Lucked out and Drew WYO Unit 7

Not looking for anyones "Honey Hole" hahah
Actually wondering more so about roads, is water hard to find and other misc things like that. I will be out there the first 20 days or so of September.
I have had good luck in WY general units but never been in the sort of Country Unit 7 looks like. (have only hunted heavy timbered grizzly country in MT, ID and WY).
I would love to do a scouting trip but with the current state this country is in and economy, might not be able to make it.

Any advice on Road conditions, like ones to avoid unless you have a jacked up jeep. Will probably spend a night or two "in town" (usually do a 17 day trip), Probably in Douglas, any advice on cafe's or hotel/motels?

wytx

WKR
Douglas might be a drive for your hunt unless you concentrate on the east side.
pm sent

cgasner1

WKR
How many points did it take you to draw this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the tag! I've hunted Unit 7 twice with an outfitter and there are some really great elk around there. We camped once and stayed in Douglas the other time with a ~45 drive to the private area we were hunting around Warbonnet Peak. Here's the bull I shot there on the 1st night of my 2018 archery hunt.

Later,
Jared
f7ce144da1107e811a64dd46e92625eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Congrats on the tag! I've hunted Unit 7 twice with an outfitter and there are some really great elk around there. We camped once and stayed in Douglas the other time with a ~45 drive to the private area we were hunting around Warbonnet Peak. Here's the bull I shot there on the 1st night of my 2018 archery hunt.

Later,
Jared
f7ce144da1107e811a64dd46e92625eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
WOW that is a GIANT!! Congrats.

Man congrats on that tag. Ill be looking to draw that tag one day but getting in late probably won't draw for another 6 years or so. Good luck to you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I hunted Wagonhound last year and can’t recommend them enough. Great outfitter, guides, lodge and a ton of elk.
41af02fd4a23a3b945129d83e5b7115f.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations definitely some big bulls to be had but not a slam dunk. Id do as much as you can from home know all your access points talk with blm and forest service. Start talking with any ranches that make sense can never hurt to call

wytx

WKR
I hunted Wagonhound last year and can’t recommend them enough. Great outfitter, guides, lodge and a ton of elk.
41af02fd4a23a3b945129d83e5b7115f.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Who was your guide, any chance it was Shawn ?

wytx

WKR
Not looking for anyones "Honey Hole" hahah
Actually wondering more so about roads, is water hard to find and other misc things like that. I will be out there the first 20 days or so of September.
I have had good luck in WY general units but never been in the sort of Country Unit 7 looks like. (have only hunted heavy timbered grizzly country in MT, ID and WY).
I would love to do a scouting trip but with the current state this country is in and economy, might not be able to make it.

Any advice on Road conditions, like ones to avoid unless you have a jacked up jeep. Will probably spend a night or two "in town" (usually do a 17 day trip), Probably in Douglas, any advice on cafe's or hotel/motels?

Some lodging issues in Douglas before all this stuff started happening. Lots of oil and gas type folks living there , I would check on lodging soon, might be better now but check on it before you plan to head out here.

OP
B
Some lodging issues in Douglas before all this stuff started happening. Lots of oil and gas type folks living there , I would check on lodging soon, might be better now but check on it before you plan to head out here.

Thanks for the heads up.

Overdrive

WKR
If your interested send me a PM and I can give you contact info for my friends outfitting business they have a 6500 acre Ranch leased in that area and still have available hunts for this fall.