Lowa Renegade

sivart

WKR
Still trying to find a Sept Elk hunting boot that doesn't give me heel blisters. Anyone have pros and cons to this one?

The sole is far too soft for heavy packs on rough terrain and all that stitching makes for many potential failure points. They're comfortable though.

wapitibob

WKR
I've had a plethora of boots including the renegade. Depending on how much rock you'll see on your hunts you could step up to a quest 4d. Those should be soft enough to mold to your foot and not blister while providing a slightly stiffer sole. They will leak eventually.
I hunted in the salomon x ultra low this year and loved them. No rock to speak of this year, mostly E Oregon dirt and sticks type terrain. I didn't see any water when hunting and haven't yet done a water test so I can't speak to their waterproofness. They also make a x ultra mid. Whichever way you go, lowa, salomon, etc, get them at rei so you can hunt in them and return if they don't work out.

sasquatch

WKR
I like my renegades. I have lowa Tibet highs, renegades and zamberland 996 I believe.

The renegades always go on first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LaHunter

WKR
I have a couple pairs of renegades and use them primarily as casual footwear. I would never consider them as an elk hunting boot, as LongWayAround mentioned, the sole is pretty flexible and doesn’t provide enough support for me. I prefer the Ticams and the Tibets as a true mountain hunting boot

SDHNTR

WKR
I love them and they get the most use in my boot quiver. The only exception, as mentioned before, is when I am carrying a heavy pack. Then I opt for the Tibets.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a couple of pairs of Renegades. They are now the only hunting boots I use now. For me, the most important aspects of my hunting boots are comfort and waterproofness. The Lowas has excelled at both. I do replace the Lowa insole with a Superfeet Blue. I've never had the need for stiffer boots for heavy packs. I've backpacked all over the Rockies mostly in trail runners. If you feel you need a lot of ankle support, then the Renegades may not be the best choice. But, the comfort can't be beat.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m on my third pair of Renegades. They can be ordered in narrow, medium, and wide sizes. For a light boot on my narrow feet they are great and i’ve carried many loads with them. They do have a lot of seams which are a point of failure for them eventually. Very comfortable. I have a pair of Lowa Camino’s that work a bit better for real heavy loads, they are also a good boot for narrow feet. I use custom insoles for all my footware now after going through plantar fasciitis.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have heel blister issues with every boot. Some are better than others and after trying 6 different brands of boots I ended up with Lowa Tibets. That said, I will still get heel blisters if I wear for a week straight of hard hunting. So, I have learned to use a heel lock lacing technique, which further reduces my heel slip. Then,, always keep an extra pair of dry socks with you as damp socks lead to blisters. Last, leukotape for any hotspots and don't wait for the blister to form. The listed steps above worked for me and I hunted 10 days, with a few hot days mixed in without blister issues.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
What's a good price for these? I've had guys tell me they paid $150 shipped, but I can only find them around $200

5 years of Renegade experience with 3 different pairs. About 55 days worth of SW Colorado and N Central NM hiking and hunting experience on them with 2 elk pack outs. Plus, all the hiking and deer hunting I do on more remote public here in MI - Here are my thoughts:

-Best sale you can find is usually $150, but most common is $180ish. Paying full price with REI for their return policy is worth it if it's your first pair

-This year marks the first time where my original pair (GTX version that I oil up regularly) has not been 100% waterproof. The overall quality and toughness of the boot has been outstanding.

-They fit my size 11 wide foot great BUT the most recent pair I bought (Summer 2020) did not fit the same as my others. The heel cup was tighter and the toe box seemed different. According to the BlackOvis rep who spoke to Lowa, no changes were made to sizing. Maybe I just got an off pair?

-While I wouldn't wear them sheep hunting or crawling across rockslides or boulder fields all day, in my opinion, the sole is stiff enough for my feet even when packing out meat on somewhat rocky or uneven terrain.

Catahoula

WKR
I’ve had three pair over the years, but never wore them for hunting. Great for light hiking, cutting firewood, outdoor chores. Comfortable, never had blister issues.