Lowa Cevedale

Benjblt

WKR
Does anyone have experience with this boot? I have the Kenetrek ME 400 gram boots and like them well. I also have the Mountain Extremes in the noninsulated version but I'm thinking of selling them and getting something lighter and a little more flexible. I've also tried the Lowa Tibet and liked them well. How do you think the Cevedale would compare to the Tibet or the Mountain Extremes? Do you think it is more of a mountaineering boot? I've also thought about the Kuiu Scarpa R Evolution for a lighter weight less stiff boot. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Apollo117

WKR
I have no experience with the Cevedale. I just wanted to mention that if you're going purchase soon, the Cevedale GTX is on sale on Camofire.

These aren't a serious mountaineering boot imo. Just a really stiff hiker. That said, the Cevedale has been a big disappointment for me. The sole is separating in both heels and they've leaked water like a colander from day 1. I think there's better out there. In hindsight I should have bought the trango cubes when I picked these up but got them at a good price so I took a gamble

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
These aren't a serious mountaineering boot imo. Just a really stiff hiker. That said, the Cevedale has been a big disappointment for me. The sole is separating in both heels and they've leaked water like a colander from day 1. I think there's better out there. In hindsight I should have bought the trango cubes when I picked these up but got them at a good price so I took a gamble

I looked at the Cubes and they seemed a bit narrow. Right now REI is having a sale on them.

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this, I sure am glad I did not go for the camofire purchase yesterday!

Clarktar

WKR
I had an issue with my Cvedales, and Lowa mailed me out a new pair asap, they did not even make me mail in my broken pair (I had a hunt coming up and told them I would use the broken pair if new ones did not arrive in time). The new pair have been solid and no issues. No leaking, sole separation etc. They are not a "waterproof" boot either, but I treat them with some spray each season and I do not get my feet wet (but I don't use them during the rainy season out here in the rainforest..). I agree they are not a hardcore mountaineering boot, but a super stiff hiker that can take crampons. I probably have 100+ miles on them now, and the pair before that had more miles. Great boot imo.

^^^ I really like the fit and feel, and if it weren't for the soles I would have them at an A+ rating. I didn't go into them expecting them to be waterproof (really have never had good luck with boots that have more goretex/cordura than leather on the exterior so that wasn't a big surprise, although I expected them to be more water resistant than they were. But on the heels (from the sole to the boot) theres hard rubber (sole), then a layer of soft rubber, then hard plastic. Where the soft rubber meets the hard plastic on both boots has came apart. It's fine, I didn't have a ton of $$$$ into these and certainly wouldn't let it taint my opinion of Lowa as a whole. I suspect I may have gotten a lemon pair also as Lathrop and Sons were peddling this boot and I don't believe they would be selling this if it wasn't top notch.

Things I liked about the cevedales were:

stiffness, most hikers are too soft for me and that this isn't a mountaineering boot, just a stiff hiker was perfect for me.
The lacing system and locks they have are awesome
rubber rand has taken more abuse without coming apart than other brands
Initially I had some serious traction concerns because the imprint of the sole is smaller than the boot but it hasn't been an issue and these things are locked in 4wd all the time.

My $.02

wapitibob

WKR
I had cevedale pros; fit was awesome, rigid but flexable enough. Loved them for the 25 miles they lasted. Leaked like I stuck them with an ice pick. Took them back to rei for a refund.
Saw another guy on insta with a pair, soaked thru and a callapsed toe box. They’re junk in a sexy package.

rm06

WKR
The Cevedale seems like a popular boot to bash, some guys just can't give them enough hate. Every company will send out a lemon from time to time but as far as customer service goes, Lowa has been far and away the best for me.

I've worn mine on hunts when it rained for days and have crossed multiple creeks without getting wet. I haven't used a true mountaineering boot so I don't have a good basis for comparison but mine have been equal to the task for helping on a CO bighorn and goat hunt and as I bow hunt elk in the same area I use them exclusively. They excel in steep, rocky terrain and/or with a heavy pack. The rand is scuffed but hasn't peeled away and I do really like the sole for traction and it has a good camber. The lacing leaves a lot of room for adjustment and extend down to the toe. That said, they are probably not the most comfortable for hiking long distances but that is probably true of a lot of boots of similar stiffness and is not the reason I own them.

Boots are super personal but I've had success with mine

OutdoorAg

WKR
Another person who’s had a really positive experience with the Cevedale. Stiff hiker is a good way to describe. Going on 3 years with mine. Really made me a Lowa boot guy.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I've had a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Guides (sorry never had the extremes) and just got a set of the Cevedales a few weeks back. I've also had a set of Lowa Baffins which are similar to the Tibets.

Cevedale vs Baffin/Tibet are different lasts. Cevedale is more precise and has less volume for your foot. Most Lowa boots have too much volume for my foot. Cevedale works well for me because of the last and you can suck the volume right out of them the way the lacing and flexible textile upper work together. I'd classify the Cevedale as a light mountaineering boot and the Baffin/Tibet as a heavy backpacking/trekking boot.

The Cevedale is the stiffest of the aforementioned boots, second the Ktrek mountain guide then the other Lowas. The Ktrek has a little too wide of a heel pocket for me and wouldn't stay put but was a pretty decent boot and reasonably stiff.

Obviously the Tibet is a go to for many on this board if it fits your foot. Great all around durable and very well made boot.