Lowa Tibet GTX Hi & Kenetrek Mountain Extreme observations

HI All,

In case it's helpful to anyone else out there considering these boots, here are a few out of the box observations.

In order to assess fit with no local shops to try various boots of this level on, I had to resort to ordering from REI and Sportsmans Warehouse as can return easily in stores within an hour of here. Both are non-insulated and feel quite good on my feet just around the house.

Side Roll Stiffness
I read on an Alaskan outdoors forum about their experience about loving the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes in all ways except being a little softer when side hilling for extended distances. So out of curiosity, with the Lowa on my left foot and the Kenetrek on the right, I did my highly scientific field test (on the wood floor at home) of simply rolling one ankle to the outside and then the other.

Low and behold, there is a rather big difference in the side stiffness of the boots, at least right out of the box without break-in. The Kenetreks rolled a lot further out and were naturally more flexible than the Lowas, which rolled very little with the same amount of effort.

Images show: flat on floor, Lowa ankle rolled out, Kenetrek ankle rolled out, Both ankles rolled out

Whether this makes a difference or what's important, I'm leaving that opinion entirely up to each individual.

Waterproof Tongue Height
Both boots are about the same total height, but the Kenetrek tongue goes all the way to the top while the Lowa stops a couple inches lower. (see images) I'm not sure why the Lowa's don't go to the top, which on face value is what I'd prefer for crossing low streams.

As these have zero miles and only a few feet on them, this is by no means an exhaustive review or test, but just a tid bit of info that I hadn't readily found when researching them online. As all wise hunters have recommended, I'm focussing on fit as number 1, 2, 3 top priorities then considering other features after that if fit is good.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3151.jpeg
    IMG_3151.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3152.jpeg
    IMG_3152.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 88
I have owned both. Like you, I found the Lowa's to be a bit stiffer and more supportive around the ankle.

Everyone's feet are different, but mine prefer the fit of the Lowas.

OP
L
How do they compare weight wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the rough guage of holding in my hands and on my feet in the house, the Kenetreks feel a little lighter. Think they're listed as lighter on their specs too. Maybe 4.2lbs vs. 3.9 lbs, but please check for sure.

The Kenetreks "feel" softer out of the box so could understand why some said break in was so easy with them. Again, I have no real life experience with them ... yet...

JDZ

WKR
I'm on my second pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. I tried the Lowa Tibet around the house, but they felt sloppy in the heel and in the forefoot. I like the heel cup and the lace-to-toe of the Kenetrek. Your foot may vary, but that's my input.

ElkNut1

WKR
As far as weight goes I have the Lowa gtx HI- 2lb-2 oz each. Crispi gtx 11" 2lb-3 oz each. Kenetrek Mtn Extreme Insulated 1lb-15 oz each. For myself the Kenetrek is the best All Purpose boot when considering any terrain, it has the best of all worlds of the 3!

ElkNut/Paul