LRF Bino choices

gearguywb

WKR
I have an older set of Leica RF binos that have given me great service. Having said that, I am shopping for something newer.

In my normal paralysis by analysis mode:

Comparing the Swaro, Leica, Zeiss offerings. All 10x 42. To be used for hunting as well as some longer range shooting

My observations/analysis thus far:
Swaro: looked through these and the Leica. Thought the glass was great on the Swaro. No ballistics app. Big negative.

Leica: I thought the glasses a bit less “bright” than the Swaro. Seems like a lot of issues dropping connections to a Kestrel. Seems like a PITA in a hunting situation.

Zeiss: have not been able to physically check them out yet. Liked what I have read this far. Seems easy to use once they are set up, particularly in a hunting situation.

Thoughts? What am I not considering?

Whichever direction, I hope to be able to find a used/open box/demo set.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Either the Leica Geovids and the Zeiss Victory RFs are the way to go if you are planning on using your binos for ballistic solutions. As far as long range accuracy goes, the Victory's have a better ballistic program. The Leica's are accurate, but you can only enter G1 B.C. measurements so you have to do some truing to make sure they will give you the correct holdovers at further distance. In our opinion, the Victory's have slightly better optical performance compared to the Geovids. Both sets of binos are great options for long range shooting and hunting!

How do the current version of the Vortex Fury 5000 stack up? Are they a decent option, or completely outclassed by the Leica/Swaro?

carter33

WKR
How do the current version of the Vortex Fury 5000 stack up? Are they a decent option, or completely outclassed by the Leica/Swaro?

I stepped up from the vortex RF3000 to the Zeiss RF binos, the vortex are definitely outclassed by both the rangefinder and glass of the zeiss. That being said at a third of the cost the vortex can serve you well if you bring a drop card to use in conjunction with the range reading, it only takes a few extra seconds. If you’re in the position to buy the zeiss i would definitely do it for the glass and ballistic app but if your sacrificing other important purchases you can definitely get it done with the vortex also.

OP
G

gearguywb

WKR
I did take a look through the Vortex, and while certainly not in the Swaro/Zeiss/Leica category, they were not bad either.

The other option seems to be the Sig 3000 but I have not looked through them yet.

BlaserLRH

FNG
Leica RF are handicapped at 1,100 Y or so.
If you think to shoot past 1,000 get the zeiss, don't think it twice.

On the low end the sigsauer RF binos are a steal...