Lumbar Pad

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Kifaru DT2 for awhile now and seem to get lower back fatigue from the lower lumbar pad. I've tried multiple heights with the suspension but so far nothing seems to help. Put close to 40 miles in it with loads from 35-65 lbs and my only complaint is the lumbar pad. I've not gotten a blister or rub marks but my low back feels like its getting the skin rubbed off. I have even tried different shirts while using it. Also after about 2-3 hours of hiking my lower back muscles are tired feeling and sore, no bruising either. I'll call Kifaru this week when they open, just got back from the woods so I thought I would throw the question out here as well.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Jordan,

Give me a call if you have time and we can go over the lumbar pad/fit of the pack....

It may be something simple, but a quick phone call will figure it out for sure.

720-937-1418

Aron

ive been kind of running into the same thing, granted ive only got 2 trips in with mine so im not sure if i have it all adjusted properly yet but im experiencing some of the low back fatigue and soreness on the lumbar pad

littlebuf

Banned
had the same thing when i first got my T1.Ive got several miles on it now and with no problems. but it took two trips with various weights to get it fit just right. once i did however it was a ah-ha moment.also i believe they need some break in.but with the use youve got it should be already. aaron will get you squared away i'm sure.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I had this problem. I was using the standard composite stays in my T1. I talked to Kevin at Kifaru and we determined that I needed to swap out the composites stays with Aluminum semi-flat back stays. The problem went away immediately! The normal composite stay form was placing all of the lumbar pad pressure on one point and it wasn't a good feeling at all.

OP
J

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, talked with Aron last-night and hflier hit it on the head, sounds like
I'll be changing stays.

MattB

WKR
Sometimes overtightening the two straps thet connect between the bag and side of the hip belt (delta straps?) can cause that sort of symptom too. I personally take the slack out of them but do not "tighten" them if that makes sense.

sk1

WKR
im a little scared because i went with the composite stays.....but i talked with aron before the purchase and we think they might work for me.....i hope they do id rather not have to change them out, ive got a hunt that starts a few days after i get my pack

nice to know there are options if you have issues though.....let us know if the new stays fix the problem

My DT3 will be here tuesday. I hope it's as comfortable as the T3 with the Wrap Tech suspension?? That thing fit incredibly comfortable with the carbon stays.

My DT3 will be here tuesday. I hope it's as comfortable as the T3 with the Wrap Tech suspension?? That thing fit incredibly comfortable with the carbon stays.
My DT3 did arrive. I am EXTREMELY happy with the pack and frame. I like it much more than myT3. However, I do not care for the giant lumbar pad. I absolutely love the Wrap Tech suspension sysyem. I can only hope the duplex suspension breaks in with time??

ive been kind of running into the same thing, granted ive only got 2 trips in with mine so im not sure if i have it all adjusted properly yet but im experiencing some of the low back fatigue and soreness on the lumbar pad

i shortened up the torso length and put about 38 more miles on and ive got no further complaints..
seems i have to ride the kifaru up higher on my hips than i typically have with other packs

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
So far high or low that giant pad is just killing me! I want my wraptech with the frame.

The foam in the lumbar pad is removable. What I've found in comparing the foam in a Duplex lumbar pad with a wraptech lumbar pad is the "denser" part of the dual density foam is thicker in the Duplex pad. You could trim off some of the "denser" foam to make the pad thinner or buy some foam and replace it. If you have access to a wraptech pack you could put the wraptech foam in the duplex lumbar pad to see if it feels better.

The foam in the lumbar pad is removable. What I've found in comparing the foam in a Duplex lumbar pad with a wraptech lumbar pad is the "denser" part of the dual density foam is thicker in the Duplex pad. You could trim off some of the "denser" foam to make the pad thinner or buy some foam and replace it. If you have access to a wraptech pack you could put the wraptech foam in the duplex lumbar pad to see if it feels better.

Maybe I will see if kifaru will sell me the pad and try and fit it. Because that giant pad is just horrible at this point.

cmeier117

WKR
Are you guys who are having problems do you have the composite stays? Have you tried the aluminum stays and flattened them out at all?

I have the composite and they fit like a dream in my standard T3 so I didn't think otherwise when it came to this one? I will just try and order a wraptech pad and try and replace it?

I just think that pad is grossly over sized. Like I said before. The belt doesnt even touch my body until it starts coming around my side. All the pack weight is pushing on that square pad. I absolutely LOVE the frame but that pad seriously sucks. The wraptech lumbar pad was simply perfect.

-Jim