Low poundage for elk

Talk about quiet. Talk about penetration. Talk about maximizing efficiency of energy transfer. A modern compound isn't going to rainbow a heavy arrow nearly as bad as you think. Lots of advantages to shooting heavier setups, trad guys have been doing it for eons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would agree if the guy shooting said bow has a 30+ inch DL. Normal Joes, 27-29ish, that 60lb bow is going to be in the 240ish FPS range on a good day, way under on most days which doesn't give you a lot of room for range estimation. Granted, most elk are shot at close range, but still, range estimation in quick scenarios shooting a slow bow can be a pain. Also, penetration doesn't mean much if you hit too high, or too low. To each their own.

I’d shoot a 450-550 grain arrow with a heavy two blade broadhead, and probably inside of 35-40. That’s a trad bow weight, trad bow speed, at trad bow range.

Nothing special, and not particularly flat shooting, but you know it will work.
i agree.

my wife will be shooting 43# this year, 480gr arrow front loaded with a razor sharp 200gr blood eagle... inside 25yds it's going to be completely fine, and still more zip than my 52# recurve...

The concept of "minimum poundage" almost seem arbitrary. Because if I was using a 40# bow at my 31" draw, I'd about the doors off someone at the same weight bow shooting a 27" draw. Thats roughly a 40 fps speed difference

But I guess you gotta set some sort of minimum

Rick653

FNG
I think as long as your arrows are tuned properly and his broad heads are razor sharp, then he should be fine shooting whatever distance he is comfortable at.