Loving the Hanwag Mountain lights

cmeier117

WKR
Justin, have you ever had any Hanwag boots before? What other boots have you uses? I really want to try some.

trkyslr

WKR
Mountain lights are sick!!! I had one little spot in the heal causing a hot spot so I sent it in to lathrops and they're gonna fix the problem. I had an upgraded package. For me I'll wear them mid September and on in the highcountry. Before that I'll wear my solomans trail runners as the mountain lights get hot if thetemps are high.

OP
justin davis
I have a pair of Hanwag Alaskans as well. Both are great boots! And Lanthrop and sons is a great company. They really take care of their customers. Boots ive worn in the past...Lowas, Asolo, Scarpa

Chad R

FNG
Justin, how do the Mountain Lights compare to the Alaskans in terms of ankle support? I have worn out my Alaskans and am considering replacing them with the Mountain Lights.

trkyslr

WKR
Chad, I can't compare them cuz I've never worn the alaskins but the mountain lights had a ton of stiff ankle support.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the Mountain Lights also Just havent pulled the triger. How do they compare to the Alaska GTX (My current pair). I really like the Alaskans, but they are quite heavy and hot during september.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Mine (12's) weigh 2 lb., 6.5 oz. each, with custom footbeds that are not from Lathrop. The only knock I have is that the upper hooks for the laces wil bend if you're not careful, the metal is fairly malleable.

OP
justin davis
As far as comparison to the alaskans. They are lighter but the same great support. Both are great boots. Hard to pick between the two

How is the waterproof-nes of the lights? Also how are they side-hilling? I currently run Kennetrek mountain 400's which are to hot for me and there isn't enough torsional rigidity so the inside edge of my boot will not "cut" into the face when side-hilling but rather roll flat against it. It's been tempting to make the jump to plastics but the mountain lights sure look like a great all round alpine backpacking/hunting boot and the under $300 price point would make the little lady happy!

whitingja

WKR
Just looked at lathrop site. Says mountain lights are 3.3 lbs. Only .5 lighter than Alaskans. Am I seeing that right? Seems a little heavy.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well my Mountain Lights were on my door step when I just got home from 13 days away from the house backpacking.

Put it on my scale to compare my Alaskans I already had to the Mountain Lights (both with the standard grey Hanwag in sole to keep it fair ;) )

Hanwag Alaskan in Euro size 44= 33.9 oz
IMGP1381.jpg

Hanwag Mountain Light in Euro size 44= 29.5 oz
IMGP1382.jpg

So in size 44 per pair makes the Alaskans at 67.8 oz or 4 pounds 3.8 oz
Mountain Lights at 59 oz even or 3 pounds 11 oz

So the difference between the two boots per pair in size euro 44 is around 9 oz overall. Certainly not a huge margin. The Alaskans are almost exactly 15% heavier than the same size boot in Mountain Lights I guess if I crunched the numbers correctly. I'm guessing that the Mountain Lights will dry out faster when I WILL go over the boot tops though than a standard leather or nubuck boot I am accustom too. More testing with lots of over the boot top creek crossings to come later this months. :D

Hope that helps.

Looks like a good boot! I should have my Alaskans in a few weeks, plan to wear them all summer over here so they are good and broken in by the time I can hit the hills back home.

Last edited:
Ran the Scarpa for years. Purchased Hanwag Yukons early this year. All leather and no goretex. I knew right when I tried the Yukons on this my new hunting and hiking boot. Comfortable right out of box and little break in period was my experience.