Lumbar on fire!?

03mossy

WKR
I need some advice. I have a Kuiu Pro system with the 2200 bag. I've had it for 2 years and never any issues. But I've never had anything even remotely heavy in it. The most I've ever had in there is probably 25lbs and it did fine. I want to up the weight to really start conditioning my legs for this fall. This morning I added a 40lb bag of wood pellets in a pillowcase onto the meat shelf and cinched everything down good and tight. It felt good and didn't seem to be moving around at all. 2 mins into it on the treadmill the skin on my lower back started to burn like it was chaffing. The pack didn't feel like it was moving at all but must have been. I could only keep the pack on for about 20 mins as the whole area where the lumbar pad sits felt like it was on fire. Sitting at work now 4.5 hours later its still burning. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Or is it time to look at a new pack?

I would start by shortening the torso length if possible on your pack, try to get the weight higher on your hips... it sounds like your waist belt is sitting too low from the little info you have given.... very well may not help, but it's something to try. it's very wise to do what you are doing, get a heavy load in your pack pre season, because these surprises are not good when you are 4 or 5 miles from your rig and you are just 20 minutes into what will turn into 4 trips back and forth to get your bull out of the woods.

pack fit is huge, and the kuiu system didn't work for me, but there are enough guys who like them, so they obviously work for some. i had durability issues with mine too, but i know their packs have evolved a lot since i got mine.

don't give up on it yet, try some different adjustments and try to dial in the fit, you already have that pack, and if you like it, it's worth trying to make it work for you.

on the other side, do not compromise on fit, that will bite you in the ass at the most inopportune time, you need a pack that fits you well if you plan on carrying animals out on your back, a good fitting pack allows you to carry more weight, and that allows you more freedom to hunt where you want.

also... i assume you tightened the load lifters before getting on the treadmill? leaving them loose could easily cause the discomfort you had

TheGDog

WKR
RE: skin irritation - lightly apply some Aquaphor ointment on it to calm it back down.

If I understand your post correctly *I think* you're just saying that... with whatever clothing you were wearing while on the treadmill... having the hipbelt cinched down tight caused the slight movement of that clothing upon your skin to really make it get red and irritated. Yes?

A problem I have is that because of injury I have to lumbar region... when I have the hipbelt cinched down tight... I cannot have a belt on, and.. even the seam of my pants I have to allow it to ride down a little so that it is below the hipbelt of the pack, otherwise it "grinds" that edge of the pants-belt, or pants-waist into my area of injury and that freaking kills by the end of the day.

My temporary fix for now is using First-Lite suspenders rather than a pants-belt.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
RE: skin irritation - lightly apply some Aquaphor ointment on it to calm it back down.

If I understand your post correctly *I think* you're just saying that... with whatever clothing you were wearing while on the treadmill... having the hipbelt cinched down tight caused the slight movement of that clothing upon your skin to really make it get red and irritated. Yes?
Correct. Structurally it felt just fine it was the skin that was irritated. I was just wearing gym shorts and a real thin teeshirt. Maybe I should make some adjustments like the other reply suggested and then add a layer of clothing and try again.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
I’ve really been looking at a lot of different packs online. Been paying extra attention to the lumbar area. Looking at my Kuiu pack again this morning I noticed just how far into your back the lumbar pad pushes vs other packs. The other brands look like they will spread the weight out much better and not direct all the weight on the lumbar. Take a look at the pic of mine and this pic of a mystery ranch pack, really shows the difference.

Attachments

• 6E5C5C06-7782-4FB9-AAC7-FAC0745A25FB.jpeg
    6E5C5C06-7782-4FB9-AAC7-FAC0745A25FB.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 30
  • B3F82512-B26D-467B-A41E-91248F9AF8D5.jpeg
    B3F82512-B26D-467B-A41E-91248F9AF8D5.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 30