lost fishing rod.

boom

WKR
there is a thread about the most expensive gear you've lost while hunting. i have good habits while hunting. i do an eyeball grid search, every time i get up to move. it's a great habit.

fishing, i am a mess. i kayak fish, so i am cramped for space. grabbing my paddle, i punted my good spinning rod into the lake (it was temporarily stored in a flushmount rod holder). 45-feet deep water , and fast moving current. the current moved me off the spot so quick, i didnt have time to mark it on my GPS. i know the general point and can triangulate it between rocks and trees.

damnit!! this happened new years day!! hahhaha.. i am over it, and my replacement setup came in the mail yesterday. i bought the EXACT same rig. it is that good.

summer fishing i have a prayer, since the fish will be shallow, water is warm and i can swim for it. winter, deep bass, 49 deg water, no way.

my scuba diver friend may go for it. :) but lessoned learned. i am putting those floats on my rods. and testing if they float. they have ones that also fit on the butt of the rod, but they may not work with kayak storage.

Been pretty fortunate while hunting. I've lost assorted pocket knives and a pair of binos once. That's really about it. Fishing, though..where to start..I'm like you. Kayak fish rivers quite a bit. The Trinity River in Texas has claimed several high end rod combos, a thermacell, a custom machete, frog gig, and an entire sleep system. Got rolled by a gar guide that I know personally in his jet boat for that one.

My father left 2 10wt Scott fly rod tubes in the airplane's overhead bin. OUCH!

Hondo

WKR
I once lost one of my favorite fly rods & reel in about 30-40 feet deep water lake cove. I was only about 30 minutes from the cabin and my truck so I mentally marked my spot and went back and managed to put together a drag fashioned from trot line cord and a big ol' #12/0 treble hook. It is a mostly rocky lake bed where I was but to my surprise it only took a few attempts before I came up with some fly line. Then I had to pull in the rest of the line and all the backing before my rod & reel came to the surface. I use a rod leash now.

I've lost many knives.

I have lost so much gear fishing in my yak...mostly in the salt water..if I can't put a piece of pool noodle over it or attached to it, it's not tied to the yak, or it doesn't float it doesn't go in my yak.

28" bigger redfish will eat your lunch in a 10.5 yak if your not ready when it hits...but I do love a good sleigh ride.

I have lost so much gear fishing in my yak...mostly in the salt water..if I can't put a piece of pool noodle over it or attached to it, it's not tied to the yak, or it doesn't float it doesn't go in my yak.

28" bigger redfish will eat your lunch in a 10.5 yak if your not ready when it hits...but I do love a good sleigh ride.
Can confirm, so much fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_182032395.jpg
    IMG_20200318_182032395.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 37
I sent a nice rod and reel to the bottom once. Luckily I got an anchor down fast enough I was able to pull it out with another rod after thing on a bunch of sinkers and the biggest trebel hook I had. That took some doing. I used to use the floats but hated them on my rods. I now generally practice minimalism in the kayak and am happier for it.

True story:
I lost a full tackle box that had my first pocket knife in it thanks to a downburst or tornado.
A storm rolled up on my Father and I really fast-we had very little time to get off the water. Unfortunately the side opposite from the safety of our vehicle or any structure was the best option. We barely rowed to shore in time, beached the boat while getting pelted with rain and hail, hugged a tree in the ditch thinking this was how it was gonna end.
It sounded like a jumbo jet was flying right above us. It lasted 5 minutes and was over as quick as it started.
We got out of the ditch and realized that our 8’ Sears John boat was about 200 yards down the lakeshore, capsized in the water.
Dad swam out and got the boat, found an oar, collected what stuff we saw floating and we went on home.
We checked the lake shore and never found our tackle boxes.
The only object not picked up and thrown were our fishing poles.
We counted our blessings that we weren’t harmed.

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I know what you mean about being cramped kayak fishing. The only rod I have lost was through an ice hole. At least it was in my buddys zone to watch, so I can blame him. We didn’t even see it go under.

Quite a few years ago I took my fiancé on our first and her only back country hunting trip. On the way out we got in a fight, and then one of the horses came close to dumping his packsaddle And it started snowing. So I was kinda distracted. We got back to the truck 45 minutes later with the snow piling up. I unpacked the horses and was stowing gear in the truck when I realized I’d left my rifle leaning on a tree, off the trail a ways, 45 minutes back up the trail. There are no cuss words strong enough except maybe “the f**kening”. Thankfully I have an almost eidetic memory for terrain and I was able to walk right up to it. Still an hour and a half slog in wet snow sucks. The girl and I split up not much later, but I still have that rifle.

WCB

WKR
Lost a $500 range finder bowhunting which was no big deal compared to one year guiding I lost my wallet with a client on the side of a shale slide. It was the last week of season and my boss was actually guiding a client 1 on 1, I was hanging around cleaning up equipment and shutting the lodge down. My boss has a minor emergency and sent me with the client for the day.

Being kind of n a rush I grabbed my jacket and day pack and took off with the client. We were moving in on a buck and sat down getting ready for a shot. As soon as I sat down I instantly remembered my wallet WAS in my back pocket and WAS no longer. $1500 of cash inside, plus everything else cards, license,etc. Once we were done for the morning I mentioned it to the client and we looked for about 30 min along the trail we moved across from the truck to where I noticed it missing. Nothing. Then it snowed 12in that night.

The day before I was planning on leaving the snow had melted and I went up to look for it....found it laying dead center middle of the trails...no idea how we didn't see it that day.