Lowa Renegade GTX first impressions

I have 2 pair of Renegades and have been really happy with them. I think of them like a half ton truck, lite to moderate hiking. My Lowa Tibet’s and Kenetrek extremes as my 1ton work horses.

Renegades are not a one piece leather, so they do have areas with more stitching or rubber rand for sharp objects hitting the sides.

I’ve not had any leaking issues. Both pair on their third pair of insoles and one has been resoled.

i use my Renegades for hunting, hiking, fishing, and duty boots as they are black.

My oldest pair with the resole has needed some stitching from me abusing them.

Keep them cleaned up, polished, and out of hot cars/ trucks you will cut down on most negative reviews people have with these boots.

Most people don’t know it but a lot of boots have heat activated glue on the soles. Over time of being left in hot cars during the summer cases the glue to deactivate. Then you wear them the sole comes off. Just the nature of having a comfortable medium duty boot with now sewn on mid sole.

I have read a lot of people use the Salomon Quad 4d GTX and on paper they seem similar to the Renegade. Is this assumption true?

I had the Solomon’s and they were too tight and would need a wide which the Renegade offers. Would this be a good alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
It's a similar boot style but I've found the hanwag banks to Be an excellent built boot. The seams and gortex liner have held up to a lot of abuse and the rockered sole really makes them a pleasure to hiking miles in.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of Meindl comfort fit light hikers and really like the boot, especially the wider toe box. I'm not crazy about the cork insoles they come with. Curious are you guys adding the Superfeet insoles over the existing insoles in your boots or swapping them out?

I have read a lot of people use the Salomon Quad 4d GTX and on paper they seem similar to the Renegade. Is this assumption true?

I had the Solomon’s and they were too tight and would need a wide which the Renegade offers. Would this be a good alternative?

IMO they are very different and I have a lot of miles in both.

Could you explain?

Best I can explain is the Solomon is more of a technical build? I felt that the Renegade was built to suit a wide range of people. The 4d is higher and wraps the ankle much better with much better ankle support. I felt the 4d actually had too stiff an ankle support for a shoe that light and flexible.

wapitibob

WKR

The quest 4d is a bit "more boot" from my experience. Not much, just a tad stiffer and a little heavier (different mid sole mtl)

wesfromky

WKR
I have worn out a few pair of renegades in the past - nice boots for what they are designed to be.

Three years ago, I picked up some Lowa rangers - just as comfortable as the renegades, but more support and have held up way better.

mdkelley

FNG
Bought a pair of renegade gtx mid a couple weeks ago. Have 20+ miles on them mostly with a 35-40lb Pack for training. Terrain is Arizona rock. The do need insoles, my feet ache after a long day. My one gripe is they seem to run narrow. I wear a 11.5 regular, in the Iowa I had to go to 12 wide and it is still a bit tight on my right foot. I am hoping they will wear in a bit. If not, back to rei after spring bear season. The issue could be that most of my boots are more flexible so they stretch to fit where these don't stretch much.

EDIT: after about 50 miles on these and using a boot stretcher I took them back to REI to swap for a 13 wide. They didn't have any in stock so I went with an asolo boot. I really liked the Lowa renegate GTX they just seem to run a bit small, both length and width. That is my experience. The asolo 12 wide fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m on my third pair of Renegade narrows. They’ve been on top of many of Colorado 14’rs, in and out of the Black Canyon dozens of times, carried out elk... bottom line they’ve worked great for me. I also have the Lowa Camino’s for a bit stiffer boot in really nasty sidehill conditions.

OP
Newtosavage
So far, I'm loving these boots. After a couple days of turkey hunting in the mountains of SE New Mexico (all above 9k feet in very rocky terrain) my feet have never felt better.

LostArra

WKR
I like the leather lined renegades. Just treat the outside and they are as waterproof as anything.

I prefer these types of softer boots even though they wear out faster. They usually only take a week to break in and are almost half the cost of stiffer options. Plus they are quieter while hunting.

Agree ^^
I wear the leather lined low Renegades to work. Unbelievable comfort after replacing the industry standard pathetic insole.

In my experience waterproofness in most lightweight hiking boots is usually temporary. Fortunately where I elk hunt it's essentially a desert. My deer hunting is usually hiking thru creeks and swamps so it's the Lacrosse style for most days.

OP
Newtosavage
Agree ^^
I wear the leather lined low Renegades to work. Unbelievable comfort after replacing the industry standard pathetic insole.

In my experience waterproofness in most lightweight hiking boots is usually temporary. Fortunately where I elk hunt it's essentially a desert. My deer hunting is usually hiking thru creeks and swamps so it's the Lacrosse style for most days.
Same. I've never felt the need for a true waterproof boot in 6 years of elk/mule deer hunting in Colorado. Last year was probably the best test, with 15" of snow that I hiked through for 8 days. But the temps never got above freezing so the snow never melted on the boots. LOL I guess that's a silver lining eh? :D

I upgraded from Danner 2.5 years ago to Lowa Camino GTX. What a difference a good quality boot makes. Waterproofing that actually keeps water out. More support, yet comfortable.

OP
Newtosavage
After a pretty intense 17 mi. 2-nighter to the South Rim at Big Bend NP over July 4th and last week in Colorado chasing muleys, I'm still loving these Lowa Renegades. Only once in my hunt earlier this week did I feel like I could have used a bit more ankle support, but that was in a pretty extreme situation I could have avoided if I had wanted to. Otherwise, my feet have NEVER felt better after a week in the mountains. I averaged about 5-6 miles/day and probably 1000' vertical. With my green Superfeet insoles, these things are the bomb. Love 'em!

LRJammer

FNG
I have a long history of foot problems and corrective surgeries. In general, my feet do better and feel better when in a light boot than any other kind of footwear and have begun wearing light hiking boots for daily wear. I work from home so I dont have to worry about appearance. I have been looking at the Lowa GTX Mid for a daily wear/light day hike application. Is their comfort level sufficient for that?

Blandry

WKR
I've owned some renegades.. the sole literally delaminated after 3 years of light use and storage. It was a documented issue all over the internet. Otherwise they performed well. Now that I'm aware of Salewa I don't think I would buy any other brand hikers. The salewa heel lock and overall durability is hard to beat.