Love my new Mystery Ranch Selway!

NWhunt

FNG
I pulled the trigger and finally bought a do-all pack for my Oregon/Idaho hunting. I was looking for a pack that could hold 2-3 days worth of gear and food comfortably but still pack down for day trips. I do about 75% day trips and the rest is overnighters and a few summer backpack trips with friends and the kids. I've been using an older Camelbak Outlaw that my brother handed me down and it's served me well for 3 years as a day pack but lacks the size, frame and other features I was looking for. Budget was definitely a factor and I really needed a pack that could do everything I needed, last me many years, and not break the bank.

I looked at three different packs from Mystery Ranch (local retailer in my area) including the Metcalf, Sawtooth 45, and Selway 60. I liked the Metcalf a lot, but the fact it is on the Guide Light Frame and not yet on the new Guide Light MT Frame gave me some pause. Maybe a petty thing to most but since this is a big purchase, I thought it'd be best to go with the newest iteration they're offering. Also, for my body style, the comfort of the newer frame on the Sawtooth and Selway felt night and day more comfortable side-by-side. I really like how easy it is to access the frame on the newer model as well; one buckle on the inside and it slips right off. Needless to say, it came down to the Sawtooth and Selway in the end. The Sawtooth was really functional, laid out well, and had a lot of pockets and places to organize, which I usually like. My problem is that I couldn't comfortably fit 3+ days of gear and food in it without having to utilize the pack shelf and I didn't really like that for myself - I felt like it put the weight of the pack too far back and would make backpacking a little awkward for extended mileage.

So, I went with the Selway and couldn't be happier. It has all the real estate I need for my gear (I'm definitely not a minimalist hiker, but I don't pack the whole house either). All my gear and everything I need for several days in the back country is around 30 pounds and fills the Selway up with a little room to spare. I do feel like there was a little bit of compromise with giving up some internal pocketry and such, but honestly, I bought some mesh bags and the belt pocket and can easily organize everything that way. The zipper pouch on top is really nice too, as is the zipper access design - very functional. To me, it feels like a pack that will do everything I need it to whether out for the day or out for several. Mystery Ranch quality seems to be top notch, the thing is built like a tank but comes in right at 5 pounds, which felt lighter and less strappy than the Metcalf did.

I have a 3 day backpacking trip this coming weekend and I'll get a chance to put it through it's paces a little bit then, can't wait! I did a lot of research on forums and I was thankful for people's observations and input; very helpful.

Was the sizing on the new frame pretty true to the older frame? Thanks for the review - making my choice a little more difficult haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled the trigger and finally bought a do-all pack for my Oregon/Idaho hunting. I was looking for a pack that could hold 2-3 days worth of gear and food comfortably but still pack down for day trips. I do about 75% day trips and the rest is overnighters and a few summer backpack trips with friends and the kids. I've been using an older Camelbak Outlaw that my brother handed me down and it's served me well for 3 years as a day pack but lacks the size, frame and other features I was looking for. Budget was definitely a factor and I really needed a pack that could do everything I needed, last me many years, and not break the bank.

I looked at three different packs from Mystery Ranch (local retailer in my area) including the Metcalf, Sawtooth 45, and Selway 60. I liked the Metcalf a lot, but the fact it is on the Guide Light Frame and not yet on the new Guide Light MT Frame gave me some pause. Maybe a petty thing to most but since this is a big purchase, I thought it'd be best to go with the newest iteration they're offering. Also, for my body style, the comfort of the newer frame on the Sawtooth and Selway felt night and day more comfortable side-by-side. I really like how easy it is to access the frame on the newer model as well; one buckle on the inside and it slips right off. Needless to say, it came down to the Sawtooth and Selway in the end. The Sawtooth was really functional, laid out well, and had a lot of pockets and places to organize, which I usually like. My problem is that I couldn't comfortably fit 3+ days of gear and food in it without having to utilize the pack shelf and I didn't really like that for myself - I felt like it put the weight of the pack too far back and would make backpacking a little awkward for extended mileage.

So, I went with the Selway and couldn't be happier. It has all the real estate I need for my gear (I'm definitely not a minimalist hiker, but I don't pack the whole house either). All my gear and everything I need for several days in the back country is around 30 pounds and fills the Selway up with a little room to spare. I do feel like there was a little bit of compromise with giving up some internal pocketry and such, but honestly, I bought some mesh bags and the belt pocket and can easily organize everything that way. The zipper pouch on top is really nice too, as is the zipper access design - very functional. To me, it feels like a pack that will do everything I need it to whether out for the day or out for several. Mystery Ranch quality seems to be top notch, the thing is built like a tank but comes in right at 5 pounds, which felt lighter and less strappy than the Metcalf did.

I have a 3 day backpacking trip this coming weekend and I'll get a chance to put it through it's paces a little bit then, can't wait! I did a lot of research on forums and I was thankful for people's observations and input; very helpful.

That is a sweet pack -- and the new GuideLight MT frame and waistbelt are really solid (Sawtooth, Selway, Beartooth have them.)
I have used the Selway for multi-day hunts and even a late November mule deer day hunt where I had layers, tripod, spotter, food, etc. packed in, and being that it was 10°, snowing and windy, I appreciated having the space to bring more gear and just stuff it away when needed.
Good choice!

OP
N

NWhunt

FNG
Was the sizing on the new frame pretty true to the older frame? Thanks for the review - making my choice a little more difficult haha.

The sizing was pretty similar I felt. I'm typically a medium in most things (5'11" and 32 inch waist). Medium on the Guide Light MT frame fits me better than medium on the Guide Light, and I have room up or down either way for adjustment. The padding around the whole belt was definitely a selling point for me as was the comfort of the lumbar pad. Just felt more snug than the other frame to me.

OP
N

NWhunt

FNG
That is a sweet pack -- and the new GuideLight MT frame and waistbelt are really solid (Sawtooth, Selway, Beartooth have them.)
I have used the Selway for multi-day hunts and even a late November mule deer day hunt where I had layers, tripod, spotter, food, etc. packed in, and being that it was 10°, snowing and windy, I appreciated having the space to bring more gear and just stuff it away when needed.
Good choice!

Thanks for the confirmation. I think the only time it might get a little tight is if I do cold weather multi-day back country trips. But for me, that is about 5% of what I'll be using the pack for so I think it'll be fine.

OP
N

NWhunt

FNG

Just saw that GoHunt.com has the new Selway on the MT frame for $375 for their 4th of July sale... that's a steal in my opinion...

Just saw that GoHunt.com has the new Selway on the MT frame for $375 for their 4th of July sale... that's a steal in my opinion...

Oh man - might be a bad day to be my wallet hahaha. Thanks for the heads up!