Low resting heart rate

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys/gals getting for a resting heart rate. I went to a walk-in clinic on Tuesday for something unrelated to the subject (impacted wax ball blocking my hearing.......nasty), and was questioned about my heart rate because it was so low (42).

Back story on me:
35 yrs old
Quit smoking 3 years ago after 14 years of 1.5 packs a day
Lost 30 lbs over the last year and a half
Began running - a lot! Got the ultra running bug and training for big races
6'1, 195#

My Garmin that I wear all day every day has optical HR on it, so I've known for a long time that my HR is low. My 12 month average RHR is 45 bpm. So, I will probably get this checked out since a healthcare professional has suggested I do, but I don't have any signs of bradycardia. Anyone else experience this?

Trr15

WKR
40 yrs old, have been an athlete most of my life. Last 6 years have been focused primarily on strength training. Combination of power lifting and body building. Cardio focus is usually July and August leading up to hunting season. My heart rate has always been low, currently clocking in at 48 bpm resting heart rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry about it as long as you feel good and you’re not in any kind of a blocking down rhythm or abnormal rhythm. However, when you say that you don’t have any signs of bradycardia and have a heart rate of 45, that is the definition of bradycardia. Anything less than 60 beats a minute is bradycardic, but that in and of itself is no reason to be alarmed. I’m 51, about 15lbs. overweight at 5‘8“ and 165 pounds, definitely not as athletic as what I was 10 years ago, but I’ve never been a smoker, never run unless I’m being chased, and I think I take relatively good care of myself. My resting heart rate is in the upper 50s. So again, if you feel good, your blood pressure is good,and you’re not in a first (although that’s not a huge deal), second, or third-degree heart block, you’re fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
47, low 50’s- high 40’s . It has never been an issue. Recently ran first marathon and probably helped. Not uncommon for healthy people, especially with some endurance.

twall13

WKR
I'm also 35 and run a fair bit. I'm 6'1" and 180lbs and I've had a low resting heart rate for years. My resting heart rate is around 46 bpm. My doctor attributes it to the running but my mom has always had a low resting heart rate so I feel genetics come into play a bit as well.

I've never worried about it much but it did cause a bit of an issue after my last surgery (broken foot needed some pins). My low resting heart rate combined with the anesthesia had my heart rate in the low to mid thirties as I was coming out of surgery and that scared the doctors a bit. I had to pump my fists and move my legs to keep my heart rate in the 40's so the nurses weren't hovering. Other than that I've always considered it a good thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of reafirms my thoughts on it as well, good to hear a few more anecdotal stories about the subject. The doctor really surprised me with her concern in all reality. Like I said, I'll obviously watch it and discuss it with my doctor when I find one (haven't had a primary care physician since I was in pediatrics), but I'm not going to change anything right now.

JP100

WKR
Wouldn't worry about it too much.

My wife's heart rate is around the mid 40s and always hes been(she is fairly fit)

Im 'mountain fit'(tahr guide), 5' 11" 160lbs and my resting heart rate is normally highers 70s-80s. Used to be up closer to 100 alot of time. Never smoked and drink very little.

I think alot of it is genetic.

How is your blood pressure? My wife has rather low blood pressure, and a low heart rate which isnt the best.

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
BP is usually around 130/70.
Wouldn't worry about it too much.

My wife's heart rate is around the mid 40s and always hes been(she is fairly fit)

Im 'mountain fit'(tahr guide), 5' 11" 160lbs and my resting heart rate is normally highers 70s-80s. Used to be up closer to 100 alot of time. Never smoked and drink very little.

I think alot of it is genetic.

How is your blood pressure? My wife has rather low blood pressure, and a low heart rate which isnt the best.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you are perfectly normal for an endurance athlete. When I was mountain bike racing at your age my resting HR got down into the low 40's.

jwatts

WKR
I'm 38, 195lb, run or work out dang near every day. My resting average is in the low 40s. If I trend my HR from my Garmin watch it'll hit the high 30s a few times a day. It's pretty stable in the high 40s when I sleep. I've got great blood pressure and the doctor has never said anything about it, so I assume I'm good.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to turn 53. I'm not an extreme athlete, but I'm in better shape than all my friends my age. My resting heart rate while I'm sleeping is in the high 40s/low 50s. No heart issues that I've ever been aware of. I think it's just because I work out and stay in decent shape.

a5sooner

FNG
When I was playing football and working out a lot in HS and college my heart rate was in the high 30's/low 40's. Now I'm older and it's mid to low 40's and I'm not in great shape.

A lot of is genetic....My understanding(from my Dr) is that we have very efficient hearts that pump a lot of blood per beat. I suspect this has a lot to do with slow metabolism as well.

I'm 52, 6'2" 200# very lean. I started boxing at 4yrs old. I've been training ever since. My resting heart rate is around 35bpm.

arnie

FNG
What are you guys/gals getting for a resting heart rate. I went to a walk-in clinic on Tuesday for something unrelated to the subject (impacted wax ball blocking my hearing.......nasty), and was questioned about my heart rate because it was so low (42).

Back story on me:
35 yrs old
Quit smoking 3 years ago after 14 years of 1.5 packs a day
Lost 30 lbs over the last year and a half
Began running - a lot! Got the ultra running bug and training for big races
6'1, 195#

My Garmin that I wear all day every day has optical HR on it, so I've known for a long time that my HR is low. My 12 month average RHR is 45 bpm. So, I will probably get this checked out since a healthcare professional has suggested I do, but I don't have any signs of bradycardia. Anyone else experience this?

I’m a low RHR guy as well!

That being said there is always the possibility, it is something else. I would recommend getting it checked out just to rule out any complications!

Scrappy

WKR
Mine is at 42 by the end of summer every year when I'm in my peak condition going into the hunting season. I always get a kick out of the nurses when they put the machine on my finger to check and it just keeps beeping and you can see the nurse starting to stress. Even had one spaz out and go get the doc. Doc asked the right questions about my running then explained it to the nurse.

I’m 67 years old and my resting heart rate runs 48-49 BPM. I walk a couple miles every morning with the dogs, go to the gym 3 times per week. I’m 5’9” and 170#, was always skinny with a high metabolism. A year ago the doc sent me for a complete heart evaluation, all fairly normal but I do skip a beat every so often. I don’t take any meds at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk