Lowa Ranger review

I just purchased a pair of Lowa Rangers last week. I've pretty well hammered the crap out of them in the 10 days I've owned them, and thought I'd give a synopsis of my thoughts on them.

Boots that I've worn, liked, and will compare them to are:

Lowa Banff
Lowa Baffin Pro
Crispi Idaho
Schnee's Sheep Hunter (Lowa)

I think these compare best to the Lowa Banff and the Crispi Idaho. These are typical Lowa quality, which is outstanding. I can't remember if the Banff had a full 5mm nylon shank or not, but I think the Ranger is damned near the Gore tex equivalent of the Banff. I loved the Banff and was really disappointed when they discontinued that model.

A lot of guys ask about Tibets vs. other boots. I've put a lot of miles on the Baffin Pro, which has a 5mm nylon shank. I've found that unless I'm in the really steep rocks all the time, I don't like the full 5mm shank. The Ranger has a 5mm/3mm shank and it is definitely more flexible than the Baffin Pro. This makes it a much better boot for still hunting IMO. The Crispi Idaho was my favorite bowhunting boot that I owned, and the Ranger is very comparable in terms of flexibility.

I spent two days packing out a bull elk in snow. I found the sole tread design to be more than adequate. At first I was a little concerned that it would not offer the sidehill traction that I wanted, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I haven't had a chance to hammer the Rangers on the chukar slopes yet. That will be the real test for them in terms of support and stability. I will update this after I get more miles on these.

Slowdaddy

FNG
I just purchased a pair of Lowa Rangers last week. I've pretty well hammered the crap out of them in the 10 days I've owned them, and thought I'd give a synopsis of my thoughts on them.

Boots that I've worn, liked, and will compare them to are:

Lowa Banff
Lowa Baffin Pro
Crispi Idaho
Schnee's Sheep Hunter (Lowa)

I think these compare best to the Lowa Banff and the Crispi Idaho. These are typical Lowa quality, which is outstanding. I can't remember if the Banff had a full 5mm nylon shank or not, but I think the Ranger is damned near the Gore tex equivalent of the Banff. I loved the Banff and was really disappointed when they discontinued that model.

A lot of guys ask about Tibets vs. other boots. I've put a lot of miles on the Baffin Pro, which has a 5mm nylon shank. I've found that unless I'm in the really steep rocks all the time, I don't like the full 5mm shank. The Ranger has a 5mm/3mm shank and it is definitely more flexible than the Baffin Pro. This makes it a much better boot for still hunting IMO. The Crispi Idaho was my favorite bowhunting boot that I owned, and the Ranger is very comparable in terms of flexibility.

I spent two days packing out a bull elk in snow. I found the sole tread design to be more than adequate. At first I was a little concerned that it would not offer the sidehill traction that I wanted, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I haven't had a chance to hammer the Rangers on the chukar slopes yet. That will be the real test for them in terms of support and stability. I will update this after I get more miles on these.
I own the Banff, and i did not know the model was cancelled!!! (Kinda like Ford dropping the Brono....) So, are these similar enough to the Banff, that you would consider them a lateral move??? Up or down ??

Thx!
W

I've been wearing a pair since July. I was looking for an early season, lighter, more flexible version of the Tibet. The seams being single/double stitched as opposed to triple had concerned me a bit and so far I believe I have one thread beginning to pull. The boots have worn great so far. I've had them in sun, sage, mud, rain, and snow and have not had any leaks or other apparent flaws. The toe is getting beat up and will likely receive some tuff toe for a diy rand. Also, I think the laces suck and would prefer a flat lace come with the boot. Overall, I'm pretty happy with them and would call them a good fit for me, 85/100 or so. Full toe rand, flat laces, and an 8 inch height would be pretty close to perfect.