Lowa Renegade for Idaho Elk in Mid-October?

Searched a bunch but wanted to drill down on a pretty specific question about the Lowa Renegade GTX.

I primarily hunt spring turkey and deer in PA. It can get pretty hilly and steep but certain not mountains by any stretch. Next fall, so in 15ish months, I’ll be doing a 5-day elk hunt in Idaho. I know I’ll need a bit of new gear and boots are top of my list since my usual options are probably insufficient (North face hiking boots for spring, Sorel Caribou for treestand cold).

I was thinking the Lowas could be a good middle ground for a little more active boot, time to break them in and purpose built for what will likely be a one-off 5 day trip without breaking the bank for features I won’t really need too much before or after. But a good boot always has some value, I just don’t think I need to spend $300 if I can find what I need for $150 for basically 5 days.

I also tried on the Salomon Quest 4D and didn’t really like the fit. The Lowas were however a real nice fit on my feet.

thoughts?

Last edited:

RCB

WKR
Last 2 years I ran the Merrel Moab in Colorado mid November. Between 8 and 10k feet. I suspect the Lowa Renegade would be just fine. Agreed that there is no need to drop $300.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn out a couple of pairs of Renegades and have on another pair as I type this. They are not the toughest boot out there by any means, but for what you describe I think they would be fine... if you stay out of slide rock or scree.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Probably dependant on your feet, lots of guys love a stiff boot for support and protection. As a trail runner my feet and ankles hate that feeling of being locked down and I like a more flexible nimble boot.

I would have a back up boot of some kind to go along but if your feet don't want a heavy duty boot you dont need one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I have a couple pairs or Lowa Renegades with a fair amount of use with them. I used a pair to train with during summer weighted pack hikes. No way I would use these for an elk hunt. Not enough support for me and depending on time of year you can get significant snow

I'm from PA and took a pair of renegades to Idaho in 2018 for a 7 day diy backpack hunt, accessing 10 miles per day. They did not work for me, I had sole separation from the uppers on both boots by day 3, which compromised the waterproofing. They also allowed the balls of my feet to bruise because the rubber was too soft to distribute the impact of downhill packing on rocks. Of all the things I took to Idaho those boots performed the worst.

I'm running crispis now and love them, but boot preferences definitely differ from person to person.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Ill be the odd person out and say that I really like the renegades. I used a pair for several years and never had an issue. I do not like stiff boots though. If you already know they work for your feet I say oil them up and wear them elk hunting. Bring some gaiters in case you get snow and you should be fine.

bruno59

WKR
I have using the renegades for a long time been though at least 6 pairs and by far are my favorite boot to hike in last pair in moab and the grand canyon at least 500 miles on them and still going strong i have never had the soles separate on any of them they are not a stiff boot so with pack and meat not the best for that but light weight and hiking the mtns. perfect also i can take a pair out of the box and put them on and hike right away no problems

I had a pair of lowa renegades a few years ago. They fit my feet nicely and were very comfortable for general wear. However, the sole was very soft and I found it did not offer enough support when packing heavy loads.

Garmont is my preferred boot these days.

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from PA and took a pair of renegades to Idaho in 2018 for a 7 day diy backpack hunt, accessing 10 miles per day. They did not work for me, I had sole separation from the uppers on both boots by day 3, which compromised the waterproofing. They also allowed the balls of my feet to bruise because the rubber was too soft to distribute the impact of downhill packing on rocks. Of all the things I took to Idaho those boots performed the worst.

I'm running crispis now and love them, but boot preferences definitely differ from person to person.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Which pair of crispis? I’m in a similar situation to the OP and have been looking at the Crispi.

The Renegades just don’t fit my feet. I tried to break them in but they never felt good on my feet and they would hurt at the end of the day. Meindl boots fit my feet perfectly right out of the box. My Renegades are at least 70% and I would sell them for $50. Size 9.5 regular width.

OP
C
Thanks for all the replies.
Might grab a sale pair of Lowas (seem to be findable for as low as $150) and worst case end up with a solid Turkey and hiking boot with time to decide on a bigger investment before October 2021.
I like the gaiter idea as a cheaper mix but TBD. Always preferhaving a few extra $$$ for other gear if I can but don’t we all.