Lumbar Pad UPDATE

There is another post pertaining to the Lumbar Pad on the Kifaru Duplex suspension. Several of us have experienced quite a bit of discomfort from the lumbar pad. I had originally had 50lbs in my DT3 and it felt like ALL 50lbs were concentrated directly on the lumbar pad. I ended up removing the composite stays and installing the aluminum stays. It did help a little as you are able to fine tune the aluminum stays for a true custom fit. However, the majority of the weight was still directly on the lumbar pad. For me personally I feel the pad is so big that it does not allow the belt to distribute the weight evenly.

Today I received a WrapTech Lumbar Pad from Kifaru. Upon changing out the pads I loaded up my DT3 with the same 50lbs (corn in a Meat bag) as I previously had in. The results......NIGHT AND DAY as far as comfort!! I could immediately feel that the weight was evenly distributed around the whole belt and not just concentrated on that lumbar pad. The WrapTech Lumbar pad just turned a good pack into an amazing pack for me.

I fully understand the stock pad works for many. However if you are one that has experienced discomfort due to the large pad. The WrapTech pad makes an absolute WORLD of difference in carrying comfort.

-Jim

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear you found something that would work for you! I am blessed in that the stock pads seem to work fine for me, at least up to the 75ish pound max I would ever pack with them. Packs fit each individual differently, so it's great to know folks have other options to best fit their individual body types.

JPD350

WKR
Any issues with the loose material from the outer cover bunching up?

My thoughts exactly, it seems my pad as it is and as it gets worn has angled itself upward to where the bottom of the stays are well below the pad.

OP
H
Any issues with the loose material from the outer cover bunching up?

Ya know that was my only concern about changing pads. However there is ZERO excess material or unused space. The Wraptech pad completely fills the pocket snug. I didn't actually hold them together but it may be a tad longer/wider making it fit snug?? Reguardless the reason, it fits absolutely PERFECT! Best of all it feels 1000% better!

hflier

WKR
I think I need one of these. Are they on the web site or do I need to call? Do they still sell this Wraptech pad separately?