Low Cost Spotting Scope?

Rich M

WKR
Planning 3 more future DIY hunts for mule deer/elk/antelope. I did an antelope hunt in 2017 and things went fine with 10x40 binoculars but antelope are antelope.

Anyway - liking the idea of a spotting scope, will use it for the proposed hunts, shooting range trips, vacations, and for looking at the moon & stars with the grandkids.

Have absolutely no idea what I need or what I should get. Will not be doing serious pack-in hunts, just wandering around in the hills and spotting for mule deer/elk.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Figure a $500-$600 budget.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I do like leupold scopes - was looking at the spotting scopes like the Ventana and Gold Ring - just no experience with them.

How far does the 30x function well? Figure on just finding animals and seeing if there are antlers, not trying to size racks.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Leupold, Hawke, Minox, Kowa, Athlon. There;s great options in your price range. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I have the vanguard 65mm. Works for me. The quality of the glass seemed better to me then others in a similar price. Sometimes I wish I bought a 50mm scope. Seems kinda heavy packing it around some days.

I've been happy with my 65mm Vortex Viper. It's not high end but it's pretty clear and solid at light gathering. I can consistently spot elk up to the end of legal shooting hours from 3-4 miles away. The Athlon Ares is much smaller and has similar glass quality from what I've read. I might go with that one if I had a redo.

Many guys on here think you have to spend $2k on a spotter and I really don't get it. They obviously have much bigger budgets than me. I can find plenty of game with the mid range spotter.

Matt G.

WKR
you can get the cabelas krotos 65 for 400 on ebay... very similar to athlon ares...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rr.taylorjr

Lil-Rokslider
My son has a Vortex Diamondback and its crystal clear and he got a excellent deal on it. Keep your eyes on the classifieds, people always looking to off load them and there is always deals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
For 200 yards, that spotting scope is probably ok, but it is tough to find a spotting scope in that price range that doesn't move around a lot. I will tell you that the tripod it comes with is probably useless. My advice is don't throw away the original packaging until you are sure you are not going to return it.

For budget scopes, Konus has a pretty good reputation, but the tripod is critical. If intended use is really just looking downrange to check a target, you might be better of with something hand held. If you plan on working with a spotter who will call out your shots, you need a spotting scope.

I would also advise you check out optics planet.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For 200 yards, that spotting scope is probably ok, but it is tough to find a spotting scope in that price range that doesn't move around a lot. I will tell you that the tripod it comes with is probably useless. My advice is don't throw away the original packaging until you are sure you are not going to return it.

For budget scopes, Konus has a pretty good reputation, but the tripod is critical. If intended use is really just looking downrange to check a target, you might be better of with something hand held. If you plan on working with a spotter who will call out your shots, you need a spotting scope.

Well said

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Thanks everyone!

I ended up talking with Ilya on Optics Talk/SWFA - he has some decent reviews on diff products. Been a fan of his for years now.

He led me to the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 mm.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone!

I ended up talking with Ilya on Optics Talk/SWFA - he has some decent reviews on diff products. Been a fan of his for years now.

He led me to the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 mm.
Field of view is limited on that 50mm making it less user friendly imo

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk