Lowa Renegade GTX first impressions

OP
Newtosavage
I have a long history of foot problems and corrective surgeries. In general, my feet do better and feel better when in a light boot than any other kind of footwear and have begun wearing light hiking boots for daily wear. I work from home so I dont have to worry about appearance. I have been looking at the Lowa GTX Mid for a daily wear/light day hike application. Is their comfort level sufficient for that?
I think so. I am going to buy another pair for work. They are that comfortable for me.

LRJammer

FNG
New, I usually take the boots back when they fail the water test and rarely get another pair of the same. The renegade have fewer leak reports compared to the quest 4d, which also failed the water test after about 50 miles. I suspect it's because the renegade is leather with no mesh panels, those panels allow water straight into the boot. On a boot like the quest, the water enters and surrounds the entire gtx "bootie" almost immediately.
Knowing any hiker I get will leak, I've moved to the light side and used Salomon X Ultra's last year. Way less money and lighter than most. I think what would really help would be a gaiter that covers the forefoot/toe box hinge point.
I'm afraid I just dont understand how that water test is in any way applicable for testing Goretex. It is specifically designed to permit moisture to permeate from the inside out, but keep water outside of it out.

I can see where that test might be useful for identifying seam leaks if water leaks out very quickly after filling, but water coming through the membrane from the inside to outside is specifically what Goretex was designed to do.

I'm afraid I just dont understand how that water test is in any way applicable for testing Goretex. It is specifically designed to permit moisture to permeate from the inside out, but keep water outside of it out.

I can see where that test might be useful for identifying seam leaks if water leaks out very quickly after filling, but water coming through the membrane from the inside to outside is specifically what Goretex was designed to do.
Gortex isn’t a one way laminate, the difference in the outers layers is that they are different types of protection for the inter membrane. Vapor can flow both ways.

The transfer rates/porousness of the membrane in regards to vapor flow depends on humidity, heat and pressure. Essentially it takes a specific environment one side of the membrane for vapor to flow to the other. With enough pressure you can push water either direction through the membrane.