Low Volume Boots: what brand/model do you like and why?

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Have found AKU Jager and Schwer 14 fit my low volume 10's like gloves. Tried Zamberlan (model name forgotten, but heavy backpacking style boot) at local REI and they fit well everywhere except too wide in forefoot (ball of foot).

So I'm looking for an insulated boot of at least 400 grams Thinsulate. For winter backpacking in New Hampshire's White Mountains and New York's Catskills. Of the below brands/models, which are more low volume, and which are less low volume? Which are warmer, which are less warm?

Thank you.

PS: What's up with the long names nowadays on boots!? My old 1980's waffle stomper Raichle's, Lowa's, Asolo, and Kastinger boots (mostly made from one piece of leather nearly 1/8" thick) didn't have long names but still have comfort and support.

Zamberlan: 1005 Hunter Pro Evo
Hanwag: Alaska GTX, Trapper Top
Meindl: Kimbo GTX (insulated), Comfort Fit Extreme, Vakuum
Kenetrek: Mountain Hunter 400, Mountain Hunter 1000

73 Wood

FNG
Not really answering your question, but my 2-cents... Buy whichever you can afford 2 pairs.

I have 2 identical pairs of Hi-Tec boots that I smother in SnoSeal when the weather is really hot. I give them as many coats as they will absorb. They were cheap enough to keep 2 pairs. One pair stays on the boot dryer when the other is being worn. There is something about stepping into a warm, dry pair of boots that keeps me going.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
I have just gone thru this with my narrow heals, low volume and very flat feet with four different brands of boots.
Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX, Schnee's Granite, Crispi Briksdal and Kennetrek Hardscrabble.
The Scarpa's were the most plush and cushiony, a little roomy in the toe box(very little to be exact) I would have kept these had I not tried the Kennetreks.
The Schnee's were the most stiff but way too roomy in toe box.
TheBriksdal's were nice and narrow but literally hurt my feet the most.
The Kinnetrek's were perfect for my foot. Literally feel like a custom boot.
These all were Med width, not narrows, in all boots. All seemed incredibly well built and talkin to each company I would believe customer service would be great with all of these companies.
Hope this helps.

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks texasbbq (mesquite smoked?).

That was great information. Between the Scarpa and Kennetrek:

1. which one had the most cushioned footbed?
2. which one had the stiffer sole?

Which Kennetrek model did you get?

Thanks again.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, took a quick trip to Colorado to see our daughter at college this weekend and just saw this.

The Scarpa was the most cushioned everywhere not just the footbed.
The Kennetrek has the stiffer sole. I've been wearing them for a week now around town and they continue to feel great.

Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX size 49. 48 was too small.
Kennetrek Hardscrabble size 14.

Post Oak wood for me!

10ringer

WKR
Han wag Alverstone 2’s are a great low volume boot. Its not insulated and is my go to boot when hiking snow. If your moving and active insulated boots will make your feet sweat and lead to chills later on when you stop. Its on the stiffer side and climb like a billy goat but still wearable on flat ground.
You may know this but rotate dry socks often during the day and keep your feet dry, you will stay much warmer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
I have 2 pair of Crispi Valdres and a pair of their taller guide boots (forget the model name). I have a low vol foot. All 3 are 10.5, all 3 fit exactly the same. I read where folks recommended the green feet insert, I tried it and went back to the factory insert. They fit me like they are custom.

I have run through many options trying to find the perfect boot for my low volume feet. Zamberlan 980s are my favorites all around but I've found some others that work well in certain situations.

The crispi briksdals feel like they fit well but they just tore my heels up something fierce.

I have a pair of hanwag trapper tops, size 11, that worked well for me in late season until i hung them above the wood stove to dry a few times and they shrunk to where they are now too low volume/small for me. They are in good shape and might fit a size 10 well. They are yours if you want to pay shipping from MN.

I cannot comment on most other brands as once I tried Scarpa's, I stuck with them. I have several different Scarps models. They fit me so well, and preform so well that I have no motivation in experimenting with others without the opportunity to pick something of for a song and a dance.

Joining in on this one. I have low volume feet and a narrow heel. I bought Crispi Nevadas this year that felt awesome when I tried them on in the store, but they ended up wrecking my heels. It made for a tiring, painful elk season. I'm looking at Scarpas for now. Anything else in particular I should be checking out? I can get Schnee's on pro form, so those are attractive and I have friends that love them, but it doesn't seem like people with low volume feet seem to gravitate towards Shnee's

10ringer

WKR
I had the same problem in the heel with Crispi Lapponia…just not shaped for my feet. Crispi Summits and colorados are much better in the heal area. Summits have slightly less volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
skudster;

AKU makes low to very low volume boots.
Zamberlan makes low to med volume boots.

No matter what boot you try on.....ya gotta leave the boots on in the store for 30 mins minimum. And ya gotta walk around with them on. Also, often bend your knees so that your ankles bend forward. That's to check for pressure points on front of ankles, shins.

Wiggle toes up down many times. With big toe in "up" position, does boot put too much pressure on toenail?

Make toes into fist, many times. If you can make complete fist, toe knuckles should be in firm contact with top of boot. If toe knuckles are too far away from boot top, boot fit will be sloppy unless you wear extra socks.

Wearing extra socks will take up excess room but when socks compress after few hours, or half day, or 3/4 day....boot fit will become loose, e.g. not optimum.

Try to wiggle your foot left/right. Put slight pressure on heel, making heel a pivot point. When you wiggle foot to left, does right side of ball of foot stop contacting the right side of boot? IOW, when you wiggle foot to left, is there a lot of space now on the right side of your foot?

Same for when you wiggle foot to the right. Is there a lot of room on the left side of your foot?

If lot of room then your foot will flop around when side hilling, going up steep hills, and every time you need your foot and boot to be firmly planted.

Minimum 30 mins
try on/walk around time until you know all the nuances of what to check for. Even then, you may still need 30 mins to see if hot spots or pressure points develop. Sometimes pressure points develop on the knuckle of little toe or tip of a toe. You won't notice it unless you leave the boots on and walk around in them. Up/down stairs or a boot ramp if the store has one.

Sometimes ankle hot spots will develop. Or a boot will start feeling too tight on the instep (the top of your foot that's over the arch). You can't tell any of this if you just put one boot on, tie it, stand up, sit down and say "I'll take it".

Don't learn this the hard way, by spending a thousand or much more, dollars to find out the boot doesn't work. Like the Crispi's didn't work for you.

Good luck.....

Last edited:
Scarpa Kailash family, Terra Gtx and Zodiac plus are low volume and narrow heels.
I wish boot manufacturers would list the volume and heel fit in their descriptions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bonepoint

FNG
I have a narrow foot in a 10.5 and my favorite boots are the Zamberlan 980 and the Hanwag Alverstone IIs. The Alverstone's are especially low volume and I need thinner socks, but I love them. I also have some SCARPA Active (non goretex version of the Kinesis) and they also fit great.

I have tried on Lowa Tibets, Kennetrek Mountains, and Schnee Beartooth (or Granite?) and all were too wide for me in the forefoot. I tried on a Crispi Colorado (synthetic) and while a bit roomier than the 980s or Alverstones, I think they would have worked just fine.

I just picked up a pair of Hanwag Tatra Tops on the classifieds and the have more volume in the forefoot than the Alverstones, but I think they will still work fine.

These are all uninsulated models, but hopefully the info helps. I know some manufacturers make boots on different lasts and will vary in width from model to model, even though the are "standard" width.

dtrkyman

WKR
Mine have lasted extremely well, no idea on miles but way more than that! Had a pair for several years from sierra, used them to hike, deer, elk and turkey hunt. Few seasons of guiding as well.

The pair of 520 I have seem bomb proof, though I do not wear them as much as I prefer a lighter duty boot, they definitely have some miles and as as new.

Got the last 2 pair from Sierra trading post pretty cheap.

Salomon on the other hand I burned through in under a year, though I had their light boot, kind of like a sneaker/hiker, they did warranty them!