Lube!

tdhanses

WKR
What is everyone using? I use Redding imperial wax and have some lee lube as a backup. I haven’t had any issues with the Redding imperial wax, very easy to apply and haven’t dented a case yet. Now with lee I’ve had a few dented cases.

That said I see there is a dry lube for case necks, is it any good or not worth it?

bsnedeker

WKR
I use the RCBS lube pad and lube...never tried a dry lube or spray but have heard they give great results.

What is everyone using? I use Redding imperial wax and have some lee lube as a backup. I haven’t had any issues with the Redding imperial wax, very easy to apply and haven’t dented a case yet. Now with lee I’ve had a few dented cases.

That said I see there is a dry lube for case necks, is it any good or not worth it?

been using since the 1970's

mtnkid85

WKR
Lee lube mostly, but I do have a can of one shot spray for when Im feeling lazy.

Applied in the appropriate amounts I havent had issues with either one.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Started with RCBS Lube pad and lube, it worked fine but wanted to try something different. Went to One Shot spray, it was OK but got one case stuck(probably my own fault). Now I use Unique and so far happy with results.

I use the Lee Resizing Lubricant. After 50 years of using Quaker State Super Blend on a stamp pad, RCBS lube (the sticky stuff reminded me of Pine tree sap), and several others I have found Lee to be the best. I do however use the Imperial Sizing wax on my Larry Willis collet die, because that is what he recommended to use. I didn't care for it for resizing though, so I use it only for the collet die operation.

Last edited:
Started with RCBS Lube pad and lube, it worked fine but wanted to try something different. Went to One Shot spray, it was OK but got one case stuck(probably my own fault). Now I use Unique and so far happy with results.

I had issues with stuck cases with the one shot until I learned to shake it quite a bit before using. Not a single stuck case since.

4ester

WKR
Mostly use Unique. It’s cheap, lasts forever.

I just put a little on my fingers, and run the case a tiny bit as I put it into the press. I take a q-tip and do all the necks in the reloading block.

I don’t really care for one shot..... the only time I’ve ever stuck a case. I’m just picked up some Imperial.... jury is still out until it gets more use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like one shot but have used Redding imperial and RCBS spray and RCBS lube pad. I do occasionally use the Redding dry neck lube and media on new brass for first loading

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Is the dry lube not that good or has it not been tried by most? Think I’ll order some to try just to see what I think.

- - - Updated - - -

I like one shot but have used Redding imperial and RCBS spray and RCBS lube pad. I do occasionally use the Redding dry neck lube and media on new brass for first loading

Why do you only use the dry lube on new brass and not fired?

I use one shot spray on everything, just make sure I dous them good. It’s easy and I’ve never had a stuck case.

I’ve used Hornady unique when I ran out of spray, works well but why spend more time on it than necessary?

I use dry lube when turning necks.

Is the dry lube not that good or has it not been tried by most? Think I’ll order some to try just to see what I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you only use the dry lube on new brass and not fired?

I'm trying to remember but it had something to do with the brass not having any carbon built up internally yet so the dry lube helped the bullet seat more consistent and not feel gritty. Once fired will have a little carbon unless you stainless tumble then it will be pretty much bare brass. I'll try to find my notes on it. I believe it came down to either once fired and some carbon in the neck, dry lube or HBN coated bullets for consistent seating force and also helps prolong cold welding of bullet to brass.

I use imperial lube for my single stage loaded rounds. But for when I'm cranking out just pure number (223, 300 blk) I use a home brew of 12:1 alcohol and lanolin

rayporter

WKR
for benchrest I use imperial and handle each and every case to lube and inspect them. I have a tub of imperial from le clear industries made in Newark ohio about 1977. and another tub from Michigan 10 years or so later.

I see the newest if made in new York.

for p dog stuff I use one shot. and I keep the graphite and moly powdered stuff on the bench all the time. sometimes it has a use for seating.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the Imperial wax. I switched to one shot for a while which worked fine, but am back to Imperial now. I didn't like spraying the One Shot indoors and was too lazy to do it outside.

The dry lube can be helpful if you are ultrasonic cleaning. The ultrasonic cleaning can sometimes etch the inside of the neck causing more friction when seating bullets. You can apply it to the inside of the necks or just dip the base of your bullets in it.

Last edited:
OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I picked up some dry lube, figure I’ll use it for neck sizing and the imperial I’ll keep using on the body.

Last edited: