Lumbar Pad, Kuiu Ultra

Right now I have a mystery ranch Sawtooth 45 with the new waist belt and a Kuiu ultra 2200 with ultra frame loded down to 68lb-70lb.

I like how streamline and light weight the Kuiu is but after trying to adjust it every way possible, watching Kuiu’s video and talking to customer service I can’t get away from the lumbar pad driving hard into the small of my back. It leaves a large red mark on the small of my back after wearing it for 10 min or so around the house

When I put the Sawtooth 45 on I can feel the lumbar pad slightly driving into my lower back but nothing like the Kuiu.

I’m thinking just the way the Kuiu is designed it will drive into the lower back when loaded down. Has anyone been able to remedy this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mntnere

FNG
With weight and the load lifters used properly, they help make the load more verticle .Mostly in hips, Otherwise the weight would be pulling away from shoulders and forced at an angle toward your lumbar . I've not experienced any lumbar issues with mine. But where I hunt it's cold and normally layered pretty good , maybe that helps too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
T
With weight and the load lifters used properly, they help make the load more verticle .Mostly in hips, Otherwise the weight would be pulling away from shoulders and forced at an angle toward your lumbar . I've not experienced any lumbar issues with mine. But where I hunt it's cold and normally layered pretty good , maybe that helps too.

That makes sense, I just need to figure out how to make the load more vertical instead of a fulcrum where the lumbar pad pushes hard into my back.

. Do you have any pictures you could share with me? Right now I have the bottom of the bag close to the frame creating a V to keep the 70lbs up as high as possible but I think that is a possibly creating a fulcrum and driving the pad into my back

OP
T
Not at the moment. Right now I'm in hurricane mode.

Good luck, I hope everything goes as good as possible for you and your family!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might consider getting the new pro suspension, it has adjustment in the lumbar pad.

OP
T
Might consider getting the new pro suspension, it has adjustment in the lumbar pad.

Thanks for the recommendation, I thought about that. I only paid $58 for the ultra on sale and the pro would be another approx $70. Total pack cost near $400.

Is the pro much better than the ultra? I’ve spent hours adjusting the ultra every way possible. But no matter what, once I get past 35 or 40lbs the lumbar pad digs into my back to the point where it leaves large red marks on my lower back just from walking around the house with it on.

Called customer service twice but they were not very helpful

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the recommendation, I thought about that. I only paid $58 for the ultra on sale and the pro would be another approx $70. Total pack cost near $400.

Is the pro much better than the ultra? I’ve spent hours adjusting the ultra every way possible. But no matter what, once I get past 35 or 40lbs the lumbar pad digs into my back to the point where it leaves large red marks on my lower back just from walking around the house with it on.

Called customer service twice but they were not very helpful

Sorry I only have limited experience with the old icon pro. I’ve been intrigued by the new pro and was just pointing it out (lumbar adjustment) since I find that very handy on my stone glacier.

Mntnere

FNG
Good luck, I hope everything goes as good as possible for you and your family!

Anytime the pack is open and closed at the bottom you create a fulcrum at the bottom. Cinch all straps tight , I haven't had an issue but everyone is different. As to what others have said I've ordered the new pro suspension just because of the wider harness straps and the lumbar pad can be moved slightly up or down. Hope somehow you get it comfortable for yourself
Made out ok in hurricane. Thanks. Now I'm working like usual

azn9879

FNG
I have the new icon pro and old icon pro suspension. The new suspension is worth it much more supportive and better cusion. Almost a night and day diffrence with the new lumbar pad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A 4

FNG
I agree that the new Pro belt is fantastic.

I did have a similar problem at one point with lower back pressure. I found the solution to be making sure the torso adjustment was long/tall enough. If the torso is too short, tension in the shoulder straps is directed mostly in the vertical plane as downward pressure on the shoulders. You either have to way overcompensate by tightening the load lifters a ton or will be leaning forward constantly to avoid the pack feeling like it is tipping backwards.

This really sunk in when listening to a podcast with the Exo guys where they said they will lengthen the torso on their packs when under heavy load to compensate for any belt slippage.

Having a long enough torso adjustment on the pack is very important to maintaining a vertical load distribution on the hips and avoiding that fulcrum on the lower back.