle.

idig4au

WKR
I dunno about this. new 6.5 MM offering. The proprietary brass and its availability would be my concern. I'm still a fan of the 6.5 x 257 WBY. Mine shoots 140 grain Accubonds at 3150 fps with a 24 inch barrel. There is plenty of 257 WBY brass available and all you need to do is resize the neck with a die from Redding. And its a sub 0.5 MOA shooter.

That said their rifle package in terms of performance and weight seem it will be hard to beat in a factory offering

That's a really good point about the ULW.

5.75 pounds flinging a 140 grain accubond at almost 3100 fps has me re-thinking haha

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The new rifle in the ti version is 4.9lbs, chambered in 6.5 RPM.

Kotaman

WKR
Here's my dilemma with this new round: So the 26" Backcountry Ti shoots the 127 LRX 3100 fps and the 140 gr. AB 3000. I would love to try this new Cartridge, but fail to see what it does that my 6.5 PRC doesn't do from a performance standpoint. My 22" Gunwerks 6.5 PRC shoots the 143 ELD X 2879. Prior to going to a 22" tube, my 24" tube was shooting right at 3000 fps. Guessing a 26" PRC would push the 143 ELD X in excess of 3100 and the 127 LRX faster than that. (EDIT: As per the below post, this is a 24" tube in the new Weatherby!)

Love the attempt at a ULW mountain rifle though. I LOVE more choices... :)

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Here's my dilemma with this new round: So the 26" Backcountry Ti shoots the 127 LRX 3100 fps and the 140 gr. AB 3000. I would love to try this new Cartridge, but fail to see what it does that my 6.5 PRC doesn't do from a performance standpoint. My 22" Gunwerks 6.5 PRC shoots the 143 ELD X 2879. Prior to going to a 22" tube, my 24" tube was shooting right at 3000 fps. Guessing a 26" PRC would push the 143 ELD X in excess of 3100 and the 127 LRX faster than that.

I'm just not a fan of a 26" tube for mountain hunting, but understand that most WB cartridges need some room to burn all that powder. I'd be more apt to try their factory offering if it was in a 24" tube. Love the attempt at a ULW mountain rifle though. I LOVE more choices... :)
Those velocities are out of a 24" barrel
26" oal with the break installed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Those velocities are out of a 24" barrel
26" oal with the break installed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

YES! You are correct...That's great news actually. I don't know what I was looking at...apparently the "OAL"...My interest is peaked again...thanks for pointing this out.