Low Point Draw Hunts vs. OTC

As a new elk hunter, I've been given the advice of "just go, you can't learn from home." While this is true, I have also read how many OTC, particularly Colorado, hunts can often be a very difficult and lack action or learning experiences. I know there are tags that you can draw with 0-3 points, but how much do those hunts actually differ in hunting pressure and the overall experience than those tags you can get OTC?

Guess it depends on tag allocations mainly and popularity of a given OTC unit

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also new to the elk game, been backpacking for deer my whole life in a few different states. I have the same concerns as you with starting elk hunting. Especially because tags are difficult to get in my state and outta state I need time off work and it can get spendy. My plan on a first elk hunt is going to be cow or spike in a good low point zone. Much better success rates then you can get with otc or low point bull stuff. you'll still see the big bulls just won't get get that grip and grin picture at the end

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will tell you from personal experience that nothing stays the same for ever. I started hunting a unit that took 2 points and now it takes 8. I think your better to invest in a unit you can hunt yearly rather than get a couple hunts in a unit that becomes extremely difficult to draw in once a decade.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I hunt a low draw point and OTC area, same spot, just alternate years. I've found that during draw point season (1st and 4th) the elk are either in their summer or winter home range and during the OTC season is that the elk are migrating from summer to winter range.
When they are migrating and not sticking to a certain area, then getting on a herd is harder, resulting in low success rate and probably why it's OTC.
That's just my observation of where I hunt, ymmv.

Jbehredt

WKR
Consider that sometimes quotas are limited because herd numbers are below objectives. Do t out too much thought into draw odds. A very difficult or action lacking hunt WILL teach you about elk hunting. Putting in for that 3 point unit this year might even help you learn about point creep when you haven’t drawn it in 5 years. By then you’ve learned enough about your OTC unit to perhaps be encountering elk regularly. Just go really is the sage advice.

Last edited: