Lowa Caminos

Looking to replace my Tibets with something a little lighter, less clunky, and some better cushioning.
Hows the Camino work for the occasional heavy pack out? I was gonna replace my Renagades with the Camino for general hiking, but it sounds like the Camino is closer to the Tibet and heavier than I want for a hiking shoe.

LaHunter

WKR
Check out the Lowa Ticam II boots. These are closer to the Tibet’s in fit and function. They are not as wide, the sole is still legit for heavy packing, but they are still close to the same wt as the Tibet’s. As far as cushion, you will likely need to get that from aftermarket insoles. The Caminos have a pretty narrow toe box compared to the Tibets and the sole is less stiff

Jimss

WKR
I have both Tibets and Renegades....and recently bought Caminos. You are right that the Caminos are medium weight and stiffness. I haven't used them yet but they look like they ought to be a good over-all use boot. Stiff enough for steep sidehills but light enough to cover miles. Although my Renegades were super light they didn't last as long due to all their seams. I usually hike where it's wet. From what I've found, the fewer the seams the better! My Renegades had a leather toe cap (rather than rubber like the Caminos) so I would think the Caminos ought to hold up better.

I also have a pair of Lowa Vantage that I've used and abused everyday working outside in all conditions. They are lighter than the Caminos. I hammer the heck out of my boots and they've held up super well but have a seem leather piece immediately behind the rubber toe that has started to fray from water. That's the only negative about the Vantage.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned in the post above it's usually a great idea to toss the insoles that come with the boots and buy insoles that work for your particular feet. I like padded insoles and also wear socks with additional padding in the soles of the feet. Thorlos and other socks come in different thickness with extra padding in critical areas.

GotDraw?

WKR
Search Lowa Camino on this site, there have been multiple posts with great detail over the past couple years.

Lowa stock insoles SUCK.

You'll need replacements. I use SOLE Dean Karnazes heat-moldable (in your home oven) insoles. Fantastic product. They are not cushy and I thought that might make the boot uncomfortable, but quite the opposite- they make my boots awesome because of the way they support my arches. They are especially good at locking your foot in place so when you are descending in steep territory, your feet won't slide forward in your boots causing "toe Jam" and lost toenails. Because they support your arches so well, you can also back off on tension on your boot laces by a smidge, which is darned nice when your in your boots 15 hrs day for 2 weeks.

I have Tibets and Caminos. Tibets: Heavy, Clunky and only four eyelets below the ankle lock, tough to get the boot front tension right for me in the toe box/forefoot below the ankle lock eyelet. Good stiffness. Fantastic ankle lock lace eyelet-- best I've seen, it's like an expensive mini-boat cleat/cam. Ball bearing eyelets below the ankle lock.

Caminos: My favorite boot. 5 or 6 eyelets below the ankle lock make it easy to get forefoot tension right, those eyelets are ball bearing style so the laces can all be tensioned easily. Best boot I've had to get good (separate) upper lace tension and lower lace tension. Great ankle lock eyelet. Lighter than Tibet, plenty stiff (for me) for 60lbs, could prob pack 80+ if needed.

Last edited:
I love my Caminos! For me they have been the best "do all" boot I've had yet. I've never felt limited in them yet.

Phaseolus

WKR
I have both Renegades and Caminos. I have narrow feet and can order the renegades in narrows. The Caminos are not available in narrow but are a bit more narrow than other medium models. Like was said earlier the renegades wear out quicker, the rubber toe cap on the caminos is ok but could be tougher, hiking in and out of the black canyon of the gunnison with a pack is hard on any boot though. I use custom insoles. The Caminos support my feet well enough on tough terrain, i like them. If they fit your feet you will too.

Mike 338

WKR
Wore a pair of Camino's that have been boxed up for a few months. Got 'em on sale and didn't need them just then but I figured I better break them in before I need them. Wore them all day. Maybe the most comfortable footwear I've ever put on. They come in regular and wide widths and the on-line supplier tried to sneak wide's to me but I caught it and sent them back. These boots seem to fit well for folks with a narrow heel but a regular toe box whereby you can wiggle your toes a bit. I went a half size up as on of my feet is between sizes. Could be my new boot maker if 1) they hold up and, 2) the waterproofing isn't as bad as reported by others. Guess I'll find out as I got a pair of Tibet Hi's as well. Anyway... these boots feel really good on my feet.

Tomly

FNG
I’ve had good luck with it the Caminos. Mine are the leather lined version and I have few complaints. While not a slouch when it comes to water, they are not a waterproof boot. I prefer this for general comfort as I have always found waterproof boots keep in as much moisture as they keep out, but if you spend a lot of time in wet conditions maybe it’s a concern.

wtbowhtr

FNG
I wear the Renegades for my archery elk hunts. Bought a pair of Caminos last year thinking I wanted a stiffer boot than the Renegades I was using. I returned the Caminos and stayed with the Renegades as I favored the lighter, less stiff boot.

RCB

WKR
I have the Caminos. Quality boot, though I usually prefer to be in something lighter. They do run narrow: I don’t really have wide feet but I ended up buying wides, and even still they feel a bit narrow around the toes.

Looks like Lowa has a new boot, the Baldo, which is lighter than the Camino. Might be of interest to you.