Lowa Tibet Superwarm GTX

Kzceh

FNG
Greetings, new to this forum but have participated on others for years under same user. I have already found a lot of good information here.
I am considering these boots for general deer hunting. Mainly hunt the mountains of north Georgia.

Can anyone confirm the height of these boots? I cannot seem to find it unless I assume 8” like regular Tibet GTX.
Will these be pretty stiff and require reasonable break in?

I have Used Danner Pronghorn’s the last 15-20 years but the last pair I bought just doesn’t fit as well as previous versions. I seem to migrate toward comfort more than anything as I age.

Thanks.

jolemons

WKR
Mine are about an inch or two taller than my regular Tibets. While warm, they are stiff and bulky. The sensation of wearing them is similar to having bricks on your feet. I use mine while hunting in snow and cold below 20 degrees or so and they work well for that application.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kzceh

FNG
Mine are about an inch or two taller than my regular Tibets. While warm, they are stiff and bulky. The sensation of wearing them is similar to having bricks on your feet. I use mine while hunting in snow and cold below 20 degrees or so and they work well for that application.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I appreciate the feedback. I meant to mention I have used Pronghorns in 600 -1000 gram Thinsulate. I am considering a different strategy by going down in weight and maybe using Artic Shield booties for temps in the 20's or lower. Sounds like the Tibet's may work against that strategy.

BorisZ

FNG
this is the size 8.5 UK /9.5 US (sorry - sm)

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_120011 tibet superwarm.jpg
    IMG_20201227_120011 tibet superwarm.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201227_115823 lowa tibet superwarm.jpg
    IMG_20201227_115823 lowa tibet superwarm.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
K

Kzceh

FNG
this is the size 8.5 UK /9.5 US (sorry - sm)
That is very kind to send a pic of the measurement. It looks like those are right at 8" tall. Thank you. That happens to be the size I would get as well. What are your thoughts on the those boots?

LostArra

WKR
My experience is there is nothing "sneaky" about Tibets. As jolemons described they are heavy and stiff which is great for carrying a heavy pack but they sure wouldn't be described as great stalkers although plenty of successful elk hunters wear them including myself (in the past. I now wear lighter boots). If you are going to be stand hunting I like your Arctic Shield booty plan with a lighter boot.

OP
K

Kzceh

FNG
My experience is there is nothing "sneaky" about Tibets. As jolemons described they are heavy and stiff which is great for carrying a heavy pack but they sure wouldn't be described as great stalkers although plenty of successful elk hunters wear them including myself (in the past. I now wear lighter boots). If you are going to be stand hunting I like your Arctic Shield booty plan with a lighter boot.
Yes, I primarily stand hunt. I have never owned any of the higher end European boots so between finding a deal in my size and just wanting to try some was my motivation. However, some of my research on this site has me leaning toward lighter boots. I do regular trail hikes in Salomon X Ultra mid but they just do not support my ankles when I have used them for early season deer hunting. Other than that my feet love them.

LostArra

WKR
This is just one opinion but going from the X Ultra to the Tibet is a gigantic leap in weight and stiffness. There are plenty of supportive boots between those two. Since the Salomon's agree with you, have you looked at the Salomon Quest 4D? The only knock is unreliable waterproofness but they are a step up in support from the X Ultra. I've owned three pairs over the years.

I use small platform stands with sticks and occasionally ladder stands and I will stand on the seat sometimes. I like to "feel" the steps and the platform edge with my feet even though I wear a harness. My Tibets are too stiff and heavy to have any of this "tactile awareness". Same problem when stalking but elk are noisy and is less a problem than with deer.

OP
K

Kzceh

FNG
I have looked at the Quest 4D as an option for early season. I actually just ordered some Lowa Renegade's to fill that niche for now. I am more focused on a lighter insulated boot at the moment. As I mentioned earlier I have actually being using Danner Pronghorns for several years which weigh a little over 3.5lbs. Transitioning to the Tibet's wouldn't be a huge jump unless they are a lot stiffer. I just do not like the fit of the latest Pronghorns I purchased.

Having said all of that I am still interested in looking at a lighter insulated boot and using the Artic Shields as another option. It looks like Salomon, Oboz, and Keen might be a possibility to save some weight but still get maybe 200-400 grams of insulation. I just know the build quality will not be the same as the Lowa, Crispi, etc heavier weight options.

Sorry if I have turned my thread into two different directions. Just thinking out loud as I go.