Lost zero after storage

Sooo something weird happened. I usually run a 30.06 X-bolt but have a Toz-17 22 LR for plinking. Today when I pulled it out and started shooting, the zero was off by a mile. Like so far to the left that my trusty old Leupold VX-1 couldn´t adjust even halfway to the POI. I checked the whole thing over but could find no fault. I used same ammo as before, scope mount was solid. The POI was consistent, but way left. How can this happen??

Granted the scope only has like 50 moa windage adjustment range, but the POI was about 50 moa to the left as opposed to before.

any ideas?

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Smack the butt of the stock on the ground and listen for rattles. Either something is very loose or you puked a scope. Happens all the time.

OP
M
Thanks for the replies. I was planning on buying a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 for the X-bolt anyway so might as well try that on the Toz!

rayporter

WKR
some years ago my bud built a .240 weatherby for varmints and ground hogs.
it shot about a foot low after all the adjustment was used in the scope.

his cure? leave it set on the bipod all winter. for real. come spring it was on zero. face slap!

OP
M
Rayporter, that´s just weird, but if it´s stupid and it works, it aight stupid ;)

Bubblehide, after a bit of research, i have to concur. How about a Burris RT-6 instead? As a budget LPVO?

Fordguy

WKR
Just my experience with the 1-6 vortex strike eagle-. Only a sample of 1, but mine has done well, held zero for thousands of miles of travel every year (4 years now) and under moderately heavy recoil. I made an adjustment this year for the first time since sight in but not because I had to- just moved to a 150 yard zero from a 200 yard zero since most of my shots have been inside 150 over the last several years.

Sadler

WKR
Is that speculative or is there actual numbers to support?

Is it possible to get actual numbers from vortex, Leupold, nightforce etc on warranty claims/work? If someone could somehow get that info it would put a lot of these arguments to rest

CoStick

WKR
Is it possible to get actual numbers from vortex, Leupold, nightforce etc on warranty claims/work? If someone could somehow get that info it would put a lot of these arguments to rest
There must be or why would someone post it?

Possibilities:

1. Something has happened to the rifle itself
2. Something has happened to the mount (i.e., it's tight, but not right)
3. Something has happened to the optic.

To get a 50 MOA windage error on a scope with 50 MOA of windage, you shouldn't be able to shoot a group at all, because an optical element would have to have shifted inside of the scope, and it would be shifting from shot to shot, making it incapable of grouping.

I'd completely redo the mount and reshoot, then mount it on another rifle before I went through the trouble of sending the scope in.

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Re-mount / lap if needed / test.

Last yr. Natchez had Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's on clearence I bought 6. Nice scope and side AO down to 15 or 25 can't remember. Mounted one on newly acquired T1x in .22, really like the combination for the $.

Re-mount / lap if needed / test.

Last yr. Natchez had Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's on clearence I bought 6. Nice scope and side AO down to 15 or 25 can't remember. Mounted one on newly acquired T1x in .22, really like the combination for the $.

No reason to lap. Lapping ensures the rings are concentric to each other, not to the bore...

wapitibob

WKR
Things like scope internals don't normally move when just sitting in a closet. I suspect wood and cheap plastic stocks could move.