Lucky to draw a mountain goat tag in 36A-1

Lucky to draw a mountain goat tag, have never hunted goats or even been along for someone else’s hunt. Any advice would be appreciated on summer scouting tips. Thanks again

Pzak

FNG
Congrats Byron, I also drew a tag, 27-5, this year. I am interested in summer scouting tips, and speaking with anyone who has had this tag previously.

Bighorse

WKR
I'm not familiar with that patch of habitat. When will the tag be starting in relation to your scouting?
Since you're asking....Billies, especially mature billies will get a premium piece of habitat and remain loyal to it for a time. Think of it like a bedroom or penthouse, it's got some premium features and they are reluctant to give em up. So if you indeed find a special animal, a 8+ yr old billy, he's gonna be pretty cozy in his spot. Pay attention to your route finding and how the winds play in your access zones and approach accordingly. Scouting is also about establishing safe and effective access points for Mt Goat.

Matthew57

FNG
I’d be looking in roughly that 10,000 ft elevation zone on some of the taller mountains in the area.

Lucky to draw a mountain goat tag, have never hunted goats or even been along for someone else’s hunt. Any advice would be appreciated on summer scouting tips. Thanks again

Never hunted Idaho goats, but can't be much different than anywhere else. Goats like cliffs, generally, so the rougher the better. Billies tend to be segregated from nannies and are usually positioned higher on the mountain. Billies have thicker horns and a more gradual curvature to the horns, whereas nannies typically have a sharp hook toward the end of the horn. Billies also possess a large glandular secretion pad at the rear base of the horns and this gland gives the horns an overall thicker appearance. In terms of localized intel, the local area biologist and the local Forest Service enforcement officer will be your best resources.

H280

FNG
I hope you show pics of what you get down man! You drew the tag I’ve wanted since I was a kid!