Lowa Tibet Leather Lined

MattB

WKR
Has anyone played with these yet? If so, I'd be interested in the comparison to the stadard version. The Tibet is my go-to boot and the leather lining seems like an improvement over the Gore-Tex for warmer weather.

Lost Arra

FNG
I've got leather lined Trekkers and Renegades. The Renegades are lows that I wear to work.
Most comfortable footwear I own.
When my Tibets (not LL) finally wear out I will replace them with all leather model.

I don't know if they are significantly "cooler" than the GT models but they mold to your foot much better.

bowinhand

WKR
The Baffin pro is the leather lined version. I have the Tibets and the Banff pro LL and like them both the leather lined are a bit heaver though.

I have worn leather lined Baffins (current) and Banff (previous). As said, they mold to your feet wonderfully. One drawback to them is when the liner gets wet, the leather swells and can reduce the volume enough (under very wet conditions) that they can become uncomfortable.

As for being cooler, they seem to be. Although I am starting to think that all leather boots aren't that cool to begin with. I just got back from REI and picked up a pair of Lowa Zephyrs for early season archery hunting. I'll still wear the Baffins on backpack trips in tough country, but I'm hoping the Zephyrs fit the bill for a cooler, quieter pair of boots for most conditions.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I just ordered a pair of the Baffin Pro's. Was looking for a new non goretex boot for warmer weather but still a heavy duty backpacking boot. CC Outdoors also had the new Tibet LL in stock for $20 more. I was told that the Tibet's were so popular that they just did the new LL boot so a person could buy one of each for different seasons but that the Tibet LL was essentially the Baffin. The soles were a little different and appeared a lower cut in the back at the cuff on the Tibets. The newbuck appeared darker on the Baffin too, so for $ and appearance I went with it. I'll report when I receive. Goretex is better than it used to be....well that, or modern merino wool socks, for keeping your feet a little less sweaty. I wanted to try a non membrane boot for the first time in a long time though.

Tiger Rag

WKR
ok, I received the Lowa Baffin Pro's leather lined yesterday. Absolutely beautiful boot and beautifully constructed. Looks like they'd survive nuclear fallout. Pretty darn stiff soled, just about perfect in my estimation. Not as stiff as my Kenetrek Mountain Guides, but a very good all around backpacking boot stiffness in my mind. I like the lower height of 8" for an all around boot and early season. I love the lacing system, really feels like you can crank down with these.....eyelets in all the right places. Maybe the swivel point anchor at the flex of the ankle is as big of a deal as they make it out to be. It feels like I can really lock my heel in ~however, I'm finding I'm getting some heel slip for my narrow heel. These boots are not cushy by any stretch - very firm but still comfortable. The soles are about average density - pretty firm. I've gotten where I really like the Crispi softer composition rubber that really grips and so far - about a year - has held up great.

Kind of puts me in a conundrum since the heel cup is a little wide for me and I'm getting a little more heel slip than I'd like. They might break in and I might could make them work, but I'm a little apprehensive. Plenty of good boots out there, just seems like leather lined uninsulated boots are a dying breed. I got a fair deal on these but still, not dirt cheap by any stretch of the imagination. They just might just have to go back. I'll try them a few more days around the house and see how it goes. Anyway, those are my initial impressions.

I really want to make these boots work, but they just might not be the ones for my feet.

Vitals

WKR
Out of curiosity, what made you go with these over the leather lined Tibet. I am torn between having rei order the Tibet, the bighorn hunters, or the alaskas for me to try.

Vitals

WKR
They don't but you can ask them to special order a pair for you. You have to pay for them of course, but with rei return policy you can always take them back, no questions asked as long as you are a member.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Out of curiosity, what made you go with these over the leather lined Tibet. I am torn between having rei order the Tibet, the bighorn hunters, or the alaskas for me to try.
basically The Same Boot. Baffin's Are A Little Taller In The Cuff(in the rear), Slightly Darker Color, And Since They Are Last Years Boot, They Were Less Expensive.

Last edited:

Tiger Rag

WKR
I put a set of Meindle perfekt footbeds in them and they fit much better. I haven't had a boot that these footbeds worked in to date. Thought I'd hang on to them just in case. Much less heel slip now. This boot will take more breaking in that any boot I have based on the stiffness all the way up....which I think is a good thing. I may keep these after all.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up the newer LL version earlier this spring. Very nice boot. My feet measure a true 9-3/4 and just under D width with low volume. Based on my research prior to purchasing the standard Lowa Tibet LL was supposed to be a D width, medium volume and true to size. I purchased a regular size 10 and the fit was as expected. Due to my low volume feet and slightly narrower foot I need to use a thicker insole and heavy socks for a proper fit. The overall length is just about perfect. After half a dozen or so hikes, I couldn't be happier with the boots.

aggieland

WKR
I just ordered a pair of the Tibet LL boots from CC outdoors. I usually wear a 10.5 shoe etc but After measuring all kinds of different ways I went with the 9.5 wide boot. Guess we will see how well this size fits. And I will let you all know how I like the boots when they arrive!

OP
M

MattB

WKR
The Tibets are uninsulated whereas the Hunter has 400 gr. of thinsulate I believe, so the latter might be a better choice in cold temperatures. I wore my Tbets on Kodiak a number of years ago when the temps were in the teens and my feet went numb from the cold.

As far as sizing, you will hear that Tibets either run true to size or slightly small. I typically wear a 10.5 shoe and wear an 11 in the Tibets. Combined with Lathrop's synergy footbeds to eat up some of the volume, they fit like a dream.

aggieland

WKR
I hope they don't run small or I will be sending these back. I measured my foot as many different ways as possible and surprisingly kept coming up with 9.5 E but usually wear a 10.5. Might have made a mistake, but we will see.

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
I had concerns of them running small, but my Tibets were true to size...measured my foot several times while on the phone with Stephen and when I got them with the synergy footbeds already installed, they were perfect.

aggieland

WKR
Good to hear Bob. Do you remember what method you used to size them? I found two different sites online one being ebay and the other I lost here on the computer but both had the same result. I know a 10.5" foot =9.5 size boot

Tiger Rag

WKR
My Experience And The Utility On CC Outdoors SuggestsThat Lowa Boots Run Small. I Usually Wear 12-12.5. I Ordered 13 in The Baffin Pro And Length Was Prefect.