Low carb ?’s

adaptablesurvival

Lil-Rokslider
For myself, I've had great success with intermittent fasting. I generally do a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window. But there are days I break the fast early or push it later. I've experimented with various ways of each. What I found from the many diets or ways of eating, was if I rotated between low carb days with high carb days. My weight stays pretty consistent, but I haven't really tried to cut weight lately, but will be making it a focus after a training course in November. My best advice would be to experiment with various ways of eating and figure out what responds best with your body. Not everyone metabolizes nutrition the same, so figuring out how food makes you and your body feel is a great tool to making weight changes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Not hard to get extra body fat to come off if you just avoid processed foods.....phase em out over a few months. To really get lean after that you need to be right on top of your nutrition. Counting carbs or calories is not enough in my opinion. There are many facets to good nutrition: healthy fats, healthy proteins, healthy carbs, omega 3 to 6 balance, good supplemental vitamins and bca's, proper amounts for your body of all these things and I am sure I left some out. Good luck if your just tracking calories in and calories out....and at the same time trying to achieve serious fitness goals especially as you get up in years..

1/3 of the country is seriously obese.....most of the other 2/3 has extra fat they do not need and which hinders those folks quality of life...not a very big % of people in the USA are lean and strong. Join the small band of folks who are.

Dumping almost all processed foods from my diet has been one of the best things I ever did.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Zap, do you believe that a pound of bricks is heavier than a pound of feathers? A calorie is a calorie, is a calorie. Dont matter if its quinoa or pizza

*zap*

WKR
A pound of bricks is very different from a pound of feathers if they fall on your head from 20' up.. A big gulp soda is very different from the equivalent in calories in grass fed beef or wild caught salmon. They may have the same calories but I am pretty sure there is a difference nutritionally. Therefore just counting calories is not for me...but you can do as you like.

I don’t know anyone that is counting calories long term. You’re going to be hungry all the time, and eventually loose the battle. A calorie deficiency is definitely unsustainable, since it will eventually result in death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I use Cronometer, and there is a lot of UK brands on it (eg. Tesco pork belly). You can add your own foods (and recipes) but it's only visible to you, so other people's (possibly incorrect) values do not mess up the database. It can also be set for ketogenic macros, which is a plus! BTW, I use the website (also on my phone), not sure if the app is as good.

a thing to note, keto (low carb) needs to have a higher percentage of fat, or you will feel like crap. Personally I've lost 28 pounds in 2 months on keto. My weight loss previously stalled because I did not get enough fat, so, up your butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, coconut MCTs, and you will begin to feel less crappy and with more results.

Mike 338

WKR
People talk about "intermittent fasting" like it's some kind of new thing. I call it "skipping a meal". Dropping weight is about the easiest thing you'll ever do. It requires zero effort and zero money. It's basic addition and subtraction. You take in less calories than what it takes to maintain your current body weight and bingo... your dropping lbs. Any way you do it is up to you but I dropped about 25% of my weight firstly by counting calories in my breakfast. I came up with a breakfast that was 600 calories and that's what I ate. Later I just decided to forget breakfast altogether. Well, that's 600 more calories a day I wasn't throwing down my neck. If I got hungry, I'd get a cup of coffee. Later I decided to skip lunch. When I got hungry, I'd get a cup of coffee and by 2:00 in the afternoon, heck, it was only a few hours till it was time for dinner. I could deal with that. Hey... I'm down to one meal a day. What's odd if I got less hungry when I got down to one meal a day that when I was down to two meals a day. Go figure! Anyway... I'd eat anything I wanted for dinner including a snack afterwards. I figured I had about 1500 or 1600 calories to play with and your can throw back a fair amount of food with that much leeway. It took me a couple years but I ran around those mountains this year like a jack rabbit and my weight loss required zero gym time.

Here's the big secret when you get hungry. Occupy your mind. If you got a job to get done, your not thinking about your gut. If you can't find something that needs to be done, you got more problems than your weight.

*zap*

WKR
Good fats can be had with avocados, natural nut butters, wild salmon/tuna, eggs, grass fed beef, walnuts, and good fish oil among other things....I try to keep my omega 3 intake high.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been doing keto for some time now. We both feel great and have lost weight. For me the keto lifestyle is very easy, I love the high fat foods. I do occasionally miss a chocolate shake or some other sweets. I never liked eating fruit, so this is very easy for me.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm basically clean eating. I keep my carbs at about 50 grams a day but eat plenty of meats and vegetables. I've completely dropped processed sugars except for what occurs naturally in whatever I eat. I don't eat starches any more and stay away from simple carbs. No fast food and juices. I will cheat with my favorite ice cream every now and then. I'm only 5'5" but weigh in at 165 with a 10% body fat. I also don't eat after 7:30pm or so and not before Noon. A big part of what I do to keep the weight down is a heavy work out schedule. I do a regular strength style workout at lunch 3-4 times a week and then Crossfit after work 3-4 times a week. The weekends I'm either hunting, working in the yard or somewhere doing something. Pretty much non stop. Over the last 6 months since I've dropped processed sugars and starches I feel completely different. Much better overall. I did cheat the other night and had pasta. Felt terrible later that night and the next morning. Way too many carbs all at once.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Check out a book called "The Obesity Code". It's good to know the power of hormones, such as insulin and what makes us gain weight to begin with . The book also talks about the whole fat and calorie myths, based on real science vs studies done on rats. I know there are a million books written on weight loss but it's good to actually know the biochemistry behind weight gain to maximize weight loss.