Loss of a Mentor

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
A few days ago a mentor and dear friend of mine passed away very suddenly. In the 25 years I had the privilege of knowing him he taught me so much. I can’t remember a single conversation he and I had where I didn’t learn something. He was a true sportsman.

He also really helped me out when I came back from the Middle East with my head on sideways. You’d never know it, but he was a BAMF in Vietnam (went on to become a high school teacher) and his perspective on things like transitioning back into civilian life and dealing with mental health and PTSD was invaluable to me. He was also the best marksmen I’ve ever seen.

I’m sure it goes without saying, but it never hurts to be reminded, show love and gratitude for the people who go out of their way to pass on what they know. I can’t think of any better way to honor his memory than to pass on what he passed on to me.

As we get older, we all start to lose more and more of these type individuals. The loss leaves a "Hole" in our lives. I am sorry for you loss and you were blessed to have him there when you needed him. You honor him by continuing to share his knowledge, his wisdom, and his sense of compassion that he passed on to you.

Scoot

WKR
Sorry for your loss. You friend and mentor sounds like a true hero to me.

schmalzy

WKR
A few days ago a mentor and dear friend of mine passed away very suddenly. In the 25 years I had the privilege of knowing him he taught me so much. I can’t remember a single conversation he and I had where I didn’t learn something. He was a true sportsman.

He also really helped me out when I came back from the Middle East with my head on sideways. You’d never know it, but he was a BAMF in Vietnam (went on to become a high school teacher) and his perspective on things like transitioning back into civilian life and dealing with mental health and PTSD was invaluable to me. He was also the best marksmen I’ve ever seen.

I’m sure it goes without saying, but it never hurts to be reminded, show love and gratitude for the people who go out of their way to pass on what they know. I can’t think of any better way to honor his memory than to pass on what he passed on to me.

Sorry for your loss. I think you nailed it in the last sentence. Seems like he passed the torch to you, and being that mentor for another younger guy would certainly honor his life and memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
A nice tribute. Sounds like he was fortunate to have you as a friend as well.

EdP

WKR
Losing those folks definitely leaves a hole in our lives. Perhaps the best way to fill that hole is to step into it yourself and do for others what others did for you. That seems to be the path you are taking and I admire you for it.