Lowa Ranger - Feedback and Larger sizes Weight?

BigWoods

WKR
I'm looking to order a pair of Lowa Ranger III boots. I have a pair of Lowa shoes that I really like the fit on. They're also on the more affordable end of the German made boots. From what I've read, they seem to hold up real well over time.

I'm intending to use these for hilly grouse hunting in upper New England as well as 3-4 season hiking duty the rest of the year. As something I want something that I can put some miles on with.
Am I right to think the soles are a bit more flexible than some pure mountain boots? Any thing else to know about these.

Also, I wear a size 14 which always comes with a weight bonus; does someone with a larger size know the wait of a pair?

The other option I'm looking at is the Meindl Vakuum Hunter at a similar price. Anyone with experience on these?

204guy

WKR
I've basically worn out 2 pairs. One of my favorite all around do anything boots. Some support but not a mountaineering boot by any stretch. All leather, so heavy but durable. They won't stay waterproof forever. The goretex membrane will fail long before they wear out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I've basically worn out 2 pairs. One of my favorite all around do anything boots. Some support but not a mountaineering boot by any stretch. All leather, so heavy but durable. They won't stay waterproof forever. The goretex membrane will fail long before they wear out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree with this post. I've had 4 pair of Lowa Rangers. Use them for light duty hunting and work. The soles are not stiff like a mountaineering boot, but stiff enough for most hunting scenarios. Great all purpose boot.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Thank you both for the input! Sounds like the might be just the ticket; I don't want something super stuff that would still be good for a day hike but stiff enough with solid ankle support for the rutted, rocky, log strewn forests left behind by logging operations...the kind of stuff where ruffed grouse love to hang out. But I also want something that will hold together for several years.

204 - thanks for the experience on Gortex - That seems consistent with my experience across a lot of boots and shoes; I've never had a membrane that has lasted much beyond a year of regular use.

It sounds like both of you have worn through pairs with day to day usage and yet been satisfied enough to come back for more; what sort of life have you come to expect from them?

fishslap

WKR
I have a pair of lightly used lowa ranger 14s. I can weigh them when I’m back in town on Monday. I’ve actually been meaning to sell them. I tried 14s but need to go back down to 13s.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I have a pair of lightly used lowa ranger 14s. I can weigh them when I’m back in town on Monday. I’ve actually been meaning to sell them. I tried 14s but need to go back down to 13s.
I appreciate your willingness to weigh them for me. Maybe message me with details on those once you get back in town and I'll consider them.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have Lowa Rangers in 12.5 but I don’t think they are the IIIs. I just weighed one and it was 2 pounds, 4.4 ounces with an aftermarket insole and a little dried mud. I like them and they have been fine running around the hills of West Virginia. They are not as stiff as my Lowa Tibets.

For me, Lowas seem to run a little short. I always wore size 12 in Cabelas labeled Meindls but Lowas in 12 were too short. I got the Rangers in 12.5 but the Tibets in 13 are a better length for me.

LostArra

WKR
The leather lined Rangers are probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn but I use others on wet days. I also wear the leather lined low cut at work/casual. Agree, they run a little short..

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
The leather lined Rangers are probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn but I use others on wet days. I also wear the leather lined low cut at work/casual. Agree, they run a little short..
Those leather lined sound luxurious.... unfortunately around here in New England, every day is a wet day in the woods. Every skidder track is a creek.

Thanks for the sizing input!

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Thanks all for the help deciding on the Rangers and fishslap working it out with me. Boots are excellent.

Laced them on and put them to immediate use traversing up this...
IMG_20200131_152736.jpg

Wishing these had been on my radar a long time ago.