Luggage for Trip?

Looked around and couldn’t find anything so wanted to ask here, since most of us are flying from the lower 48.

What is everyone using as luggage for clothes and such to get to AK? Thinking I can use my pack and a mid sized duffel for clothes and misc gear. However if they make me check my pack, not sure how I feel about them tossing it around only to arrive with a broken bag so looking at options.

*Mods please move if necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I fly around Alaska for hunts I put my pack into an osprey duffle, so I don't have to worry about the straps, and check that. I then just use either a small duffle or backpack for carry on

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The Cabelas Ripcord rolling duffel in XL will hold two bows, arrows, quiver, your hunting clothes, pack etc. I hold the weight to 49#s and duffel the left over gear in another smaller duffel. The Ripcord only cost $159 last year and is holding up well after extensive northern use in Canada this year. Carry you optics and electronics on board in a carry-on. Good luck!

I snagged a kuiu Taku 5500 for this specific purpose. I was debating between that and the 9000, but glad I went with the 5500. It perfectly fits my kifaru reckoning/26" frame to keep all the straps from getting caught on things - and then it will still have plenty of room for my boots and various dry/stuff sacks of clothing, sleeping bag, etc. Then I just plan on taking a carry on backpack for electronics/optics and just leave that at the hangar. My trip isn't for a couple years, but I like buying gear waaaay ahead of time. Figure I can use it for other applications for the time being.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I use two Sitka Nomads. I add a few dry sacks and big empty duffle to get meat home to the rest of the gear/food/weapons. Carry on optics/electronics and a change of travel clothes.

Stid2677

WKR
We pack our gear in totes,, these are nested 2 together, then packed with gear and placed into large nylon duffle bags. Once we get ready to come back, game meat and hide are placed into the totes and removable zip ties are used to secure the lids though holes I drill for that purpose. The lids will come off when full of meat and TSA needs to inspect so reusable zip ties or small pieces of copper wire. The gear is placed back into the duffles and it is all shipped back on the airline. I keep the totes to 99 lbs or less and pay the extra bag charge. This photo the lids are taped,, learned from this trip to use the zip ties.

IMG_1765_zps2ronixap.jpg

I have used the Sitka Nomad for a few trips where I needed the bow and gear all in one bag. I love the size of the thing, but really am disappointed with the quality. The zippers are stiff, the buttons are all busted, it discolors really badly, and the bottom doesn't have any sort of frame to protect the bow around the sides like the Badlands version. I actually ordered the Badlands version, and it was delayed and then backordered, so I ended up with the Sitka. Since I sank $400 into it, I still use it, but I get cranky every time I do.

For the backpack, as above, I toss it into a cheap duffel bag to protect it.

OP
E
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I do have a nomad but like others have stated I’m not a fan due to the “oversized” fees on top of it getting pretty beaten up by airlines so just mainly use it for road trips. Luckily I’ll be going with my rifle vs my bow so not too worried about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Do yourself a favor, and set aside time to check your rifle sights after you get to AK. I would say my scope gets knocked off zero 1 out of every 4 or 5 times I fly with my rifle, the TSA folks don't care about "Handle with Care". :)

I do have a nomad but like others have stated I’m not a fan due to the “oversized” fees on top of it getting pretty beaten up by airlines so just mainly use it for road trips.

Just as a note, I've probably flown 15 times on 5 different airlines with the Nomad. I keep it under 50 pounds, and have never gotten charged an oversized bag fee.

I don't overthink it. 2 big duffels do the job. No way am I interested in any true 'luggage' for such trips. I pack everything carefully and have no issues. Sometimes I'll add a medium/large nylon duffel inside the bigger duffels in order to have an extra bag if needed. I usually have a rolling carry-on and I always volunteer to gate-check it all the way to my destination. I've not ever been turned down and it amounts to a 3rd piece of baggage traveling free. I'll also tell you my baggage always holds my optics, cameras, and anything I decide to put in there. I don't worry about it and I haven't had a problem doing it for going on 20 years. When it's time to board the plane, I have nothing for the overhead bin. I have a shoulder-slung messenger bag which I keep and put under the seat. The nice thing is I have no rush or concerns about boarding. I could care less if I'm the last guy on the plane because all I have to do is sit down and buckle in.