LR trigger pull weight?

Trigger Pull Weight

• Total voters

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What weight are you running on your trigger for your long range hunting rifle?

If you also want, explain why you have that weight and what your trigger press is like.

Why do you like that weight?
What is the feel of the trigger?

I will put the answers in a "Tips" in a coming week and do a video.

jolemons

WKR
I am set at 1.5 lbs currently in a single stage with no creep. It's great for the range, but I'm considering increasing to 2-2.5 for hunting. I had an AD last year on an animal while my heart rate was up and I had my finger on the trigger as I was panning onto the vitals. Luckily it was a miss target than a wound and I was able to kill it with a follow up shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am set at 1.5 lbs currently in a single stage with no creep. It's great for the range, but I'm considering increasing to 2-2.5 for hunting. I had an AD last year on an animal while my heart rate was up and I had my finger on the trigger as I was panning onto the vitals. Luckily it was a miss target than a wound and I was able to kill it with a follow up shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I had an ND at a match and increased my trigger weight right after. In fairness, it was left handed, but its a real wake up call.

Lawnboi

WKR
2lbs. Have springs to go lower and may on my match rifle but couldn’t see going lower on a hunting gun personally. My rifles are all range.... not just long range.

I think it’s crazy that most reccomend trigger springs for their tikkas. My triggers with aftermarket springs maxed at a hair over a pound. That’s just my opinion though.

I think it’s crazy that most reccomend trigger springs for their tikkas. My triggers with aftermarket springs maxed at a hair over a pound. That’s just my opinion though.

Really? I haven’t actually measured but my tikkas with springs feel twice as heavy as my rifle with a TT diamond showed up from the smith. I assumed they were approaching 2#

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Mine are right around 1lb on both my hunting and match rifles. Two-stage triggers. I don't find them too light for my use.

bpctcb

WKR
Mine is 9oz, single stage, no travel before shot, over travel screw backed all the way out.

It’s not a rifle that I let others shoot but it works well for me. I strive to keep this rifle below 1/2 moa precision and I feel the light crisp trigger helps me shoot at that level.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Ive got all my rifles set at 2 lbs. 3 felt too heavy and 1.5-1 felt scary light. I'm hyper conscious though and dont put my finger in the trigger guard until I'm on target.

Lawnboi

WKR
Really? I haven’t actually measured but my tikkas with springs feel twice as heavy as my rifle with a TT diamond showed up from the smith. I assumed they were approaching 2#
My heaviest stock is almost 2.5, lightest stock is 1 lb 12oz. I wanted to try 1.5 lbs with the Mountain tactical spring and couldn’t get there.

Pdog06

Lil-Rokslider
I put my vote in for <2lb... I have my bench rifles at about 1lb, but like my hunting rifles more in the 2lb or so range.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I moved to two-stage Geissle triggers in my rifles. I set them at just over two pounds on the break.

I can't tell you why but I shoot better with the two-stage.

Big Ern

WKR
Hunting rifle at 1.5lb
Range rifle at 14oz

All single stage.

high quality trigger with no creep is more important than what weight the trigger is set at.

TriggerTech diamond pro is the best trigger I have used to date. Worth every penny.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I used to run my triggers at 3 but they've crept down to a hair under two as Ive spent more time long range shooting. Any less and I'm not comfortable with it.

Wrench

WKR
For me, creep plays a much more pronounced affect on accuracy than weight. I tell myself "keep pulling.....keeeeeep puuuuuulling" but anything other than the sear break is a distraction.

I try to push 3-3.5# when I set the rifles up.

My heaviest stock is almost 2.5, lightest stock is 1 lb 12oz. I wanted to try 1.5 lbs with the Mountain tactical spring and couldn’t get there.

Odd. I just measured my new T3x lite 223 trigger with MT spring. The pull weight screw is almost backed out as light as it will go and i'm getting 1.4 - 1.5 # pull weight. My custom 7 SAUM feels about the same in pull weight with a yo dave spring but haven't measured it.