Lost money in a scam - What rangefinder should I buy?

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Not too long ago I lost $900 on a post to sell a SigKilo2400ABS

Was looking to do that and a set of Swaros to celebrate being back into hunting after a 5-year wait because of my work.

Decided against the new Swaro EL Range but now I'm back to the table on everything. I have a Kestrel, thought about doing a simple Leica or Maven rangefinder and calling it done but then I start reading about other options.

Since many have solid setups they trust, I'd love to hear any recommendations. I'm only a rifle hunter so I'm not worried about any bow necessities.

Thanks in advance!

Antares

WKR
I’ve been using the Leupold 1600. I like it just fine. Regularly gives me ranges over 1000 yards on non reflective targets.

Sled

WKR
if i were only a rifle hunter i'd consider some el ranges. since i'm not i now own a maven rangefinder. i had a leica 1600b stolen last month and previously used several leupold models. good luck with your search

Mojave

WKR
I am not convinced that for most western hunting it is preferrable to have a optic and laser range finder in the same unit.

Hunting in a tree stand it makes more sense.

I wish I would have a combined unit in Germany a couple of years ago on my roe hunts.

tdot

WKR
I certainly prefer my Leica 1600 vs the 2 different EL ranges that I've tried. I don't see a reason to combine the bino + range finder, atleast not yet, the rangefinders are progressing too quickly and I don't personally want to be swapping out Alpha glass every 3-5 years. Plan to switch to the Leica 3500 when I see them on sale. Maybe the following setup will be an integrated system in a few years.

I’ve been using Leica rangefinders for the last 10 years.

They‘re nearly bomb proof and I’ve tested the accuracy out to 2500 yards of objects at know distances. Always spot on. Excellent battery life. They still look brand new after heavy usage.

I‘m not a fan of range-finding binoculars - the ones I’ve used are heavy, and don’t range as accurately as stand-alone rangefinders. YMMV.

Last edited:
I have used a set of swaro el‘s and a leica range finder since around 2005. When I decide to update based on my needs and what I see as available options I will probably do relatively the same thing. When somethings has worked for me so long I cant hardly remember when I bought them I tend to stick with it. About time for that update. I am not exceptionally hard on optics but I have used them both quite a bit.
rubber coating on the leica is starting to deteriorate. Both still function flawlessly.