Lost Spotter

This hurts to post...

I took my brother in law out hunting in CO unit 15 this weekend and all signs are pointing to me leaving my spotting scope standing on the tripod right next to the truck.

I had been using it right next to the truck, then had to spend a few minutes to rearrange all of our gear in the back seat for the drive home. I can't believe I would have forgotten to load it up, but it's 100% not in my truck and 100% not at my house. Drove up there last night as soon as I realized what I had done and it appears it was scooped up.

I know it's nearly impossible odds, but if anyone on here happened to find a spotting scope on a tripod in unit 15 this weekend, I can provide exact details of the spotter, the location, and the time. Gonna really sting to have to replace it, but shame on me for forgetting it there in the first place.

If there is a better forum on here that would be better to post this in, please let me know.

I've been there, it sucks. Had severe case of head up ass and left a pair of Swaros/harness on a log while cleaning up camp and hurrying to get outta there. By the time I realized they were missing we went back and they were gone. Ended up getting them back a few days later through sheer luck from a contact we made on the mountain.

If it's a swarovski and you have it registered then call them and report it as lost. If whoever found it is honest and knows anything they will call swarovski with the serial number and they'll get in touch with you. I'm sure the other high end brands would have something similar. That's a sickening feeling, best of luck to you.

ckrhtr

FNG
Yep. I feel your pain! I left a pair of EL 12 x 50's on my bumper and took off down the highway, luckily they were found 6 miles down the pavement by one of our employees.

wyosteve

WKR
Brain fart moment for me too this summer. Left a large tackle box on the back of the boat on the highway. Bounced off somewhere and about $500 in box and baits now reside with someone else!

CoHiCntry

WKR
Really hope by some miracle you get your scope back!

I started putting those little address label stickers that has my name and address with my phone # on pretty much everything I take in the field from binos to tripod, spotting scope, range finder, GPS... anything I might lose in the field. Of course some people still wouldn't return it but I think a lot of people would? It can't hurt! Good luck!

It's not an expensive optic, but I am pretty sure I left a Seek Outside shelter along the side of a road this fall in Montana. Replacing it is 'only' $230 or so, but still bums me out.

mcr-85

WKR
I left a pack carrying all my optics under a pine tree on the side of the road after hauling out a mountain goat on mules. We got back to the trailer and I dropped my pack and started unloading and unsaddling. We loaded the mules in the trailer and left. My pack had a meopta spotter, a pair of zeiss 15s, and zeiss victory SF 10s and my tripod along with a .40 pistol and my inreach. I didn't realize I was missing it for 2 days. I pinged the shit out of the inreach that night quite a few times and not sleeping a whole lot making sure it was right where I left it. I got up there at daylight the next day and got all my stuff back. It is a sickening feeling for sure. Good luck with getting your spotter back!

OP
S
Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm happy to hear the happy endings you have had with close calls on lost items, and hope that I can chime in with a story of my own soon.

Buckman

WKR
Came out from a bow hunt one evening. Sat on the tailgate to watch a beautiful sunset. Flipped tailgate and drove home. Next morning go to remove bow from back seat, no bow, panic sets in. Yeah left it on the ground in sight of the road. Buried the speedo back to that public hunting ground parking lot. And by God it was still lying there on the ground. Used up years and years of good luck on that one.

While rearranging meat, ice, and gear, I laid a rack on the ground next to my truck. A guy pulled up and we chatted for a bit. He left and I hopped in the truck and went to leave. I see my rack laying on the ground in my mirror and promptly curse myself for being an idiot.

Another time I leaned my bow against the tire. Then proceeded to drive right over my cam.

Things happen...