Low Temp Smoker for Sausage

Finn16

WKR
I'm looking for a vertical smoker, and accessories if needed, that will allow me to smoke 20 lbs of venison sausage at 100F +/- 10 degrees for 3-4 hours. I am not interested in hitting 160 degrees to have it cooked. It will be boiled for 12 minutes before eating.

I'm not sure if a vertical offset like the Dyna-Glo Signature Vertical Offset would get down to 100 degrees or not. Also wondering if using a smoke generator alone like a A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker would get a smoker up to 100 degrees.

Thanks for the help.

Zappaman

WKR
Get an old latch handled refrigerator out of the junkyard, with a hole knocked out the lower side. Take a 55 gallon drum and cut it in 1/2. Prop the fridge up onto the first 1/2 cut of the barrel. Then tap a stovepipe coming off the other 1/2 cut 55 gallon drum (with a hole in the side/bottom for your coals to go in). Burn a fire down, toss the coals into the 55 gallon (now 25 gallon) "heat box" with some wet chips-- wall-ah!

I used to buy BBQ from an old timer years back and this was his rig. He could smoke 40 lbs a day (and did selling it out of his little store on the side of town in Hobbs NM- "People's BBQ"). I also did the same thing with a $20 metal storage shack bought at an auction ($99 back in the day- cheap sliding doors and all) and made up the same 55 gallon drum fire pit. AC guy had old duct (free) I got and "tapped" into it. I can walk into my "cold smoker" and store meat over winter with a small fire always going. I use it (with my wife's cloths drying racks from Walmart) for smoking 100's of lbs of sausage at a time ;)

Old school, but it works!

jmez

WKR
I like the 40 inch. I prefer to hang my sausage when I smoke it. 40 is better for hanging it IMO.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

The Masterbuilt has a setting as low as 100. I'd suggest the 40 with the mailbox mod. At 100 degrees the burner isn't gonna be on enough to make decent smoke.

jmez

WKR
Masterbuilt also makes a smoke box that works really well. Attaches where chip tray goes and cost $60. Can smoke with no heat if you want. Handy if you don't want to screw with the mailbox.

It will hold enough chips to keep a heavy smoke going for about 4-5 hrs.

I would do the smoke generator or the mailbox mod. If you don't the light your chips with a torch. They sit in a tray over the burner. Burner is on a thermostat, you don't get good smoke without a mod of some sort.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a vertical smoker, and accessories if needed, that will allow me to smoke 20 lbs of venison sausage at 100F +/- 10 degrees for 3-4 hours. I am not interested in hitting 160 degrees to have it cooked. It will be boiled for 12 minutes before eating.

I'm not sure if a vertical offset like the Dyna-Glo Signature Vertical Offset would get down to 100 degrees or not. Also wondering if using a smoke generator alone like a A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker would get a smoker up to 100 degrees.

Thanks for the help.
The amaze will if it’s 90 degrees out side..

I use the amaze to cold smoke, via a ply wood box I built

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Yoder pellet smoker. I can run the fan in it without running the burner. I do this and put an Amaz N smoker tube in it to cold smoke cheese. If it is cold outside, it will not reach 100, but I don't want it to reach 100 for cold smoking . In fact I do the cheese when it is below 50 outside.

I am curious, why 100?