Low Light Rifle Scope Testing

I mmm not sure that’s legal in Alabama. I’m almost positive that thermal can’t be used for hunting. Id guess a night vision scope would be out as well.
For deer only or all types of game? I am pretty sure feral pigs and coyotes can be taken with night vision and thermals.

I’d rather spend less on the scope and more on guns, gear, and hunts to be honest.
There is a breaking point where the rifle can have more scope than the shooter can use. There is no point in running a $2k NF scope on a rifle where you are only going to be shooting 100 yds in decent light. There are lots of $500 scopes that will make that shot happen 99% of the time. But that is a decision for the shooter to balance between skills, pocket book, and needs.

I will say it does not take much skill to out pace most $500 scopes and then wish you had purchased a better glass.

Last edited:

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
I am a huge Nightforce fan. Having had several atacrs I eventually traded them off for the nx8 models of varying powers. The glass is not as good as atacrs but the fit, feel, and function just works for me. Never had any return to zero issues dialing like I have with leupolds.

The nx8 2.5x20x50 being my favorite. Lowlight is great for my uses.

That being said, if I am hunting in timber, my all time favorite scope is the trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56 with the green mildot reticle. Just an awesome scope for the money.
The 3-9x40 accupoint is no slouch if you want an ultra-light rig.
My .02