Lowa Ranger vs Asolo Sasslong

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Time to post up after some real hiking up in Colorado...
The Asolo have been great, and will serve me well.

The Lowa have turned out to have a toe box that is too small- it just isn't tall enough and I find my toes rubbing.
If I had "normal" feet I know this would not be an issue, but it is.

If looking to recommend one of these, hands down the Asolo's have turned out the better boot for me.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For me as well. I replaced my Meindl Alaska Hiker's with the Sasslongs and love them. I have had them in all types of conditions and they have handled it all very well. Very pleased with the purchase.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
First pair of hiking boots for elk and A3dhunter told me about STP and it was over. I am breaking them in now and love them.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Both are great boots. I'm a big fan of the Sasslongs. And the deals on STP can't be beat. A great choice, IF they fit your feet.

Both are great boots. I'm a big fan of the Sasslongs. And the deals on STP can't be beat. A great choice, IF they fit your feet.

Big if... I have my recent pair of Sasslongs up for sale. Bout 50 miles on them. Just don't fit my heels for nothing and my feet are in pretty good hiking shape right now.

Mike

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Fit is the "big if" of any footwear, and boots in particular. I hope that you find your ideal last and model.

Fit is the "big if" of any footwear, and boots in particular. I hope that you find your ideal last and model.

Yep and thanks me too!! :) Been through a pair of Kenetreks, and now a pair of Asolos since May. Gave em each over 50 miles of break in allowance and neither have worked out.

Mike

Just laced up my new Hanwags.... holy crap these things feel comfy! Only time will tell if I develop any hotspots. Got 6 miles at 3k' of elevation to gain tomorrow for a weekend hike. Going preventative maintenance with moleskin application before hiking starts but hopefully these break in nicely! Sure feel good...

Mike

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran the Rangers all last season. I love them, but the rubber rand is coming loose on one of the boots a bit. Not a real issue. I'll run them till they fail.

I cant wear the Asolo's, they are just too skinny for me. The Lowa's fit me good with the nice wide toe box. They changed the Rangers slightly with a different sole and tread pattern from the ones I have. Probably work the same. My next pair of boots will be Lowa Rangers. Probably buy them here soon and stash them away for when the current pair give up on me. Seems every time an outfit makes something really good, they go and discontinue it or change it for the worse.

crumy

WKR
Ok. Reviving old thread. Update on the lowas and asolos? I need a pair of light weight boots. Tried on both at jax in Fort Collins. Liked them both but not sure of asolo because the fit on leg. Seemed to give the opportunity for rolling.

Anyone have any more info on the Lowa Rangers ? I am looking for a good all around boot. I was set on buying a pair of Meindl Denali's from our local Cabelas but I am starting to have second thoughts due to the stiffness. I have tried on the Asolo's at the local STP but they did not fit well. We have a REI but they do not carry the Rangers, I am very hesitant to buy a boot without trying them on first but the Rangers seem to be the perfect mix between hiking/ hunting boot and I am seriously considering buying a pair.

So anymore info on the Rangers would be great.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
After my experience with fit on the Lowa Rangers I will not buy another pair, but that is based on my foot type and the fact I use superfeet insoles in my boots. Not enough depth to allow comfortable fit in the toe box for me.

My next boot purchase will be Zamberlan Viox, tried a pair on and they felt great whilke walking around in them.

I also tried on the Hanwag Mountain lights, don't fit me either. I know they work for a lot of people, basically you have to find what works for you.

Anyone have any more info on the Lowa Rangers ? I am looking for a good all around boot. I was set on buying a pair of Meindl Denali's from our local Cabelas but I am starting to have second thoughts due to the stiffness. I have tried on the Asolo's at the local STP but they did not fit well. We have a REI but they do not carry the Rangers, I am very hesitant to buy a boot without trying them on first but the Rangers seem to be the perfect mix between hiking/ hunting boot and I am seriously considering buying a pair.

So anymore info on the Rangers would be great.

Try on the Renegades, they should be fairly similar to the Ranger.

Also, in regards to the Superfeet, I've never had good luck trying to use Superfeet insoles in the heavy duty Lowas. Instead I use the Sole insole, and get the thin version. It's about 1-2 mm thinner than green Superfeet, and has served me well.