Losing the passion

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting since a very young age and hunting on my own for over 20 years I've tried it all and frankly I can't get the west off my mind

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Frankly I'm bored with the animal itself. I'm sure that's because I own a farm in prime whitetail country and I literally see them every single day. They are often in my yard and landscape. There's no challenge to finding them or wondering whether I'll see deer when I hunt. I've shot many dozens (please don't interpret that as a boast) with traditional bow and wood arrows. I've killed them from trees and ground stalks. I used to worry about big antlers but that aspect is totally secondary now.

I still have a strong desire to hunt, but with deer it's like broccoli. I can take it or leave it....mostly the latter.

Would you please speak english, I cant understand a durned thing you are saying.:(

Murdy

WKR
I'm a Midwest treestand hunter. I've been out west and loved it, but I still enjoy hunting whitetails. Take some time off from it, or slow down on it a bit. Maybe you'll get the bug back in a few years. Actually, the more I hunt spring turkey, the more I love that.

I run and gun whitetails. Do you have any corn fields in you area next to woods. Wait for a windy day or one of those light rain day walk the corn field cross rows look down each row play the wind move slow. Might have a chance to shoot a deer at 1 yard.

I went on my first elk hunt a month a go and it was beyond incredible but I’m not guna lie there’s part of me that longs to go back to the Allegheny Plateau and hunt deep woods whitetails along with those giant black bears and mountain long beards..... different worlds lie under the endless canopy

I went on my first elk hunt a month a go and it was beyond incredible but I’m not guna lie there’s part of me that longs to go back to the Allegheny Plateau and hunt deep woods whitetails along with those giant black bears and mountain long beards..... different worlds lie under the endless canopy

When you say Allegheny Plateau I hear you loud and clear.

Nothing says you have to have to choose the easiest path to success. Head to the mountains for a different adventure, but be prepared to eat some tags.

jsb

FNG
I get really tired of beating myself up chasing elk, so sitting my stand for whitetails or walking coulees for muleys seems like a treat. I have considered quitting elk hunting altogether it's just so much work. A year off would probably be a good idea.

Just a few hundred years ago this entire land was almost endless virgin hemlocks. You couldnt even see the sky most of the time according to the old indians. Most of my time hunting takes me back to a time passed. Back to the old days when a white man was a rare thing in the Alleghenys. If spotting and stalking with a bow or flintlock doesnt get your blood pumping in the late season and deep snow then i dont know what will. Its all qbout state of mind, not size of antlers.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

danarnold

WKR
Chasing elk with my bow pretty much ruined my Missouri Whitetail hunting, I’d rather beat myself to death on the mountain then sit in a stand getting stoved up waiting for something to walk by. I stand hunted last night, when I got down I had all kinds of body aches from sitting still... I’ll be back at it tomorrow tho. Ha

Frankly I'm bored with the animal itself. I'm sure that's because I own a farm in prime whitetail country and I literally see them every single day. They are often in my yard and landscape. There's no challenge to finding them or wondering whether I'll see deer when I hunt. I've shot many dozens (please don't interpret that as a boast) with traditional bow and wood arrows. I've killed them from trees and ground stalks. I used to worry about big antlers but that aspect is totally secondary now.

I still have a strong desire to hunt, but with deer it's like broccoli. I can take it or leave it....mostly the latter.

I still enjoy hunting for WT... and when i dream of deer, they aren't spikes. Between my urban honey hole and some ground that a friend owns, I have some opportunities for some very nice deer.

But those hunts occur in woodlots and treelines and are accompanied by the sounds of traffic, equipment, doors slamming, kids getting yelled at... and occasionally, the odd homeless guy.

I prefer hunting the big woods up in Northern Wisconsin. The deer tend to be fewer, farther between, smaller racked and keyed up because of the wolf numbers, but the aesthetics of the hunt appeal to me more. Some of my friends think it's stupid to spend precious, limited hunting time in such an area instead of devoting more time to where there are more numerous and bigger bucks.

Hunt some big woods from a tent Kevin. You might rekindle your appreciation for deer. It won't match the adventure of an Alaskan trip, but it still feeds the soul.

By the way, loved the line in one of your moose hunt stories about being somewhere where your entire value was measured in calories.

Short bloodtrails brother.

rayporter

WKR
this trophy was taken 5.1 miles from the truck in a wilderness in arkansaw! as I said ever since goin west I really make an adventure where I can. never seen another hunter. I could not go another mile on foot after 3 days. slept for 14 hours last night. health wise I am falling apairt.
I usually camp back in there but just could not manage this time.
pSXRHsb.jpg

FLAK

WKR
I fully understand. I have come to despise sitting in a tree stand, in fact I wont do it anymore.

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
To me it's just a routine I love the western style bust your butt scouting then go in and hunt hard then relax in winter and do it all over again I'd rather work hard as heck for one mule deer or one elk then just sit and wait and kill 5+ deer just not as much value in my opinion

Still hunt with a bow or mobile ambush from the ground.

Inside of 40 yards on a whitetail is a hell of a hard place to get to. You probably won’t get any cagey old bucks (I don’t) but it is a hell of a fun time. I hardly ever sit in a stand.

NoWiser

WKR
Sounds like you need to take a kid hunting. No better way to bring the excitement that you felt years ago back.

Trial153

WKR
Coming from a 18 feet up looking at empty woods from a NY treestand I can relate. Bowhunting out west and deer hunting in the midwest has ruined my hunting at home. I take little joy in it anymore as it compares so poorly to other places I regularly hunt.

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from a 18 feet up looking at empty woods from a NY treestand I can relate. Bowhunting out west and deer hunting in the midwest has ruined my hunting at home. I take little joy in it anymore as it compares so poorly to other places I regularly hunt.
I'm from Delaware and hunting has got so bad I travel every year just to enjoy hunting again

Lyle I 100% agree with you...... I think it’s all amazing and it keeps you in a type of shape mentally and spiritually that fires cylinders deep in our genetic memory that us as a species is meant to do.... to me all the kinds of pursuing of game is enough for my high.... whether chasing white tails way deep in north Pennsylvania into those endless jungles or going mountain over mountain thousands of feet of elevation gain and descent a day it all feeds the human soul.... I’ve even hunted the creek beds of Kansas and that was also an adventure.... it’s all a mindset and knowing where to go to avoid a good chunk of folk that helps

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt out west for elk every year an I love it. But there’s something special about sitting in the Oklahoma and Missouri hardwoods in November. Nothing beats it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk