Lumbar packs for waterfowl

Spoonbill

WKR
Has anyone used a lumbar pack for waterfowl? I’ve been looking at one for a couple walk in spots and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. Waterproof would be nice so I wouldn’t worry about it getting soaked.

I used an old field and stream one all through college. They are great if your just on a morning hunt close to the truck or dont have to pack extra clothes or gloves in the winter. Just enough room for ear pro, shells, a coffee bottle, and a few snacks. Use the belt buckle to strap it around a tree or wad of brush to keep it up off the water.

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
I used an old field and stream one all through college. They are great if your just on a morning hunt close to the truck or dont have to pack extra clothes or gloves in the winter. Just enough room for ear pro, shells, a coffee bottle, and a few snacks. Use the belt buckle to strap it around a tree or wad of brush to keep it up off the water.
Thanks, thats usually all I carry. Closest thing I had seen to what I want is the cabelas blind bag with a shoulder harness but it felt cheap when I looked at it.

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
I may have found something close to what I am looking for. https://mountainsmith.com/dry-tour.html
This with shoulder straps may do the trick. Its waterproof so if i carry my decoys on top of it, wade in past my hips, dog decides to nap on it, etc. my stuff wont get wet. Be nice to see Sitka or another high end hunting company make something like this but I imagine the market is pretty small.

j_volt

WKR
Are you dead set on a lumbar bag? For the money you could buy a sled, a blind bag, and a dry bag a couple times over.

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
Are you dead set on a lumbar bag? For the money you could buy a sled, a blind bag, and a dry bag a couple times over.
Not dead set on a lumbar bag, just looking for something more comfortable for walking in to spots. I looked at a backpack too but a lumbar bag seems like it would be more comfortable when carrying decoys.

It seems to me that it would be challenging to get your decoy bag to actually ride on the lumbar pack.

j_volt

WKR
Not dead set on a lumbar bag, just looking for something more comfortable for walking in to spots. I looked at a backpack too but a lumbar bag seems like it would be more comfortable when carrying decoys.
I love sleds! They are very versatile

Mt Al

WKR
Has anyone used a lumbar pack for waterfowl? I’ve been looking at one for a couple walk in spots and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. Waterproof would be nice so I wouldn’t worry about it getting soaked.

I use an old/large Dana Design hip sack for waterfowl or quick upland game hunts but haven't hauled decoys with the setup. Isn't waterproof, but has a "stuff it" panel on the back that's great for a jacket, then has the ability to put things on top as well. Amazing how much stuff you can put in a lumbar pack.

The Mountain Smith Dry Tour you listed above looks good. Simms has the Dry Creek Z Fishing Hip Pack, looks like it might be made in the same factory!

Another thought I had, but never did anything about, for upland, waterfowl and archery is a Mystery Ranch Hot Shot fire pack. $100 more than a dry lumbar pack, massive storage compared to a lumbar pack, has a frame so it's not a lumbar pack, but the load stays low and out of the way. Use a light roll top dry bag for things that need to stay dry. Someday...

JeffP_Or

WKR
Might sound crazy but I've successfully used a small day pack worn backwards on my chest. Maybe a 1k ci pack with no hip belt and threw it on straps back w/ pack on my chest - then I throw the 30+ decoy bag on my back. The straps from the decoy bag help hold the smaller pack and staps in place. This was for walks less than 1 mile over mostly flat/rolling lands.

Backpack then gets stored hanging from a nearby tree or something. Nice thing was the bag on my chest gave me something to rest the shotgun on while hiking [since slinging a marsh gun while wearing two packs is nearly impossible].

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
I use an old/large Dana Design hip sack for waterfowl or quick upland game hunts but haven't hauled decoys with the setup. Isn't waterproof, but has a "stuff it" panel on the back that's great for a jacket, then has the ability to put things on top as well. Amazing how much stuff you can put in a lumbar pack.

The Mountain Smith Dry Tour you listed above looks good. Simms has the Dry Creek Z Fishing Hip Pack, looks like it might be made in the same factory!

Another thought I had, but never did anything about, for upland, waterfowl and archery is a Mystery Ranch Hot Shot fire pack. $100 more than a dry lumbar pack, massive storage compared to a lumbar pack, has a frame so it's not a lumbar pack, but the load stays low and out of the way. Use a light roll top dry bag for things that need to stay dry. Someday...
Funny, I looked at the Mystery Ranch hotshot pack and thought the same thing. It looks like you could rig up a bag to carry some decoys in and attach it to the frame but I feel like that is heading down the road of creating more problems that solving them.
I will check out the Simms pack as well, thanks for the suggestion.

WCB

WKR
look at Fishpond USA. they have some good options...Maybe a sling pack would work better as you could spin it to your front and have the decoys on your back and it can't really shift as the one strap goes diagonal around you. I think Simms and other companies have similar.

Rich M

WKR
I like lumbar packs, have a horn hunter droptine fanny pack. 1500 cubic inches.

Not a true waterproof bag. Comfy tho.

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
I use this decoy bag on a lot of solo hunts. I strap my blind bag to the main straps on the back of it, or remove 1 decoy and slot the blind bag inside one of the 12 decoy slots. I wouldn't pay over $80 for it though; got mine on sale from amazon for $70. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3109536831?pid=536831
How is the quality of the blind bag? My current blind bag is an Avery bag that I got when they first came out, think this will be season 18 with it. I havent been as impressed with some of their newer stuff but if it holds up as well as my old blind bag I may take a look.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Spoonbill I don't use an avery blind bag, just the decoy bag I linked to. I use a small scheels blind bag for walk-ins and a large cabelas one when I can drive in.