LR UL 28 Nosler scope choice

jeffpg

WKR
My build is complete. It's time to select the glass that will sit in the Hawkins Hybrids.

I have it narrowed down, but thought I'd see what you guys would do. I'll sling the 195 Berger of course.

I do plan to reasonably stretch the range, but this rifle does not deserve a heavy scope!

The object was to create the lightest accurate hunting rifle possible.
Here's what happened:

APR Custom
28 Nosler
26" Proof Research Light Sendero 1-8 Twist
Threaded 5/8x24 w/ Pierce Titanium Muzzle Brake
Pierce Titanium Action w/ Titanium Bolt
Titanium Recoil Lug
Jewell HVR Trigger
APR BDL Bottom Metal
Manners EH3 Midnight Camo
5lbs 15.9oz

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Wow awesome build!!! Likely gonna thump on both ends huh ;)

No ideas for a scope but let's see some pics of this thing!!! Very nice!!

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Great build! Pictures so I can develop even more gun envy. Sounds like the Bushnell LRHS 4x18 is getting good reviews and is on the light weight side of things.

Let us know what you go with.

jfronk

FNG
Definitely sounds like a sweet setup. You could go with the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 and get the ballistic turret for the top. Should be a little over 16oz.

WRO

WKR
How far do you want to shoot?

If you want to go past 800 I'd look at the following:

4.5x18 LRHS - 26.5 0z

x5 3.5x18 28oz has ZS

March 2.5x24 21.5 oz

NXS 5.5 x 22 x 50 30 oz

Razor AMG 6x24 28 oz

That's kind of the LR under 30 oz group. (i'm sure there are some I'm missing)

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA SS 3-9x42 is about as light as I'll go anymore for a scope that'll get dialed. The LRHS 3-12x is another great option.

good luck finding a scope with reliable turrets capable past 20 moa under 24 oz.

You could find a March scope that will track well and meet weight rquirements but you're sacrificing forgiving parallax and ideal reticle setups to do so. Then again, sub 6lb 28 nosler and Long Range is a contradiction in itself IMO.

I struggle at longer ranges with a 300 wsm nearing 7 lbs bare but others are likely better with their recoil management.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider the Leupold VX 6hd 3-18 either 44 or 50. I have heard great things about them especially regarding the turrets. Now obviously they are too new for real reliability data but that's what I would do. Either way you have a damn nice rifle so pick something and get after it

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Based on the recommendation of a trusted fellow shooter, I have seriously considered trying the Vortex Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15 x 42
with HSR-4 reticle, but although I have intended to see what Leupold has to offer up until now I had not looked at the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44mm. Well, I'm looking now!

The Vortex comes in at an attractive 16 ounces, but the potentially better performing Leupold is only 3 ounces more. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Does anyone have any experience at all with them?

I had the vx6 3-18 and a x5 Swarovski both when my light weight 28 nosler was built I liked the generous eye box on the leupy and the weight was nice as well , the glass is pretty nice too my only hang up was the clicks on the turret they are a bit soft not a positive feeling click but kind of soft otherwise it is a nice scope . I opted for the x5 just great glass and very solid audible click . I haven't tried the razor but have tried the viper pst .jeff