Lower body layering for North Slope early September

mcseal2

WKR
What do you guys recommend for layering on the bottom half of your body? Temps can be anything but look to average in the lower 40's.

I have run First Lite Aerowool boxers and like them a lot. I also have their 200 weight long underwear if I need them for colder temps. Darn Tough full cushion boot socks have worked well for me too, I'm planning on taking all those items.

Past that I'm trying to figure out what I should take. What insulation and rain layers I need depend a lot on if I run waders a lot or rain pants.

I have Kuiu Yukon rain pants I'm thinking of taking as my only pant. I'd wear those with my hunting boots and gaiters. I have the Kuiu Kenai zip off bottoms that can go under the Yukon pant while glassing for extra warmth. I got my Yukon pants sized to fit as normal hunting pants over just base layers.

I also have a pair of the lighter Chugach rain pants that are a size big that will fit over more insulation layers. They are pretty baggy to hike in but work well over normal hunting pants plus my Kuiu Superdown pro pants for cold wet sits. I mostly take that stuff when I'll be wearing normal pants but want a lot of warmth for sitting in snow glassing for a long time. I have several different Kryptek or Sitka non-waterproof hunting pants of different warmth levels I could take also. I have options other than those I picked above if something else is a better idea. I'd get a pair of the Wiggys waders to throw in the pack for crossing water during the day's hunt.

I usually run a stiff boot with a lot of ankle support. I don't think I could hike long distances or pack meat well in a muck or similar boot. For that reason I am thinking I'll take my Simms G3 chest waders and G3 boots in case we want to cross the river we get dropped on, or otherwise need them. I'd wear them on the airboat going in and then leave them in camp unless we end up needing them past that. With them I'd just wear my Aerowool underwear and have the Kuiu Kenai pants if I wanted to put them under for a long glassing sit.

Seem like a decent plan, or should I take some other combo of stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Buck2747

FNG
Read a post hear a few months back that talked about a puffy pant to wear while sitting and glassing for hours. I am planing on that for my trip next year. Need to be easy on off so they can slip over boots. Can also double as sleep pants if the weather turns..

I had a very similar setup on my last trip up there. The waders and G3 boots are an awesome combo. I think that those could also serve as your rain/wet hiking setup. My Yukon’s only got worn one day, and that’s because I brought them, by God, I was going to use them.
I love, LOVE, the Kenai pants. I slept in them most nights, and left the sleeping bag unzipped. Started my day in them, and zipped them off as I got active.

I guess the big decision is how much hiking are you planning, and are you limited on weight. If you have lots of ground to cover, I’d bring a more breathing pant than the Yukon

jhm2023

WKR
All I use for September slope hunts for bottom layers is my attack pants, the peloton 200 zip offs underneath when the temps and activity level dictate, and I add my chugach rain pants over that to cut wind or when its wet. OR croc gaiters also really help keep the water at bay because I prefer to wear a stiff mountain boot to help my ankles on all the tussocks. I haven't tried using waders and probably never will because I refuse to hike/pack with them. A light pack raft is great for crossing rivers and often cuts down on the distance you have to pack meat by giving the option to only hike the meat to the river then float or line it back to camp. This is my go to setups for August-September slope and Brook's range hunts. I start bringing the puffy pants on the October hunts, but water typically isn't an issue then as it's frozen.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I would wear waders or wading pants for the boat ride. Don't like to be in a boat much and not be in a pair.

Since its a boat drop off, weight is probably not an issue. So I'd go with some light poly or merino bottoms, light pants of some sort, rain pants, and I use synthetic overpants for when it's cold or sitting a long time.

Obviously not going to be wearing them all at the same time. On the nice days when moving around even a little bit you'll be fine in just the light pants.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I just read earlier today about the Chota Tundra Hippie. They would probably be on the warm side while hiking but might be just right while stopped glassing. I already have the G3 wading boots that have adequate ankle support that would work with them. They can be a waterproof knee high or full hip boot depending on how you adjust them. Might not be a bad option for me over my rain pants (waterproof butt for sitting) and with my Kuiu Kenai pants to put under them if needed for real cold glassing stops. The Kenai's only weigh 8oz and disappear in the pack.

I have time to figure it out, just looking at options still.