Lost Taste!

Wapiti1

WKR
My wife and I both had it in November. Neither of us had any symptoms and only got tested because family members were testing positive. My wife's brother couldn't smell a dead skunk. Think about that for a second. We got it at my M.I.L.'s funeral. No worries there, she had a great life, had great kids, and we managed to create a booze vacuum in Indiana for a few days after the funeral.

Zero symptoms for either of us, yet positive tests. Nothing. Nada.

Then we went back to work 14 days later.

All family is now back to normal save our daughter who got it two weeks ago and still can't smell bleach. But she can smell some other things like PVC cement that I used to repair some plumbing last weekend in her home. Very odd on that front.

Jeremy

It seems to be very random. My first indication that I had Covid was when my wife walked into our living room and about gagged and got very upset that I hadn't changed our youngest diaper. . . I had no idea! That was a month ago, taste went along with it. I can smell may 50% now, but get a metallic taste and smell periodically and things don't smell right.

More like smelling components of a smell you remember. Steak on the grill is more fire/charing/peppery and not so much delicious meat.

Due to this smell conundrum taste is about 70% and gets wonky at times too. But oh well I guess, I'm just glad I'm the only one that had much for symptoms in my family. outside of the loss of taste and smell I've had to many hangovers to count that were worse than the virus! But it seems to be very different with everyone.

Hope you stay healthy and get your taste and smell back for christmas

Brianmp01

WKR
My wife lost both hers for almost 2 weeks, my buddys wife lost smell for like 4 weeks and taste for like 8 weeks.

boom

WKR
Wow from all what i read here i'm starting to get less scared of this deadly virus
Just talked to my friend last night. He lost taste going on 3 weeks. He said he thinks it’s coming back. He was also vomiting. He said you exhale when you vomit. His lungs couldn’t breath back after puking. He would panic. He learned to hold his breath and slowly inhale. He says it took about qt seconds to bring air back in. Constant vomiting with the runs to keep him honest. He thought he was gonna die because his lungs got worse and worse. He went to ER twice but they sent him back home because there was nothing to do about it. He is still very sick. He sounded like an old man on the phone.

I want the easy version for sure.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Just talked to my friend last night. He lost taste going on 3 weeks. He said he thinks it’s coming back. He was also vomiting. He said you exhale when you vomit. His lungs couldn’t breath back after puking. He would panic. He learned to hold his breath and slowly inhale. He says it took about qt seconds to bring air back in. Constant vomiting with the runs to keep him honest. He thought he was gonna die because his lungs got worse and worse. He went to ER twice but they sent him back home because there was nothing to do about it. He is still very sick. He sounded like an old man on the phone.

I want the easy version for sure.
That’s terrible. Some of the worst symptoms I’ve heard of. Hopefully he gets better soon!

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I lost taste and smell for about 8-10 days and then it slowly started coming back. Have heard anything from 3 days to a couple of people going on 3+ months that still don’t have taste.

elkyinzer

WKR
I went through a period last winter around New Years that everything just tasted off to me. Beer tasted like a piney garbage can. All I could drink was coors light. Anything smoked tasted like licking an ash bucket so I bought a pellet grill. Fried food all I could taste was grease, and that symptom has persisted. It wasn't like I lost taste or smell but only got the worst notes of everything.

Made me doubt my sanity at times. Makes me wonder if I had an early mild case because we are pretty sure my old man, a worldwide business traveler, had it last December.

Last edited:

Spike elk

WKR
Wife's lost of taste and smell was a week. Kids were just a couple days. I never lost mine and never felt sick. BIL loss of taste was over a month. I guess your mileage varies. For BIL that was his only symptom. Wife and kids felt a bit off for a day or two and that was it. Poor BIL was right around Thanksgiving.

Zslayer

FNG
My taste/smell was 💯 gone for 1 week exactly then started coming back slowly. Taste was first to start coming back....it was the weirdest thing! Sinuses completely clear but smell and taste completely gone!

03mossy

WKR
I completely lost my sense of smell and most of my sense of taste 3-4 days after initial symptoms appeared (persistent headache, fatigue, body aches, minor sinus congestion). It took me about 10 days after the sudden sensory loss to fully regain taste and about 14 days to fully regain smell. I didn't receive any treatment, just waited it out. Except for the extended sensory loss, the whole ordeal was no different than a moderate case of the common cold.
Exactly how it went for me too. Wife and all 4 kids as well.

Grumman

WKR
I finally picked up a small bag of Black Rifle coffee to try. On day 2 I couldn’t smell or taste it at all. It took about ten days to regain my taste fully. I wasted a good bag of coffee, should have switched to Folgers during that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I went through a period last winter around New Years that everything just tasted off to me. Beer tasted like a piney garbage can. All I could drink was coors light. Anything smoked tasted like licking an ash bucket so I bought a pellet grill. Fried food all I could taste was grease, and that symptom has persisted. It wasn't like I lost taste or smell but only got the worst notes of everything.

Made me doubt my sanity at times. Makes me wonder if I had an early mild case because we are pretty sure my old man, a worldwide business traveler, had it last December.
I’d say that’s possible, considering that last info about your father traveling.

Conroy

WKR
I had my first symptoms 9/4 and lost taste and smell 9/11. Because of those symptoms I went and got tested, and was positive. Ended up in the ER the 15th with a blood clot in my lung that is currently being treated with blood thinners. As of today I can taste about 50% of the things I eat or drink. My sense of smell still has not come back, except that I once in a while can catch a whiff of something if it is really strong. I was never more excited to smell a skunk the other morning before work. My girlfriend said it was really strong, but I could barely smell it.

Drenalin

WKR
It was about a month for me before I got my smell and taste back. We're 9 months out from when we had it now, and my wife still says she can't smell or taste certain things, or they don't have the right smell or taste. For example, she claims gasoline smells like peppermint.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I had my first symptoms 9/4 and lost taste and smell 9/11. Because of those symptoms I went and got tested, and was positive. Ended up in the ER the 15th with a blood clot in my lung that is currently being treated with blood thinners. As of today I can taste about 50% of the things I eat or drink. My sense of smell still has not come back, except that I once in a while can catch a whiff of something if it is really strong. I was never more excited to smell a skunk the other morning before work. My girlfriend said it was really strong, but I could barely smell it.

Glad you a doing better. How did you know you had a PE? Scary stuff...