Low profile 3x fletch for single bevel broadheads

And you’re sure the contact is on the cables? Put some lipstick or powder or silver sharpie on the tips of the vanes. If it contacts it’ll leave residue where it hits. That way you know for sure where the problem is.

I’ve had a few guys have vane contact on the left side of the hamskea cage with high profile vanes, right under where you slip the arrow through. Didn’t even have to figure out where, you could see the scraping on the inner left side of the cage. We just slightly pulled that part of the cage out, confirmed center shot and ran it through paper and everything was good to go.

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
And you’re sure the contact is on the cables? Put some lipstick or powder or silver sharpie on the tips of the vanes. If it contacts it’ll leave residue where it hits. That way you know for sure where the problem is.

I’ve had a few guys have vane contact on the left side of the hamskea cage with high profile vanes, right under where you slip the arrow through. Didn’t even have to figure out where, you could see the scraping on the inner left side of the cage. We just slightly pulled that part of the cage out, confirmed center shot and ran it through paper and everything was good to go.
Definitely cable roller guard. It used to be worse until I noticed the rollers weren’t sitting true so I squared them back up. But I still get contact occasionally on that side.
And your correct with being able to see the marks on the inside of the cage without the need of lipstick. Not sure if there is enough flex in it to make me shoot comfortably.

I'd check into possibly getting a new roller guard assembly; I only say that cause a few months ago, I started getting cable contact and crazy arrow flight at random, and then one shot I got hit in the forehead. Freaked me out like wth, turned out my cable/roller guide decided it had had enough and broke/became the arrow it always wanted to be. No issues since putting new one on. Might be worth a look, being this close to season.

Definitely cable roller guard. It used to be worse until I noticed the rollers weren’t sitting true so I squared them back up. But I still get contact occasionally on that side.
And your correct with being able to see the marks on the inside of the cage without the need of lipstick. Not sure if there is enough flex in it to make me shoot comfortably.
So you're getting contact with both the roller guard and the containment cage around the rest?

I don't think there's much you can do about roller guard or cable contact other than rotate your nock to maximize vane clearance on that side or switch to a lower profile vane. I don't have any firsthand experience with a Mathews V3 though, so maybe there are cable/guard adjustment options I'm not aware of.

I also have a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro, and the inside of my containment cage measures 1.5625" wide. I'm shooting Blazer vanes (0.57" tall) on a 0.265" OD shaft, which means I should have a minimum cage clearance of ≈5/64" no matter how I orient my vanes (1.5625"/2 – 0.265"/2 – 0.57" = 0.07875" ≈ 5/64"). Even if you're shooting really large OD shafts, you should still have clearance relative to the containment cage with your 0.55" tall vanes. I suppose if you're getting enough horizontal or vertical nock travel while the string is propelling the arrow, the arrow could come off the string canted enough to cause the vane(s) to hit the cage even though the static geometry says you should have clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac
the fusion x-iis are 2.1 in long, .43 high and 5.8 grains per vane. not sure thats enough steering for a fixed head though but its fine for shooting the low profile sevrs

Thanks for the feedback
And thanks to those who suggested a fletch.
To answer a few questions….
I’m shooting a v3 31 with a hamskea hybrid hunter pro. With cock vane at 12oclock the other 2 vanes are very tight to the roller guard and the rest housing. If only marginally off a true 12oclock one of the other vanes will hit every time. I’ll have to double check but I think I already looked into changing cock vane to 9oclock but then cock vane would hit every time on rest housing.

I expected 4 fletch to only have a marginal difference but I am trying to gain some speed/better trajectory to hopefully get to 90 yards on my sight. I have considered a smaller arrow length but trying to not risk fingers on broadheads.
How do you have your sight set up? You should be able to get more yardage then 90. I shoot 470 grain out of 62 lb bow and can get 111. Maybe just need some adjustment there?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
the fusion x-iis are 2.1 in long, .43 high and 5.8 grains per vane. not sure thats enough steering for a fixed head though but its fine for shooting the low profile sevrs
They provide enough steering in a 4-fletch. I did shoot a bull with these in a 3-fletch a few years ago, but I had a GR Fatal Steel on the front.

Lower profile vanes in a 4-fletch provide great clearance, that's why I even started using these. Another advantage to 4-fletch is being able to nock your arrow either way and have the vane orientation the same.

Flex fletch vanes. Wide variety of profiles. Light and stiff

Attachments

• C90E3FBD-B1E2-42C4-AA44-62B55AD2E748.jpeg
    C90E3FBD-B1E2-42C4-AA44-62B55AD2E748.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
W

Wodez

FNG
How do you have your sight set up? You should be able to get more yardage then 90. I shoot 470 grain out of 62 lb bow and can get 111. Maybe just need some adjustment there?
My sight is a garmin xero. Pins are bottoming out at 84 yards.

They provide enough steering in a 4-fletch. I did shoot a bull with these in a 3-fletch a few years ago, but I had a GR Fatal Steel on the front.

Lower profile vanes in a 4-fletch provide great clearance, that's why I even started using these. Another advantage to 4-fletch is being able to nock your arrow either way and have the vane orientation the same.
Thought in 3 fletch the xiis (.43 tall) were noticeably quieter than the regular fusions (.55 tall) when shooting out to 60 70 etc. For jumpy axis that's a big deal for me

Marble

WKR
Thanks for the feedback
And thanks to those who suggested a fletch.
To answer a few questions….
I’m shooting a v3 31 with a hamskea hybrid hunter pro. With cock vane at 12oclock the other 2 vanes are very tight to the roller guard and the rest housing. If only marginally off a true 12oclock one of the other vanes will hit every time. I’ll have to double check but I think I already looked into changing cock vane to 9oclock but then cock vane would hit every time on rest housing.

I expected 4 fletch to only have a marginal difference but I am trying to gain some speed/better trajectory to hopefully get to 90 yards on my sight. I have considered a smaller arrow length but trying to not risk fingers on broadheads.

Adding a vane won't change your ability to get to 90 yards. 5 to 7 grains are going to be a couple of yards difference at 90...maybe..

If you can move your sight in closer to your bow you'll gain some tape or pin gap. The closer yoursight is to your peep the smaller the gap is, or, the faster your tape is.

Sliding your peep up can also help.

Turn up your bow if you can.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
Why is this a problem? Are you trying to shoot a TAC or something?
No real reason to want a 90 pin. Just My previous sight stretched to 90 yards and I hoped the new sight would too

I use the Easton Diamond Vanes with a 3 fletch offset. I use the long ones, they are about 3.75 inches long and extremely low profile. I don't see a lot of other hunters using them, but they work great for me, and the bright green ones glow like a lighted nock.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thought in 3 fletch the xiis (.43 tall) were noticeably quieter than the regular fusions (.55 tall) when shooting out to 60 70 etc. For jumpy axis that's a big deal for me
There's no doubt the Xii's are quieter than those giant regular Fusions. Those things looked like dumbo ears on my arrows when I tried them. Better off with my 2" QS's than those. I haven't noticed much noise difference at all between the Xii's in 3-fletch versus 4-fletch, but the 4-fletch definitely work better with fixed blades.

Zac

WKR
No real reason to want a 90 pin. Just My previous sight stretched to 90 yards and I hoped the new sight would too
I think you have a sight problem, more than a trajectory problem. A slider would probably easily give you 100 yards.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Flex Fletch FFP-175 for the past 2 years. they are 1.75" long x .375" tall, 3.1gains per fletch. It is listed under their target vanes. I have found them to be pretty quiet, good arrow flight out to 60yds. I have not shot beyond. I also shoot a heavier arrow, running about 19-22%FOC. broad head flight has been spot on. I am a midwest guy, so long distance shooting has not been added into my mix. I am shooting out of a Hoyt Vector 35 at roughly 67# draw, 29" draw..

I shoot a 3 fletch, though I tried a 6 fletch, that seemed to slow the arrow more when comparing it to the 3 fletch.

MattB

WKR
Sounds like you are trying to address the wrong thing. What is your center shot?