Low cost game bags

Ryan Pent

FNG
Been looking for black Ovis xl bags but can’t see my to find them anywhere.

I know you get what you pay for, but I am curious if anyone has experience with lower cost synthetic bags specifically eagle rock gear (which are huge and seem like over kill for an elk) or the Allen back country quarter bags.

There are not a lot of reviews for either. Seem to be good and bad reviews for both.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on Camofire, they seem to pop up once a week. I’ve used them for a few years now and they have been great, no complaints and no reason to switch.

OP
R

Ryan Pent

FNG
Keep an eye on Camofire, they seem to pop up once a week. I’ve used them for a few years now and they have been great, no complaints and no reason to switch.

I look daily. Seems like they only have the larges any time they show up. Maybe that will change before I get to the mountains.

muddydogs

WKR
Allen bags are good to go. The larger size will handle a bone in elk quarter no problem, the smaller size are about overkill for deer.

I carry the 4 pack of the Allen larger bags and one smaller bag from the small Allen set and the meat bag from the XL Black Ovis set for elk. For deer I just carry the 4 smaller size Allen's. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have purchased the Black Ovis bags and just purchase one set of the Allen big bags and a set or two of the Allen small bags. If you want a smaller loose meat bag just cut down a smaller Allen bag, sew a couple seems and make 2 bags.

I have used the Allen bags. Can't complain about them. Think they are slightly heavier than my tag bags. I remember thinking after using them that they were actually a pretty good deal.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Used pillow cases from goodwill for deer quarters or boned out elk. No the lightest but for $1 each you can toss the set after each season. Used them for years until switching to Caribou bags.

bmf0713

WKR
I have some ajillis game bags off amazon for under $20 that work good. Seem really durable and clean up good.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use the Allen Backcountry Meat bags ($25/4-pack). They are 20"x30" and I carry five or six bags, but I normally debone. 28"x50" is huge.

The Allen bags are good. Multiple quarters packed out and multiple washes and they’re going strong. Compared to the nicer ones you would not want to use the draw string to hang a big quarter, they are cheap strings. But for $20...

Close to that price point you might consider bags from Jimmy Tarps. I have a set of boned out bags that I've carried 5 or 6 animals in. Most recently after putting the meat up I left the bags hanging out on my garage floor for long enough to be embarrassed about it, figured I'd have to replace them, but again they washed up great and I think I'll get another half dozen animals through them.

I have used the Allen bags. Can't complain about them. Think they are slightly heavier than my tag bags. I remember thinking after using them that they were actually a pretty good deal.

Thinking about it now I don't know if they were Allen bags. They came from Wally world. Might have been mossy oak brand. They weren't stretchy. White with a drawstring. Definitely heavier than tag bags or any of the popular lightweight bags. But they were cheap, and definitely lighter than canvas. Bought a few more when I was leaving town to use around home. Need to find them.

Wrench

WKR
I have some made by gote that are American made and good quality. They're bulkier than my tags but tougher for sure.

CMF

WKR
I ordered these off Ebay.
UL HIKER - Ultra Lite Set 5 Reusable Big Game Bags- Boned Out New
First set of bags I've had since I don't use them whitetail hunting, I don't have anything to compare them against, but I've been hauling 35.lbs of sand around in them training and corn in them to run cameras and they seem fine.

The synthetic Allen bags, come in a bright orange carry bag.

Yeah I just got mine out because it was bugging me. They are mossy oak brand. Not Allen. At least according to the label. But I think they might be the same bags. Just mossy oak put their name on them.

On the bag situation. Anybody ever get their bags back into the little baggy they come in? After I unwrapped my tag bags I couldn't hardly get them back in. Use a lid as my kill kit so have just been shoving my bags in there with all the other required stuff.