LPVO on bolt rifle ?

Does it make sense to put an lpvo on a bolt rifle? I’ve been seeking out a scope to put on my .17 hornet calling rifle, I typically hunt fox and the max distance id shoot one with that caliber is 250, possibly 300 if it’s dead still with no wind… im looking at the accupoint 1-6 and it looks like a pretty nice optic, I’ve considered the higher mag versions but I’d like to save the weight.

I used a VX6 1-6 for many years and the only downside I found was range work. I have noticed though that a few of the late models have adjustments limited to .2 mils or .5 moa, if that matters to you.

Given your relatively small target, I suggest you check out the Accupoint 3-9. That is also very light.

Blue72

WKR
What is there not to like..LPVO benefits are

1. zero magnification at base setting, making the scope as fast as a red dot sight
2. lightweight (some only weigh 9 ounces)
3. more compact then regular scopes
4. With the standard hunting rule of needing 1x of magnification for each hundred yards or 2x for each hundred yards for precision shooting. 6x should work fine for what your looking for

sram9102

WKR
I put a few years worth of deer in the freezer with a 1-6 strike eagle on a shorty 308. Super handy rifle.

OP
Joshuajosh
It makes ton of sense. What makes no sense is putting a 10+ mag optic on a rifle that will never be used over 300 yards. FOV is far more important when calling predators than magnification, that 1-6 should be great.
The only thing I’m worried about is low light performance with a 24mm obj, i spotlight though so I honestly don’t think it matters as much, I have noticed even when spotlighting a larger obj does help

The only thing I’m worried about is low light performance with a 24mm obj, i spotlight though so I honestly don’t think it matters as much, I have noticed even when spotlighting a larger obj does help
I think you'll be ok at short distances. Are you using a white light?
There are some pretty reasonably priced thermal clip on sights that work great on LPVOs. $1100 or so. They would be adequate for shooting 200-300 yards.

OP
Joshuajosh
I think you'll be ok at short distances. Are you using a white light?
There are some pretty reasonably priced thermal clip on sights that work great on LPVOs. $1100 or so. They would be adequate for shooting 200-300 yards.
I am using a red light, throws like 700 meters, I can’t shoot past 300 with this rifle though anyways

Blue72

WKR
The only thing I’m worried about is low light performance with a 24mm obj,
they have small objectives because its low magnification….even at 6x power you still have a 4mm exit pupil. About the same as a 10x42 binocular. ….so it’s not as bad as you think it is

seand

Lil-Rokslider
No it doesn’t make sense. The only reason to run a LPVO is that you want to be able to run it like a red dot on 1x. Everything else about it is a compromise.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I pulled the LPVO off my Kimber due to low light performance. The reticle in my LPVO was also not the best for my use. Otherwise, I liked everything about it.

I pulled the LPVO off my Kimber due to low light performance. The reticle in my LPVO was also not the best for my use. Otherwise, I liked everything about it.
I recall you had one for sale recently (I passed on it because I'm thinking of one with an exposed elevation turret). Would you mind sharing your reluctance on the reticle? My only initial concern with that one is the large size of the center dot, but otherwise wondering if there are other considerations since I haven't gotten to use or look through one-- understanding this will depend on your hunt needs.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I recall you had one for sale recently (I passed on it because I'm thinking of one with an exposed elevation turret). Would you mind sharing your reluctance on the reticle? My only initial concern with that one is the large size of the center dot, but otherwise wondering if there are other considerations since I haven't gotten to use or look through one-- understanding this will depend on your hunt needs.
The center dot size was my problem with the reticle. It could be worked with, but I found using the first hold over harder than I thought because my eye kept wanting to focus on the dot in the center.

If the dot was replaced with a triangle, it would have fixed much of my issue as the apex could be used for more precise shots.

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a Kahles 16i 1-6x 24mm on my AR, the glass clarity and brightness is exceptional more so than another Swarovski Z5 I have.

The center dot size was my problem with the reticle. It could be worked with, but I found using the first hold over harder than I thought because my eye kept wanting to focus on the dot in the center.

If the dot was replaced with a triangle, it would have fixed much of my issue as the apex could be used for more precise shots.

Not a triangle, but I just saw the new FC-DMx reticle is listed for the NX8 1-8x24. It has a 0.2mrad (0.7moa) center dot, compared to the previous 0.3mrad (1.25moa) center dot on the FC-MIL and FC-MOA reticles. That may just tip the scales for me. Price appears to be the same around $1750 retail.

ETtikka

WKR
I recently ordered a swfa 1-4 and put on a tikka 308, used for thick hardwoods , 30-150 yards shot range, small objective hurts low light performance but seems to work through legal hunting hours

Center dot is ~1” at 100 yds