Low-Mid range Bino Suggestions?

I know this is a common topic and I should buy the best I can afford but without getting long winded, I'm a whitetail hunter that will spend 1 week out west with a tight budget. As I get more and more opportunities to get out west and spend more time glassing an upgrade will be made but for the time being I am looking at the following:

Leupold BX-2 Alpine HD - 10x52
Zeiss Terra ED - 10x42

Coming from an original pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42's and purchasing either one used at a solid price, what would you all suggest between the 2?

I know there are other options but these are 2 used sets I can get a solid deal on.

OP
Timberdonkey_059

Doug,

Thanks for the input and really value your opinion. If i were able to but $400-$500 binos new right now i would definitely order one of these. Unfortunately for the time being that is not the case and I can get both options I listed for significantly lower in like new condition second hand to get me by for now.

When a real upgrade happens you'll be the first person I reach out to though!

nobody

WKR
The Leupold binos have eyepieces that don't fit my face, but my brother bought those exact Alpines last year. Objectively, for the price, those things are really bright and solid. They're better than dad's old Bausch and Lomb Discoverer HD's that he ran for years and years, and those cost him about $600 back in about '02. They wouldn't be a bad investment at all!

Have you looked through those Zeiss Terras? Personally, I can't believe Zeiss puts their name on them. They're pretty disappointing optically. The glass has a yellowish hue to it that just looks so freaking dim.

If I was you and was looking under $500 for binos, I would look at Vortex Vipers and Maven C Series. I've spent significant time behind both in the past and can easily recommend them, they never hindered our success in the field. The Alpine HD's are great as well, but I wouldn't recommend them simply because I don't like their eyecups. If they fit your face and you like the view, then they're a good option for you.

EDIT: just saw your response to Doug, didn't realize you were looking at closer to the $300 mark and under. In that case, buy the Alpine's or save a bit and buy the Maven C1's in 10x42 for $350.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
The Leupold binos have eyepieces that don't fit my face, but my brother bought those exact Alpines last year. Objectively, for the price, those things are really bright and solid. They're better than dad's old Bausch and Lomb Discoverer HD's that he ran for years and years, and those cost him about $600 back in about '02. They wouldn't be a bad investment at all!

Have you looked through those Zeiss Terras? Personally, I can't believe Zeiss puts their name on them. They're pretty disappointing optically. The glass has a yellowish hue to it that just looks so freaking dim.

If I was you and was looking under $500 for binos, I would look at Vortex Vipers and Maven C Series. I've spent significant time behind both in the past and can easily recommend them, they never hindered our success in the field. The Alpine HD's are great as well, but I wouldn't recommend them simply because I don't like their eyecups. If they fit your face and you like the view, then they're a good option for you.

EDIT: just saw your response to Doug, didn't realize you were looking at closer to the $300 mark and under. In that case, buy the Alpine's or save a bit and buy the Maven C1's in 10x42 for $350.

Awesome input and really appreciate it man! I have not looked through the Zeiss as they weren't even on my radar until i found a used set online for $300 with a marsupial harness included so I just now started looking into them. Before I was sold on the Alpines as I can get them for $200... As I mentioned both are a such a good deal that I'm pretty much deciding between these 2 only and want to jump on one of them today before they are gone... Might not be able to resist though and just get both and sell one of them.

Only question i have on the Alpines is if ill like the 52mm, and now wonder about fit as well.

nobody

WKR
Awesome input and really appreciate it man! I have not looked through the Zeiss as they weren't even on my radar until i found a used set online for $300 with a marsupial harness included so I just now started looking into them. Before I was sold on the Alpines as I can get them for $200... As I mentioned both are a such a good deal that I'm pretty much deciding between these 2 only and want to jump on one of them today before they are gone... Might not be able to resist though and just get both and sell one of them.

Only question i have on the Alpines is if ill like the 52mm, and now wonder about fit as well.
I understand that logic completely. On the 52mm objective, I think you'll like the view. The bino is physically larger than a 10x42 for obvious reasons, but the extra 10mm increases your exit pupil (the amount of light reaching your eye) by a good margin.

Exit pupil is the diameter of the column of light when it exits the back side of the binocular, you can see it if you hold the bino at arms distance and look at the ocular lens. It's found by dividing the second number (objective lens diameter) by the power. So a 10x42 binocular has a 4.2 mm exit pupil, and the 10x52 has a 5.2mm exit pupil. If you hold glass quality equal, the larger exit pupil will result in better resolution in low light. The human eye optimizes between 4 and 6mm, so the 5.2 is almost as high as you can go without having wasted size and weight.

Basically, glass quality held equal with a larger objective lens will lead to a brighter and crisper image. It's also a good way to increase the performance of lower tier glass. Shove more light through it and it increases the perceived glass quality. It doesn't mean they'll compete with the top tier glass on the market, but it helps to offset some of the lower performance for sure.

Laramie

WKR
I bought my Vipers "used" for $300. They were essentially brand new but had been owned by a guy for a month. I see them for sale in like new condition in this price range fairly frequently.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
I bought my Vipers "used" for $300. They were essentially brand new but had been owned by a guy for a month. I see them for sale in like new condition in this price range fairly frequently.
Definitely keeping my eye out!

No experience with the leupold but I have some zeiss Terran’s I’ve used for several years before upgrading to vortex razor hd 12x50 (thank you wife). They served me well what what I needed. Can’t complain really for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, neither of the bins you asked about are enough better than your Diamondbacks to warrant spending the $. The next step up from your Diamondbacks, that might be worth spending money on, are the Viper HD's. And then next up are the Leupy BX-4 Pro Guides and Maven C1's

Personally, if I were using diamondbacks and on a tight budget, I'd just use them until I could find a used pair of BX-4's, Maven C1's, or Meostars at a good price. To me, those three are the most affordable "glass all day" bins I know of. Anything less - even the Viper HD's - will not give you a pleasant extended glassing experience.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Newtosavage, neither of those binos are a increase in quality over your diamondbacks. I’d save the money and hunt with the Diamondbacks. You’re on the path that many make, which is incrementally upgrading until they finally get to premium or alpha glass, in the long run having spent way more than just saving and using the “buy once, cry once” method. Also the resale on all those binos is garbage, so you’ll be stuck with a nice collection of low end glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Timberdonkey_059
You will like them. Very good resolution on those and easy on the eyes for long glassing sessions.
Here in the Midwest I don’t have many long glassing sessions but hopefully more in my future out west. I’m excited to get them in my hands and give ‘em a test. I’ll run em for indoor archery season a ton but 20yds won’t do them justice im sure lol

nobody

WKR
Thanks guys, I just sucked it up and found a decent deal on some bx-4 pro guides. Hope they are worth it for what I do!
Hopefully you're happy with them, the eyecups are super wide and I've talked to several people (including myself) who are unable to get a full field of view from them with no vignetting, even with the eyecups all the way in. Let us know if you're able to make them work!

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Hopefully you're happy with them, the eyecups are super wide and I've talked to several people (including myself) who are unable to get a full field of view from them with no vignetting, even with the eyecups all the way in. Let us know if you're able to make them work!

I definitely will!