Lowa Tibet GTX leakage?

bardenes

FNG
I bought lowa tibets and absolutely love them. Fit perfectly, super comfortable. About 8 months later was my first long hunt with them, they soaked through the first day in we grass (wearing gators). Feet stayed wet for the entire 10 day hunt. Came home, sent them to lowa, they leak tested and confirmed they leaked so sent me a new pair. No way the new pair would leak right? So 5-6 months later I head back out west for another 10 day hunt...same thing, soaked through from wet grass. Wet feet for 10 days. Came home, called lowa, sent them back to them. They leaked tested and again confirmed they leaked so sent me another new pair. I still have this pair but only wear them when i know i won't be in constant wet. Since then i've been on a quest to find a pair of boots that fit me as well as the Lowas and I still cannot find anything as comfortable with the same support. I hope it is a lowa problem and not a problem with all GTX boots. I've done a few hunts in my Zamberlan 2092's so far no leaks. (they just aren't as comfortable....but manageable)

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a pair of Tibets that I have worn exclusively for the last 5 seasons about 45-60 days a year. They just now started leaking the last week of guiding this year, and it was in 12" snow all day. I also did not wax them like I normally do before the hunts started, but the rand is pulling away in several places and I think this probably is the main culprit.

I was planning on getting another pair, but all these reports of what seem to be newer models leaking bad is not real comforting.

Finch

WKR
I have had a pair of Tibets that I have worn exclusively for the last 5 seasons about 45-60 days a year. They just now started leaking the last week of guiding this year, and it was in 12" snow all day. I also did not wax them like I normally do before the hunts started, but the rand is pulling away in several places and I think this probably is the main culprit.

I was planning on getting another pair, but all these reports of what seem to be newer models leaking bad is not real comforting.

Pretty much the same story here. I have aquasealed the rand back to the leather and my soles have also started separating. I bought them in 2014 and they've been on 4 elk hunts and I wear them exclusively here in VA for deer and turkey seasons. They do protect my feet well and are comfortable but I'm wondering if the grass is greener...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like Zamberlan hydrobloc because it seems like the leather likes it, really soaks it up. Forget Nikwax for sure...Montana pitch blend isnt that bad, obenhaufs is okay too but its petroleum based and can soften the glue that holds the rand on. None of them seems to last more than 4-7 days of hard hunting though.

Obenaufs has no petroleum products in it. It is also made in Idaho.

I'm not sure what the "non-oil based petroleum hydrocarbons" are in Zamberlan's hydrobloc though.

Brooks

WKR
Been wearing the Tibet GTX boots in the roughest, nastiest places in NM for 4 years and never have had them leak. I do waterproof them . Great boots.

I've had my Lowa Tibet GTX Hi for five years now. To date, they're the most waterproof boots I've ever owned in terms of exposure to moisture without significant leakage. At any given time I have/use 5+ pairs of boots and these have really impressed me. They've done lots of creek crossings, long days in the snow lion hunting, and lots of snowy late season hunts.
Any solid leather upper boot has to rely on waterproof treatment to handle lots of moisture. I only use SnoSeal or Granger's. In bad conditions, I clean and reapply at least two coats after every single trip. That means after every single weekend during lion season. It sucks, but my feet are dry and my uppers on all of my leather boots look brand new. Anyone who thinks GoreTex liners are going to hold up to 100-400+ miles of friction against your feet and not leak is living under a rock. It's never going to happen, no matter what guarantee they stamp on it (insert Tommy Boy clip here).
I have had the same experience with my Tibets. I have put 100's of kilometers on them over the last 4 years in Australia, Bhutan, New Zealand and Austria. These are my go to when ever I am heading somewhere outdoors and they have held up great. I only clean them and treat the leather every 6 months maybe? I know you're supposed to do it more often but in Australia we can hunt 365 days a year and I can't always be bothered when I know that they are going to be dirty again in 2 or 3 days time. Best boot I have owned to date.

EATELK

FNG
I think I'm on my 3rd pair of Tibet's....each pair has leaked within a year and Lowa has replaced them. Frustrating since they fit so well

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on my 2nd pair of Tibet’s and both were great first year and leaked part way through second season wearing them during hunting season only, they are going back to gore again.. but to be fair every pair of gore Tex boots has done the same..