Losing fat and maintaining muscle the gold standard

If you have significant fat to lose you may even gain muscle.
Sadly, like so many things that are fitness related there's an overwhelming amount myths and misinformation surrounding body re-composition. This is largely because of marketing.

I was just thinking about the losing muscle topic. I try to do a quick weight routine in the morning a couple of days a week. I do this before I eat and don’t eat until I am at work, usually about an hour or more later. Am I limiting my work out benefits or even hurting my muscles doing this?

PShep93

FNG
Thanks for posting this, I personally get sick of hearing about all these "fad" diets. Everyone has a different body composition and needs to, through trial and error, find what works best for them. There is no one size fits all in regards to your diet, there are definitely good guidelines to follow, but not one set way of dieting.

I am a firm believer in counting macros and have identified the split that works best for me and my goals. I am able to adjust it as necessary if those goals change, currently I am just trying to maintain my weight and level of strength.

I was just thinking about the losing muscle topic. I try to do a quick weight routine in the morning a couple of days a week. I do this before I eat and don’t eat until I am at work, usually about an hour or more later. Am I limiting my work out benefits or even hurting my muscles doing this?
The answer is yes to both. Heavy resistance training fasted is not optimal. Muscle output and recovery are dependent on fuel (quality food). Getting up early and training is awesome and part of the puzzle. Now you just have to start feeding the machine.

OP
Coach Chris
No
The food you ate the night before is what's fueling your a.m. training and the "anabolic window" is a myth.

Study posted was for bodybuilding type workouts and perhaps showed no differences although I would still be skeptical. Particularly since it was previously trained men and only during a brief period were they even tested. One month I believe.
Regardless, I dont train for bigger biceps or cut calves. I train for raw functional strength, muscular endurance and aerobic capacity-things applicable to backcountry hunting etc. There are plenty of studies supporting benefits of nutrition prior to higher intensity and/or strength focused type training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who are starting to get involved in bodybuilding and weight loss should watch such videos as much as possible because only knowledge can help you lose weight or gain muscle mass. I have been bodybuilding for about ten years and sometimes even train people, paint a detailed diet, etc. Thank you very much for such videos! By the way, I was thinking about buy ostarine mk 2866 here because I reached my maximum three years ago. What do you people think, should I start taking anabolics or not worth it? To begin with, I think it's worth consulting a doctor. Good luck to ya

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Body re-composition, less body fat and more lean muscle mass, is where it is at for a healthier life as you age....no processed foods or very little, good strength training program including compound movements like dead lifts and back bar squats, regular low intensity aerobic capacity training, some high intensity hiit training.....Get With It.

There is way too much to it to cover here in detail w/o someone disputing the facts as everyone read an article on it. Experienced dedicated BodyBuilders and Powerlifters know the deal. They have to make weight classes, be cut and have size, or be very strong...depending. This, coming from a 61 year old 5'-6" 200 lb former powerlifter humping 500 lb deadlifts and 500 lb deep back squats, with a 320 bench and doing 130 stories on a stepmill in 35 minutes after 1.5 hours of heavy lifting...till I was 58. Now, I just lift to stay fairly strong and hit my treadmill for 75-80 minutes every other day. Bet i can still do 420/420/280. Anyways, its really really difficult to lose significant body fat and gain or even preserve muscle at the same time in an expeditious manner....could be done though but over a longer time-frame so most people just give up before reaching the goals...or quicker by specific steroid use which is ill-advised and illegal w/o a prescription from a doctor. Better to focus more effort on one goal than trying to do both. Anyone saying the anabolic window is a myth is full of chit and should be ignored. ALWAYS eat/drink some quick carbs and protein within 15-30 minutes after a workout followed by a protein-laden meal within 2-3 hours after the workout to gain muscle mass and for muscle recovery. I did a 16oz gatorade followed by 2 scoops of QUALITY whey isolate protein powder in 16oz of water 15 minutes later. You need the carbs to transport the protein into the muscle fibers. There are other additional non-steroid things you can do. Not all the supplements are sales gimmicks..many work very well with science and testing behind them.....they came a long way in the past 20 years. The anabolic window is a well-proven fact..ask Arnold and countless other pre-steroid BB'ers and powerlifters, plus Ive done it and experienced the results. Lots of little things that make a difference over time.